Armstrong is like Schumacher? | FerrariChat

Armstrong is like Schumacher?

Discussion in 'F1' started by F SPIDER, Jul 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    The Tour de France is much worse than F1 racing. Lance Armstrong is the best tactician and has a lot of Baricellos and team orders around to make him champion.

I don't understand all the complaning about Schumacher dominating the Ferrari team. I just love the strategic thinking.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'd say this summer soccer (football) is the sport to watch. Greece winning the Euro, that's like the Jordan team winning the title. Kewl stuff.

3. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    And the Belgians taking EPO, i'm not very happy btw.

4. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Michael Schumacher is the greatest driver to step into an F1 car ever and Scuderia Ferrari is the best F1 team ever created. Smart and intelligent racing pays off. The critics need to undertstand that F1 is a team sport.

5. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    The amount of similarities are impressive. I just think Lance seems like much more of a 'real' guy than MS.

6. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    You can say that again...

7. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Schumacher has the advantage of being in the best car. Bicycles in the pro peloton are pretty similar, so Armstrong anihalates all in his path because he is the supreme athlete. Mind, you being lighter by one testicle should make him quicker up the hills!

I'm currently watching the highlights of the Alpe d'huez TT. If Lance beats his team mates, he is clearly the cream of the USPs, so comparisons with MS and RBs team orders are rubbish. And his consistency in beating his non USPS rivals clearly marks him as the best rider in the TDF peloton. Hence comparisons with MS are pointless.....

8. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Sletti,

I agree with you completely. It's funny how the best athletes get the most moans and jeers because no one else is on the same level.

9. The Godmother

The Godmother Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Marci H.
    You must also take into account that Michael AND Lance both have tremendous workout programs. Lance starts training at least 6 months before the event - both workouts and bicycling. Evidently, Michael works out year round. That is why these guys are number 1 and stay number 1.

Years ago, workout programs like these did not exist. I do, however, remember training for my college ski team. And I thought that was difficult - but I was in great shape!

10. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Just got back to Fchat after watching the end of the Alpe d'Huez TT.

How can anyone question that he is the hardest man in pro cycling, and probably the toughest damn athlete in the world. Years of Indurain dominance was very dull, but the years of Armstrongs dominance have been great (and I'm no Americanophile!)

11. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    UPS is a team with money, unlike the majority of the teams. They spend as much on a weight reduction program for Lance's shoes as the other teams on a whole bicycle. The whole team is build around Lance and he has always the best tactics.

It souns a lot like Michael's approach.

12. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Great comments all. Would it be realistic to say Lance is the best cyclist ever? It would be obvious to say yes, but I wonder how dominate Eddie Mercxx would be in this modern era, where so much technology and fitness regimines are the norm.

BTW, Lance's "specially painted" Trek TT bike from lastnight looked very similar to a Litespeed to me. I could be way off though.......

13. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'd quite like to see the current Lance in the Giro or Vuelta. Very impressive in the Tour, oh yes.

Greatest ever? He's certainly good, but no Merckx though.

14. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    I suppose the nature of modern training methods meanth that the window of ultimate fitness get smaller and smaller. True, the likes of Hinault and Mercx won more races, but they effectively spread their fitness out over the season. Comparing Mercx with Armstrong as meaningless as comparing Fangio with Schumacher. Neither would survive long in the other's shoes.

15. cavallino2002

cavallino2002 Rookie

Jul 10, 2004
    montreal canada
    Full Name:
    giuseppe laurieri
    I agree both Lance & Micheal train at very intense levels.

I'm sure Micheal could keep up with Lance in a peloton & maybe even give him a little run for his money...lol

Micheal probably has done less Steroids than Lance though.............

16. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    It would be interesting to see how Lance Armstrong would do in F1 competition.

17. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    If he's no good at driving a racing car, then he probably wouldn't do very well at all!

From a fitness standpoint, his neck and possibly his arm muscles wouldn't be strong enough, but other than that he should have no problem with the stresses of driving an F1 car (as he's already extremely fit).

18. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    HOLY !!!!!

We just found ourselves an American Driver for F1! I am dead serious too. He has the grit and determination it would take to be successful in F1.

Maybe I am too eager to see an American behind the wheel of an F1 car, but this has Armstrong written all over it.

19. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Is suspect that Michael would not have the techniques to succeed in Pro cycling, any more than Lance would in F1...

In the past I have trained my nuts off and reacehd a very high level of fitness (compared with my peers), bur I was only ever an "adequate" rider, where riders less fit than I, would win on a regular basis as their technique was better.

20. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Sletti has highlighted my point.

To succeed as a racing driver, Armstrong would need to have both a high level of fitness and technique/talent.

Unfortunately he has no experience in motor racing, so there is no way he could suddenly be battling it out competatively with the best in Formula 1.

21. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    The comparisons that can be made between Mercx and Senna are interesting as well.

22. poe kaz

poe kaz Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brady
    armstrong and ms are alot alike, the both dominate the sport they compete in and some like them and others dont like how they dominate. like people spitting on armstrong and the FIA trying to slow ferrari down with the rule changes. i think that the smaller teams will be injured rather than ferrari