308 exhaust pipes weeping | FerrariChat

308 exhaust pipes weeping

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LopeAlong, Jul 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have an '83 308 where by the time the warmup is complete the left side pipes are wet and spitting. The right side (from the back) is dry as a bone. I understand the '83s kept the banks separated and is a true dual exhaust. Could this mean I am having injector problems? Plugs look fine and after a spirited drive both sides are dry. Or could this just be the low side that collects the moisture?

Thanks guys.
    Jim

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    what is it spitting? water, gas, water with gas in it, etc.. does it do it at home? first thing in the morning? lots of variables involved here.

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    83--that would be a 4-valve?
    The 4-valve cars do NOT have a dual exhaust(true) since there is a 2-to-1 collector pipe just before the muffler.

4. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Atlantaman, yes it is a 4v, but as I understand it the '83s were still separated (last year, that's why they sound better than the 84 on up - OEM exhaust that is!). I've been all over the motor, but embarressed to say, I have never really looked at how the exhaust was routed!

Tatcat, it appears to be water, but it does have a gas odor to it. I think the car is running a little rich, but it had been gone through and adjusted about a year ago by the PO. It will do this morning, noon, night, hot or cold weather. Both sides will puff a little steam until the cats are up to temp. It just seems odd that the one side is so bad?

Jim

5. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    The driver's side has less flow and will condense until the motor is warmed up. While the engine is running, put your hand behind each side and notice the flow difference. This is normal...Patrick