what can I do if I think a Private Inv is following me? | FerrariChat

what can I do if I think a Private Inv is following me?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JimSchad, Jul 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I have reason to believe that someone has hired a PI to follow my family. Long story so I will avoid the details, but things are being brought up that I feel the only way they would have this knowledge is if they tailed us or bugged our house/phone etc. The suspected person has used PI's before so it isn't that big of a leap.

What legal rights do I have? How can I tell if my house/phone is bugged?

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    The first thing I'd do is divest myself of the person that would have me followed. Or, hire a PI to follow him/her! ;)

3. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    You have the right to go to your local police station and lodge an official complaint that your privacy is being invaded. Bugging or tapping into a phone line requires an official warrant issued by a judge. O dont think a PI can get such a warrant issued.

If there are bugs and wire taps on your property, and they are found by the police then someone had to tresspass onto your property to put them there. This is an invasion of your privacy and your family's privacy and I am sure you ask for support from the police. It is a different issue as to how responsive the local police are, but if you have children at home and you think they or anyone in your family is in harms way you should report it to the authorities as soon as you can.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You might want to go to a "spy store" and buy a bug detector.

Or do what Jim suggests and hire a "counter-PI" to follow the PI following you.

Or get a 260lb Ex-Royal Commando and black belt close operative like Chaa on security detail for your family. This would solve many problems I think!

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    LOL. Or start a very noticable thread saying, "I AM BUYING A BIG HANDGUN!"

7. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Appreciate the info. I have asked Rob to delete my profile and all my previous posts since they are under my real name. Need to come back as a generic user for privacy.

8. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Jim,
    Depending upon the type of activity that is involved, perhaps you can make a stalking complaint to the police. If you think your phone is bugged/tapped, you might think about hiring a PI of your own to check your house. Also, the phone company might be able to determine if the phone is tapped based on the electrical performance of your phone lines.

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Jim, a personal freind went though a samilar situation, he called the authorities and it developed that way....of course, the police are not very quick, but if you suspect something call them quickly and explain in full detail they should be able to advise better.
    Good luck !!

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
  11. Hammerdown

Hammerdown Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    MotorCity
    Be observant. Change your routes to and from work. Visit a spy shop for counter surveillance equiptment. Take the freeway if you think you're being followed. Pull over to the LEFT shoulder (w/ hazzards) and sit a spell to lose your tail. He'll have to exit and double back. Hire a PI, or just ask the person who's done this before if they're doing it now.

12. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    If you're being followed, why don't you confront the person following you? The sooner the better, since your family is involved. Carry a small camera in your car or on your (like a cell phone camera) so you can take the PI's picture in case he turns out to be unprofessional. Ask the PI what he's doing.

You can have fun with this (not trying to make light of your situation).

13. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Don't confront him, if you know who it is he will be easy to manipulate. Come out when you want to, do nice things like help little old ladies cross the street etc... Makes for great character building video.

Dress in drag, with maribou slippers and curlers in your hair, with a satin robe that allows a brief peak at lil jim and the twins, take out the garbage dressed like that.

If it is an issue, call the police say you think someone was following you and toss in some random fear of carjacking.

14. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

the person I suspect has WAY more cash than I do, but what do you mean froggy?

Is there a way to call each PI firm in town and figure out who they are using?

I could pretend to be disputing a credit card charge for their services or somethign!

15. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I can help, Jim. No joke.

PM me, and I will give you my private email address and/or my phone #.

16. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    counter surveillance just means beating them at their own game. It all depends on how serious/professional you think your followers are.

I would not suggest the dressing in drag idea though. :)

17. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I had one following me while a car accident case was still going on. I found the guy parked in my driveway. I should have blocked him, but he left quickly. Then I noticed he was following me. He could not drive at all, LOL. And his ford pickup didn't corner as well as my miata. I managed to get him to follow me down a dead end street, spun the car around and got behind him. As soon as he saw me take down his plate number he jumped a curb and ran a red light to get away.

The cops of the area he followed me to ran the plates and gave me the owners info, who was somone else far away. The cops where I live would not do anything. They told him he could not park in my subdivision b/c it was private but thats about it. They would not even tell me that he was a p.i. A guy I sorta know in the D.A.'s office called the police and found out he was a P.I. once I knew he wasn't some weird stalker I didn't really worry about him.

The police treated this guy as a fellow officer and didn't want to help me at all.

Is it possible to put a bug in the phone box that is near the street? I would think someone would try that before getting on your property to tap your phone.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    May I suggest you change your medication or preferred alcohol ;)

If you are not doing anything wrong I would simply ignore them ... soon they will get bored of watching normal-dom and have nothing to report ... but you might have to stop seeing the guys wife ;)

Good luck.
    Pete

19. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Mine went away after about a week and a half. I guess he got tired of following me to starbucks and school. Or they got someone better who didn't let himself be seen.

20. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    best bet...

buy some bug detection equipment and so a bug sweep of your entire house.

21. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    If I found a listening device in my house I would have to do something to screw with them before destroying it.

22. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Find the bug, sing some show tunes into it then crush it.

23. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    interesting tidbit to know. not like I'll be using that anytime soon, but it would have come in handy nearly four years ago.

I regularly "lost them", or rather, according to the testimony: he drove erratically. but my situation was quite different and not necessarily personal. someone was trying to link me to another case, which wasn't true (if you really wanted to know).

24. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  25. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV