F1 in London - Pictures | FerrariChat

F1 in London - Pictures

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Jul 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Finally I got a chance to download my pics of the F1 cars in London's Regent street a few weeks ago:

Mansell in the Jordan
    Da Matta in the Toyota
    Badoer in the Ferrari
    DC in the Mc Laren
    Button in the BAR
    Two seater Minardi
    JPM in the Williams
    Brundell smoking the Jag

2. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    These are some cool pictures tifosi12. It gives us an idea of how it would feel to have a F1 Grand Prix in New York City or Manhattan.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, look at the fans!

They sound cool roaring thru the buildings, if The Texaco Grand Prix of Houston was any indication.......

How are those OWRS guys doing anyway? We got all this special asphalt down here...and........

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Since you guys brought up the topic of the atmosphere and the fans, here some more shots of the total madhouse the estimated 300,000 people brought to the place. It was freakin' unbelievable. Just check out the pics. I had to literally fight my way from the subway station to the hotel, which wasn't easy as they shot down subway stations near Picadilly and all the surrounding streets where a parking lot with the evening rush hour traffic come to a standstill. It was utter madness, but the reverberating sounds of those engines made everybody smile.

5. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    WOW!
    Just 300,000 can cause that much!!!!! Imagine what 3 million people want to watch the race in New York can cause. It would be awesome.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bernie wanted to make a point in regards to the EU 2006 tobacco ban and also to bring the GP to London. They expected a huge crowd, but nobody counted on these numbers and crowd control became an issue.

But Bernie did get his point across. A GP in the streets of London would so totally rock I would have to fly there to see it. A similar event in NYC would be just as awesome.

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    to bad the GP in the streets of Pheonix was a total flop :(

all i get to look forward to is NECKCAR and the Indy Reckers League races locally.

beast

8. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    London's flaunted Grand Prix has hit opposition in the form of leading Formula One principals Jean Todt, Ferrari director, and McLaren's chairman Ron Dennis.
    The Frenchman told formula1.com that trying to emulate Monaco in one of the world's most congested cities 'can not work.'
    Todt wondered: "How can someone [even] think of it?"
    Englishman Dennis, meanwhile, agreed that the street-race idea isn't 'practical' because Britain already has a permanent F1 Grand Prix circuit at Silverstone.
    "[The] costs of infrastructure would be so high," he said. "The money should be spent on [a] permanent race track."
    Dave Richards, chief at Brackley's BAR, echoed Dennis' thoughts by insisting that the money talked about would make Silverstone F1's best 'in the world.'
    Renault's flamboyant Managing Director Flavio Briatore, meanwhile, claims a London GP is a great idea mostly because Silverstone is not 'state of art.
    "It's about time Europe staged another city race," said the Italian.

Source GMM / CAPSIS International

Well, it was just a thought, Mr. Jean Todt is not too keen on it... so I guess it won't happen.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Currently I wouldn't say that as he is "only" the head of Ferrari. However he is being groomed in taking over from Mosley at which point his say will have a lot more weight.

At any rate personally I don't see it happen because there is too much opposition and too many obstacles in the way. Quite literally: The streets would need a total new pavement and things like lamp posts, manhole covers, medians etc get in the way. Along with the immense traffic. Monaco lives for the GP, London doesn't and would probably say no to it all.

As far as Silverstone is concerned: I like the track for it offers real passing opportunities and the races there are normally good. However having been there I have to say I was disappointed about it all: The track is clearly not state of the art, the stands are way to small, there is barely any usable infrastructure around and getting there is a night mare.

What Britain ought to do is build a new track near London with easy access and modern facilities etc.

10. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Well, Britain already has one GP. It is enough for a comparatively smaller market than say here in the USA.

I was hoping that they would push through plans for a second GP in the states and a New York City Street Circuit would be perfect for not only market penetration but also increased awareness of what F1 is all about. But I see the problems with that. Hopefully we can have one more GP here in the states in the future.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hear you. I also think bringing back some of the races we used to have in this part of the world would increase viewership: Imagine a season where there are a Canadian, two US, a Brazilian, a Mexican and an Argentinian GP...About a third of the Championship would be played out right in our timezones. How about it?

12. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    The BIGGEST problem is that small teams like Minardi, Jordan and even Jaguar crib and whine about more races in the year. They have even complained that 18 races is too much. They would never allow 20 races in a year.

With the new GPs in Shanghai and Bahrain, and one planned for Turkey the dream of having one more here in the states looks like it will never be a reality. I really hate it when small team like Jordan and Minardi hinder progress. Eddie Jordan is the brainchild of the new points system which is absolutely ridiculous. I cannot believe that a driver that has won 11 race already can still lose the world champioship. Teams like Minardi and Jordan do not want a second GP in the states because they don't need any market coverage here. What F1 really needs is two serious teams with serious money to replace Minardi and Jordan, Ford to start pumping funds into Jaguar racing in order for actually progress to occur.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Just wait until 2006 when the Euro tobacco ban hits. You'll see a few vacant GPs very quickly. That's why Bernie is currently building up GPs overseas.

One can argue over whether the winner should get more points to be compensated for the victory. There are arguments either way, but what is good about the points system (and that's where Jordan came in) is, that it is extended to 8th place so there is some classification in the middle field. That doesn't hurt the front runners, but gives the smaller teams a way to be compensated and get sponsorship. Nothing wrong with that.

14. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I have a feeling that the EU will make an exception for certain events such as F1 for tobacco advertising. It will be based upon how much dependence does the local economy have on that event or how many people will lose employement or livelihood.

Well the points system could still work till 8th position if points were given out in the following order. 10, 7, 6, 5 , 4, 3, 2, 1. That way atleast there is a 3 point bonus for actually winning the race. You know the funny part is if the new points system was not in place Jordan would have ended up higher up in the championship last year than they did. Talk about Eddie Jordan shooting himself in the foot. Even a Benson & Hedges (Jordan team sponsor) spokesman made a comment after last season that they were happy with old points system and the Eddie lost money from them because of the new classification. :D