M4 SPEED CAMERAS----WARNING----- | FerrariChat

M4 SPEED CAMERAS----WARNING-----

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Here's an e-mail i recieved this morning.not sure if it's a spoof, but best to take care until we find out for sure----------------

WARNING Speed Camera's

For those of you who don't know already: Those new electronic signs on the M4 were switched on this Tuesday. The bad news is that they are rigged with the SPECS speed cameras.

SPECS is a computer-camera based system. As you go past the sign a digital camera reads your number plate. When you go past the next sign your number plate is read again. The computer 'knows' how far apart the signs are so it can work out your average speed between the two, or three or four.

The system is fully automatic and will issue a ticket without any form of human intervention. It does this for every single vehicle that passes. You will not know you've been caught as the cameras don't flash. They work 24/7, 365 days a year, and theoretically, there's absolutely no limit on the number of tickets that the system can issue. The whole section of the M4 between Theale (J12) and Membury Services (between 14 and 15) is wired, both ways. The system is set to trigger a ticket at 78 mph. Radar detectors will be of no use as SPECS is entirely passive, there is no radar or laser beam to detect.

Be warned and spread the news.

2. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    It is indeed a spoof....

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    good news! thanks jeff...

4. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Bet it's only a matter of time though ! B**stards !

5. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Its a strange thing though, I was travelling on the M6 last weekend and a pal pointed out that on the "back" of the gantries was something that was covered over. These things, what ever they are were on all the overheads, have a look next time you travel the M6, you can see them on the other side of the road.

6. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    It could be worse - you could be a truck driver.

The Highways Agency is introducing something called WIMS (Weigh in Motion Sensors) which can tell if a truck is overloaded while it's on the move. It's all done with sensors in the road surface. If you are over weight, you're pulled over for a jolly good telling off..

Oh, and they also know if you're speeding as well, of course...

The SPECS system is also known as ANPR - automatic number plate recognition. They do indeed 'read' number plates, but the main purpose is to detect stolen vehicles (the computer links up to the DVLA & police databases..).

Ain't technology wonderful...

John

7. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrades,

The Road Angel informs when one enters a SPECS and reminds every thirty seconds whilst within it then gives a final signal when one egresses the area.

8. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    I was caught twice in two weeks by these new cameras(roadworks at the Folkestone end of M20). :mad:

Camera is about the size of a pint glass, fixed onto an ornate styled post which is placed in the central reservation. Although it only 'hangs' over the fast lane, it covers all lanes.

Always wondered about the legality of these in terms of warning signs and yellow highlighting.

PS Hence the need to get my hands on a Road Angel before I get my first Fcar!!!!!!!!!

9. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    they also like to put them on the back of bridges so you acnnot see them, get the road angle it tells you of average speed locations