BMW 330Ci as my next new car. Opinions, suggestions? | FerrariChat

BMW 330Ci as my next new car. Opinions, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by dm_n_stuff, Jul 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ok.

Spent the last couple of months shopping cars. The 530I is coming off lease, andI want to do something new.

Want smaller, not larger, two doors, not four, foreign, not domestic, and do not want to spend over $50K. OH, NEW!!! Not used.

I've landed on the BMW 330Ci Coupe, Steptronic, Premium package, cold weather package and Dinan S1 upgrade.

(Stage 3 Engine Software; Cold Air Intake; Free Flow Exhaust; High Flow Throttle Body; Automatic Transmission Software*; Strut and Shock Tower Braces; Stage 1 Suspension System; Signature Series Floor Mats; Serial Numbered S1-330 Plaque; Dinan Deck Lid Badge)

End up under $50K, great car to drive, nice manageable package. Any of you guys have experience with the 330 and the Dinan packages? Am I missing anything here?

And, I don't want a stick. Sorry, but have two other cars that are stick, and want an automatic for my everyday, drag my butt to work, driver.

So, comments, opinions, suggestions?

2. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Well, sounds like the perfect choice, given the criteria.
    I can def. understand not wanting to mess with a clutch constantly during the commute, and good choice not getting the SMG, its a mess.

Get one quick, or you may get stuck with a next gen!

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ive never driven a Dinan one, but the 330ci is my favorite BMW next to the M3. It drives so clean and its fast. I would go for it, but i think BMW is coming out with a refreshed body style (not like the 5,6,7) so if you want you can wait for that one.

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I dunno, i really love my new M3, and while i found the paddles in my 355 to be a bore, the SMG in the M3 is a total kick. You get the involvement of shifting without the work; it goes like hell, and shifts very nicely once you fiddle with the controls and get the hang of it. Its very, very easy in stop and go traffic. (I use mine to commute every day to NYC, and we are talking some seriously nasty traffic and drivers, to boot. Its actually easier to drive in some ways than a slush box, since you can grab a paddle or the stick and just slam it home for instant relief; trust me, it won't get into your blood until you have driven at least a hundred or so miles, up, down and sideways, to get the feel of the thing).
    Gotta think some of these cars can be had for a price, even if the M3 is not due for replacement quite yet (have they discontinued it yet, or will they build it in 2005?). I got one at a very good price, Imola Red, convertible (i love convertibles, and with the accessory hardroof, its easy to manage all year), the aluminum shadow trim, and all the other goodies, except for Nav. (I find the BMW nav to be a big bummer). This car replaced a 2001 740i Sport, which was a terrific car, and suprisingly quick, despite its meager 288 hp and huge size. I use them as commuter cars, and couldn't be happier. They do truly suck in the snow, though.

5. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

My dealer tried to peddle an M3 Convert. he's had on the lot for at least 3 or 4 months. Rotors were pretty rusted, hadn't moved in some time. It was a stick, I passed on it.

Hadn't considered an M3 because of the SMG. Drove the Maser with the Paddles, and didn't like it. Got some pretty serious wheel time, 2-3 hours, and still didn't like it.

Just figured a little tamer/easier with the Dinan setup, and easier still, with the steptronic.

6. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
  7. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Are you going to Devon or Main line, when i went to the Devon one to look for a new car for mi madre the guy there was also really pushy and it really turned me off.

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Patrick.

It's just a matter of when you land there, and who greets you at the door. They're both owned by the same guy, Cordie Wetherill, so, it's not like I'm gonna get a better price at one place or the other.

I've had good luck at Devon, my sales guy there has always been very low key and helpful, so, Devon it is!

9. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

All I can say Dave is that in 3 series cars.....and particularily coupes......automatics account for less than 10% of the sales in my marketplace and they sit around forever on dealers lots when they come up for sale as used cars. Dealers will not order them for stock.

I know you don't want a stick......so maybe a 4 door with the auto will be a little more saleable when the time comes....if you are looking ahead that far.

Just my thoughts as a former BMW salesman. Enjoy.....!!

10. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    For that price you can get a preowned 02 or 03 M3 w/ SMG.

You have to try BMW's SMG, It is really THAT good. 11 different modes of shifting (5 auto and 6 sequential).

Good luck

11. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

That is exactly what I was going to suggest, but....

12. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    New M3's can be purchased $2500 below sticker now (I paid $55k w/ NAVI). Add few thousands more on your budget you can have a car with 100 more HP, better suspension, limited slip, bigger wheels, paddle & stick shifter.

The SMG is a real hoot, launch control, burn out mode, Sports mode (DSC off), shift lights, etc. Here's more stuff about the SMG http://www.m3smg.com/

Good luck

13. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Noel,

I am in complete agreement with you. The M car is just different. :)

14. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Ryan,

I may sound like a guy who worships the M3 too much but my Ferrari is still special. The drive, the sound, the smell.....

It's just that his budget is not that far off. This is comparable to buying a P car or a Ferrari. The latter puts more grin to your face.

He really should reconsider :) :)

Cheers

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If you don't, I certainly do ;)

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hmmmmm.... I did a little inventory counting of my own at the dealer here. Seems about 1/3 of the coupes are stick, balance are auto, 1 smg in a 325.

Must be some market differences US and Canada, because sticks, even in the smaller cars do not seem to be the tranny of choice here.

However, I am going back up today to drive the M3 with SMG. He's got a couple, and I think they may be a little willing to deal on them, with year end coming up.

Stay tuned.

17. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    As I am living in Germany driving a German car is rather boring for me. This is to say that I can understand why "foreign" is on your list of attributes for your new car :)

Besides this I have to admit that a 3-series BMW is an excellent choice for the active driver.

But I would reconsider buying a new BMW with 3.0-engine right now. AFAIK BMW starts to equip its cars with the new 3.0-generation very soon, so you might face some undesired devaluation with the "old" (yet fantastic) 3.0-engine. Maybe looking for a pre-owned car (as you already do) or waiting a couple of month is the better option?

18. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    I bought a 330ci on Euro delivery...loved it. Bought an M3 becausew an opportunity came up for me to steal it. The 330ci is plenty fast for most, has the best suspension I have ever driven for both comfort and speed. I can't tell you how much I loved that car.

I stuff the trunk with stuff like a station wagon after dropping the rear seats. I often tried to look at it hard to find a flaw....could not. Only flaw to my M3 is the slightly bouncy-hard ride.

On my 330ci I put an M3 rear spoiler.....nice.

I know what you mean about small packages...it is a great size! But still wide to give you space.

19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well, I'm off to test drive an M3 with SMG.

Results later,

Dave

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Results are in!!!

I'll be driving my new M3 tomorrow.

What a blast. SMG, sport seats, titanium gray with black leather, 19" wheels, Harmon KArdon, everything except the cold weather package.

Got a few bucks off because it had been ordered and then cancelled by a customer.

Dave

21. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Awesome choice!

22. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Great choice - I really love my M3 as a daily driver. Let me know how you like the SMG.

Congrats.

23. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Hate to say i told you so. Now, you'll have to experiment with the shifter controls; i generally leave mine at 4/5's (there is a mythical, but real, 6th indent, which only works if you turn off the traction control, and are in sport mode- you can read about it on the Bimmer boards- there is also a launch function which is allegedly a warranty breaker- never tried it). Anyway, sport is a little lurchy at low speeds in stop and go traffic until you get the hang of it; i tend to take sport off when on bumpy in town roads, or coasting between stop lights. Once i'm underway, sport is the answer; car comes alive. Of course, you can launch from sport, but you will then be driving it as a sports car. Enjoy it, i love mine.
    PS you might look into the optional hardroof. The thing is very nice, much nicer than driving with the canvas top up in those months when you know you are not going to have an opportunity to use the convertible. PSS: i hope they told you that you have break-in oil in the car and have to change it at 1200 miles if i remember correctly.

24. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Wooo hooo! Congratulation.

You have chosen wisely :)

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Great choice. I've been looking around the BMW world again too, here was my thread on the M5's...

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24270&highlight=M5

After having a 3 series for 7 years I'm thinking I want to go larger with the 5 series. House has too many 2 seaters anyway. I think you made a great choice with the M3, much more for the money, even with the Dinan upgrades.

I'm probably down to choosing a M3, 540 Sport, or M5. Although something in the back of my head is still screaming 456.

Here's my baby, 1993 325is, I'm 2nd owner, 150k miles. It's worth more to me than anyone would pay me for it...