Man wins Hoosier Lotto jackpot two days after divorce from cheating wife finalized | FerrariChat

Man wins Hoosier Lotto jackpot two days after divorce from cheating wife finalized

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by MarkPDX, Jul 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Man wins Hoosier Lotto jackpot two days after divorce from cheating wife finalized

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Good for him.........

How'd he loose all that when he cought his wife cheating? Where's the justice?

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The guy spent $5 on lottery tickets every Wednesday and Saturday? Not the best way to treat money. Obviously he won the lottery and got very lucky but the odds are so slim I can't believe that people play with the expectation of ever winning a dollar. And in the meantime, it makes them poorer and poorer.

As I like to think of it, the lottery is a tax on people who can't do math.

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Who cares? It's just a funny story.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    "Justice" is portrayed by a female. Coincidence? I think not.

Glad to see this story have a happy "ending."

6. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    He's only taking home 300k out of a million after taxes? Damn.
    Otherwise, good for him.

7. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    That is also including the penalty for choosing to receive the money in one lump sum instead of over 20 years. What a rip!

I am really glad this guy won!

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Ahahahhahahahahahahahaha! I love stupid people! They are so fun! I have to remember that! {If you play the lottery, you aren't stupid, just weird} I am talking about "other" stupid people.

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Whadya want to bet the ex-wife comes crawling back at some point? Be interesting to see if he would accept her.........

10. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Never give up. That's the morale of this story. Irony & up-down of life, you see in this story, too.

However, this is not the end of the story, as it could be just the beginning.

Does anyone remember TV show "Lottery" (or Lotto or something like that)?

11. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.

12. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I call it the poor man's tax. You see all these less than monied people at the stop and gos before a big lottery spending 60 and 80 bucks on it. They don't seem to understand that buying 60 does not increase your chances enough to make it worth it. Most of them don't have 60 to blow. I used to epsouse this thoery on a regular basis until my dad came to me one week after losing his job saying,"guess what I just one, some of that poor man's tax." I ate my words that day.

13. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    *********TIME TO REVIVE THIS FEEL GOOD POST FROM WAY BACK WHEN!*********

14. glennm19

glennm19 Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Glenn

I just noticed the date on the original post...it would be interesting to find out how both the guy and ex-wife are doing. Sometimes people who win lotteries blow it just as fast as they get it. Hopefully, he is rebuilding his life. He sounded sensible. I'm happy for him.

15. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think the stat is that over 75% of lottery winners have spent their winnings in less than 5 years :eek:

16. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    There is no justice in divorce--everybody loses.
    I'll bet his wife will come back and say 'I suffered for his lottery spending during the marriage--I should benefit from his winnings afterwards...'
    To make it worse, the lawyers now know he has $ resources they can feed on.
    I wish this guy the best of luck.
    And, yeah--I'm bitter.

17. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    dude was a UNION electrician...he could afford 10 bucks a week

18. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

Good god why?!!?!?!?!?!?!

19. glennm19

glennm19 Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Glenn
    Dude, don't get me started. Even though they call it "equitable distribution", it is the most unfair way of dividing assets, properties, etc. I could probably start a thread that would last days on that topic alone. The question I have is, if he won the lottery before the divorce was finalized, would she have gotten half, even though he was the one that bought the ticket and paid for it? Probably...it doesn't pay to be a man in divorce. And yeah..I'm a bit bitter too..

20. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Because I couldn't find any other old threads that I was subscribed to that were worth reviving! Lol

21. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

22. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, knowing what I do about finance, a guaranteed return of 4% a year isn't bad at all.

By taking the cash option you take the present value of the future payments (which total $1M). You then have an option of how to use or invest your money, unlike when receiving structured annuities.

Would you rather have $289,000 cash today, or $30,000 a year for 20 years?
    [/QUOTE]It depends on priorities. If I had a raging gambling addiction I just might take the $30k per year ;)
    10% annual return is never guaranteed. Not to say I don't see what you are saying, rather, it's just not as simple as saying, "hey, give me 10% a year please."

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The annunity (30 years) option gives more money in the long run unless you invest the lump sum at over 6%. I didn't calculate the interest with taxes. Just assume they're invested in muni bonds.

24. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Nobody should buy lotto tickets if they can't pay their bills, but why shouldn't a person who has a truly diversified investment portfolio buy a lotto ticket every once in a while? It's highly risky, but could have a high payoff.

But then again, I suck at math.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't play the lotto much. Last time I did it was for 1 ticket back in October at the Hoosier Lottery for the Powerball when it got up to around $250mm. I don't play anymore unless Mega Millions or Powerball gets near $300mm, which is very rare. I just laugh at the FL lotto here when it gets to something like FIFTY million and people start dumping money. $50 million? Powerball and Megamillions eats that **** for breakfast.