SMART CAR: Is/will this available in the USA | FerrariChat

SMART CAR: Is/will this available in the USA

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TigerAce, Jul 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I saw an article on Smart Car convertible, and looks pretty good. I didn't know M-Benz design/makes this car, too. (I may misunderstood this part)

Do you know anything about this car?

The article said this car can keep up w/ Miata Special on uphill drive.

2. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Smart, Swatch Mercedes Art (though I think Swatch has since pulled out of the venture?), are ugh. I can see and understand why one would want to drive a smart in parts of Europe where the roads are tiny narrow and the parking spots are similar in size. But in America where we build fairly wide roads and have parking spots suited for gigantic trucks I don't see the purpose of a Smart car.

That said, I think they're planning on selling the roadster and possibly a Smart "SUV" in the future in the USA.

3. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Just spent a week in Marseille/Nice/Cannes/Monaco ... and can tell you one thing, there is kingdom of scooters and Smarts. There are sooo many cars all over the place. On the other hand, it would be kinda ridiculous over here.

This being said, Smarts will most likely be available in NA. I saw one a year or 2 ago, being tested for Transport Canada (so it would reach the US too).

Don't be fooled though, it's tiny, uncomfortable, handles like crap, and has a 0.6L (yup, 600cc) 3 cylinder turbo engine that puts out from 50 to 75 (Brabus) hp. Tops out at 130 km/h. Quite pricey (prices range from 8900 euros to 14k euros).

Great if you live in the city, without a doubt.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

It's coming to Canada. I've seen it and cancelled my order since it isn't coming with a stick.

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    www.smart.com

i had an interesting tear up with a Smart Brabus cabrio on Sunday :)

6. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    I have seen a couple putting around Santa Monica. Probably dealer cars. Once in Germany while driving pretty fast during a rainstorm on the Autobahn, a friend and I in a big Tahoe were passed by a Smart car. It looked very dangerous. I would not want to be in that car if it had an impromptu meeting with one of the many H2 Hummers around.

7. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    I just got back from vacation in Paris and the smart cars were everywhere! There were "souped up" models, convertibles and also ones by MBZ...every variation imaginable. I agree that they would not be readily adopted by most of parts of the US with the exception of dense congested cities like SF, Chicago and NYC where parking is not sized for gigantic trucks and very unavailable. Given that recycling still hasn't been adopted by much of the US, there is a slim chance that environmental advantages would be enough motivation.

8. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I actually got to go for a ride in a Diesel equipped Smart car a few weeks back. It is a Bosch vehicle. Bosch has a whole fleet of Diesel engine equipped cars. The Smart car I was in had a sequential gearbox. The transmission worked well when shifting with the paddles. In automatic mode the shifting was rough and not to enjoyable. It felt like the car was going to stall. The very small Smart car is going to be available through an importer but will not be backed by the factory. See link for story:

http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&content_code=04298935&Search_Type=STD&Search_ID=2290371&record=8

Someone else mentioned correctly that smart will release two completely new and much larger vehicles in the US with the backing of the factory. It will be interesting to see how they do.

9. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes, they are already here in the United States. I have seen them putting around here in Vegas. I have seen the one seater (?)...it looks very dangerous. I would never consider one, what do they make, 90 hp? I have seen an ad in European Car Magazine about a Brabus model. Looks really cool, i think it was turbocharged. I would buy that!

-Douglas

10. RosCabezas

RosCabezas Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Spain
    Full Name:
    David Pardo
    #10 RosCabezas, Mar 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I saw one here in Vt. last week they are INCREDIBLY small!

12. lamar

lamar Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2004
    montpellier/france
    #12 lamar, Mar 13, 2005
  13. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I know its available here in Canada. Dont listen to the people that bad mouth the car. Its perfectly safe. They tested the car at 60mph and crashed it into an E class mercedes. The ocupants were safe and would have sustained maybe a scratch or two but nothing life threatining or that you would really need to go to the hospital for. But there are other cars that are in the same class and retail for the same amount and have the more horsepower. Check out the Toyota Echo Hatch back available in two or four doors. A Mini Cooper, a VW Beatle or Golf. though the Mini and VW both cost about 25,000 each. There are a ton of options out there for comapct cars with great gas mileage and can be purchased cheaply.

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    wow, that roadster doesn't look stupid!

15. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The Smart has a 3 cyl turbocharged engine producing between 45 and 60bhp depending on model. It can easily be tuned up to about 90bhp. According to the EuroNCAP ratings they are as safe as a Grand Voyager in a crash.

The reason they're so popular in Europe is that they are great fun to drive. Not fast, but definately FUN.

16. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My friend, who lives in Paris, got rear ended in his Smart Car a couple of years ago and was almost killed. I'd stay away from them in NA. BTW, he now owns a Porsche Turbo and a F430. IMO much better choice.

17. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m

18. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #18 tritone, Mar 13, 2005
    there are easily >100 SmartCars in Vancouver already.
    Many are owned/leased by small biz people who cover the cars w/ad graphics.....
    Also, many are in bright colors....(good idea so I can see that spot of bright color down there below the bumper of my 'Burb......)
    I'm going to rent one from the local Budget to see if it makes a good city car....
    saw one out on the fwy last month and it did look scary/small among all the SUV's and semi's......
    but you can easily get 2 of them into a parking space...
    pic of one behind wifes' Audi....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Noelani

Noelani Formula Junior

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    R
    I love them so much! I had my friend take a picture of me next to one in Spain, just as its owner was returning. He probably thought I was nuts.

20. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    There are alot of them here in Toronto.

21. RosCabezas

RosCabezas Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Spain
    Full Name:
    David Pardo
    Don't worry. I see people wandering around mine everyday, and don't think they're crazy. People look at it more than at Porsches or Maseratis (but less than at Ferraris -few and far apart-). I don't have experience about Lamborghinis since I haven't seen one in my town ever. ;)

My roadster has 82bhp for a weight of about 1700lbs. Not much power, but not much weight. It feels like an old roadster (austin, lotus, triumph) and it costs nuts to run (55mpg)

It's not a practical car (my significant other has a VW Golf) but it's one of the best weekend cars you can have for little money.