Double Flying Mirror TRs | FerrariChat

Double Flying Mirror TRs

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TSMIV, Jul 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    How rare/common are they?

Are they factory or aftermarket?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If I'm understanding what's on Edvar's site correctly, the double high mirrors are fairly uncommon and probably not "factory" installed:

go to www.red-headed.com
    enter the site
    click on "Articles"
    click on "versions" (under testarossa)
    click on "mirrors"

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Also, how about the '85 TRs? How many were made, and am I right in thinking they had no side mirrors?

4. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    The '85 had a single high mirror.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    85 and 86 TR's had a single drivers side, high mount mirror. 87 and up have two low mount mirrors. Buyers of early TR's complained of not having a mirror on the right side (left hand drive cars) as well as complaints of the cosmetics of that design. The mounting position had to be changed so that both mirrors could be used from the drivers position. All 85 U.S. cars came with the single mirror, some may have been removed, and certainly several were added to the right side.

6. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Some people added a second mirror to their '85 and '86 cars. It is essentialy the RHD mirror affixed to the car.

It is purely for cosmetic reasons. From a practical standpoint it is useless - because of the shape of the mirror / support - the mirror is in pretty much a direct line with the A pillar. You would have to do some gymnastics to see anything out of it - even for parking.

Scottie

7. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I appreciate all the replies.

I prefer the look of the double flying mirror to the lower mirrors or single flying mirror.

I fell in love with the dfm TR spider in "OutRun" and have been looking for one ever since.

While the second flying mirror may not be very practical, but it looks a whole lot better than having a low mirror and a flying mirror. I have seen one or two like this and they are ghastly to say the least.

8. braincuttermd

braincuttermd Karting

May 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I love the single high flying mirror due to my love of Miami Vice.

9. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I can attest to that. I drove an '85 TR a couple of weeks ago that had the high RH mirror. I could not see it from the drivers seat. Suprisingly, there is not too bad of a blind spot on the right side thanks to the length of the right rear window. Then again, I was not driving in traffic.

This car is also for sale. '85 TR, Black/Tan, ~76,000 miles. It ran well. I can get more information if anyone is interested. The car is located in SE Wisconsin.

10. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I have a single high mounted left side mirror and love the looks. Testarossa's grab your attention. The asymetrical look of that huge mirror mounted up high makes you take a second look. I've never really noticed the mirrors on a car before but once you see an early TR mirror you remember it. I don't really have any complaints about rear vision and don't miss having a second mirror. The center mounted rear view mirror is a pretty cool device too. Have you ever taken one apart to see how it works? There is more to it than you realize. Some engineer spent a lot of time on that device.

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I like the look of the single high mirror. I recently saw one on ebay with 2 high mirrors, but preferred the look of the single mirror.

It looks a little more exotic than the lower mirrors on my 88.

I read once that the high mirror was due to a law that you had to have 100% visibility to the rear. Once the law changed to 80% visibility, the mirror got changed back to its originally intended lower position.

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    What is going on inside the rear view mirror?

13. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    The center rear view mirror is quite an engineering piece of work. There is a pane of clear glass on the outside that gives the appearance of it being a plain old flat mirror like you would find in any other car. But, once you open it up you quickly realize that there is a mirror behind the flat pane of glass. The mirror is set an an angle so that it works almost like a periscope. The rear window on a Testarossa is very small and the "sugar scoop" shaped rear exterior limits side visibility but the mirror seams to overcome all that. I can actually see more through the mirror than by turning my head and looking out the rear glass. Kudo's to whomever designed the device.

The side mirror looks great but the reality is that it vibrates at high speed and I can't see anything through it above 70 mph. It's usefulness is limited to low speed driving. I use the side mirror to make sure I don't catch the 6 foot wide TR rear end on my garage door as I back out. Other than that, it's just for looks.

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks for the info!

The low mirrors on my TR work quite good - Better than the 328 I had.

15. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    The factory never made a "double" high mirror. The first Testarossas (1984) ha a single high mounted mirror - and by the way also had central locking wheel nuts.

Any car with 2 mirrors mounted high had an after-market modification done

16. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I use a a small mirror on a suction cup that I found at Pep Boys years ago that is stuck to the right of the rear view mirror on the windscreen. This helps me see the right side of the car when changing lanes. I also love the single mirror.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The TR looks much better with the single mirror anyway IMHO.