355 cooling fans | FerrariChat

355 cooling fans

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by david1175, Jul 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. david1175

david1175 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    in the doghouse
    Full Name:
    David
    Have there been issues w/ cooling fans w/ 355's? I only have 16,500 miles on my 1995 (Dec. 95 build, 104 serial #) and the right fan isn't working at all and the left started making noise, obviously starting to cause some overheating.
    Is this a common problem? What is most economical, but proper fix to this issue? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks you.

2. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    I may be wrong, but I think the left one is radiator fan for water, and the other one is for the oil cooler. I've got a '96 Spider and was looking at the coolng diagram the other day.

Regards,

Pete

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Actually the car has water radiators on both sides and an oil cooler on one side only so both fans cool water radiators while one also ventilates the oil cooler. There have been issues with the fans themselves, but also the thermo switches that operate them (each fan has it's own and they switch on at different temps.). If you want your motor to survive, make sure they both work.

4. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Makes sense.

I'm assuming the left one is water temperature activated, and the right one is oil temperature activated ... yes/no?

Pete

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No, one is activated by a dedicated sw. in the cooling sys. The other is activated by the Motronic coolant temp sensor.