Interest in a Track Day? | FerrariChat

Interest in a Track Day?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by noahlh, Jul 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Ok, so I mentioned this before casually, and Emil said it'd be too expensive, but I've been doing some research and am coming to a slightly different conclusion.

This is what I'm envisioning:

We pick a nice fall day, sometime in October/early November.

We get a big 'ol group of f-chatters & friends, from NY, NJ, PA, and maybe even New England (30? 50? 60? cars).

We rent out a road coarse for that day (as opposed to a big oval track with big walls to crash into).

We get Classic Coach to provide track technical support.

We hire some instructors to provide instruction to those of us without formal racing training (i.e. me) or those of us who just have no skillz (i.e. you)

We spend the day driving like the madmen we are in a (somewhat) safe, (slightly more) controlled environment, get some track time under our belts, get some new racing skills, and have an ABSOLUTE FRIGGIN' BLAST.

This is what I'm thinking. I seriously think it would be outrageously fun, and I'd love to see all of our cars going head-to-head on the track. Yes, I realize that there are formal events put on by FCA, etc. that offer this kind of experience, but as Emil pointed out a lot of the "weekend racers" who do that sort of thing take it WAAAAAAAY too seriously, get way too competitive, and take some of the fun out of it. I'm thinking we do this as a group of friends/fchatters/friends of fchatters thing, and make sure we remember that we're doing it for fun and on our terms.

Tell me if this sounds A) amazingly fun and awesome or B) idiotic, and more importantly, regardless of what you answered, whether or not you'd be interested in an event like this.

--Noah

2. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Go to Limerock Part this Fri and Sat (July 30 & 31) to see just that.

3. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    noah, how much $$ do you think this event will cost per person?

mark, you have a beautiful 355! where u at?

4. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Noah,

Contact Jim at Classic. He's their event planner and coordinator guy (among other things). We'll need insurance and instructors for the new guys.

Emil

5. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    sounds like fun

6. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Jon I'm in Paramus NJ. About 15 min. west of NYC.

7. udalmia

udalmia Guest

youre real close to me mark, im in fort lee

8. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    thats chill... where youve hiding? just get your car?
    you should join us on our wild adventures.

9. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Hey Mark, I'm right next door in Ridgewood. Haven't seen you out and about in these parts. That is a beautiful 355 you have there...wanna sell it to a neighbor? ;-)

Are you joining us on Sat?

10. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Had the car about 2 years now. 1 year while living in Maywood, 1 year in Paramus. Having friends over Saturday. Going up to LRP on Friday for the day. Anybody going up then?

11. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Sorry to hear that you can't make it on Sat. As for LRP, I won't be able to make it, especially with Sagaponack being the next day. Hope that we can catch up soon and definitely try to join us on a run in the near future.

Btw, is that TDF Blue with a Saddle interior? Looks stunning...

Eric

12. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    Noahlh, Sounds like my kind of fun. I like the relaxed environment idea.
    As an instructor for the Metro PCA, I would be glad to lend a hand with the novice drivers. Is this Ferrari only or could I unleash my 930 P car?
    Regards, Tom

13. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Tom,

Glad to see you on F-chat. Do you have an F-car?

In my opinion, if F-chat were to do a track day, I'd say we open it to any make -- making it invitation only on an owner-by-owner basis. Lots of great owners out there that I feel could use a RELAXED DE event. None of this overly competetive nonsense that permeates other club events.

(Besides, it's probably not cost effective to do an F-car only event -- and we'd want to see Utkarsh, Rob, etc.)

I hate drivers meetings that begin with "This is not a race" and then you get throngs of over-eager "newbies" and uncontrollable "pros" on the track with chief instructors that look the other way... How many incidents has Metro had this year?

That's my $0.02

Emil

14. Acura Nsx Pilot

Acura Nsx Pilot Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    NyC
    Full Name:
    Bailey
    Noah didnt know you wanted to do this but last week i was up at watkins glen with the CC race team in attendance also. It was kids day and you could take your car onto the track for a few hot laps then after you take kids from this camp similiar to make a wish foundation and you take em for rides around the track. It was a great day and the track is 3.5 miles long.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36517

15. Acura Nsx Pilot

Acura Nsx Pilot Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    NyC
    Full Name:
    Bailey
  16. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Count me in. I'd be interested in a casual, fun and less formal arrangement like you describe. As a virgin track guy and relatively recent owner, I'd be like the guy at the blackjack table who everyone yells at for ruining their hand.
    Also how does insurance work with these situations?

17. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I'm in- as is my neighbor w/ his new Porsche most likely...

18. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    Black 355
    Yea we bend a little metal now and then but because I also club race I'm probably a little desensitized. A low volume low stress day on the track would be a good reality check. I do own an F car, a1972 246 GTS, but I have not put her on the track

19. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i would DEFINETELY be in for this

20. ChuckStyl5

ChuckStyl5 Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    The Armpit
  21. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
  22. phantasms

phantasms Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2003
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Gene
    I am in for sure on this one. I've wanted to track my car for the longest time. Keep us updated so I can request off from work asap.

brad we could get some sick footage from an event like this. actually hearing hte cars and no wind noise.

23. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Want to do that.
    now realisticly how much per head are we talking about?

24. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Ahh excellent. Glad to hear there's some interest!

I don't have even a good ballpark on costs yet, but as a general rule I think I'd be aiming for no more than $500 / car for the day. This will obviously vary depending on a huge number of factors (# of cars being the big one, which track we choose being another big one.) Obviously less is better, and that'll be the goal.

Mark & Chuck: Thanks for the heads up, but as Emil reiterated very well, I think the goal is to avoid a general FCA/FoA event, as the majority of the crowd at those is not quite what we're looking for.

Emil: Very well said. Definitely this should and will be an invite-only event, and should and will include non-f-cars (how else are we going to teach Keith how to drive?)

The planning shall begin now...

nlh