Can I Fix A 328 Window Switch Myself? | FerrariChat

Can I Fix A 328 Window Switch Myself?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AJS328, Jul 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Just the other day I noticed that my passenger side window switch button isn't working properly. I can put the passenger side window down using the button on the driver door, and I can put it back up using the button on the passenger door, but it won't go down using the passenger button. Is there an easy remedy for this? Thanks in advance.

2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a similar issue. My passenger side window switch, on the passenger side, can be a bit finicky to engage going "up", but is fine going down.

Simiarly, my Aerial / antenna switch is a bit finicky putting the antenna up. I have to press on it in a weird way--sometimes at the edge, sometimes not, sometimes firm, sometimes not, to get it to engage. Going down is no problem.

And finally, the light bulb in the driver's side, passenger window switch appears to be blown out and I'd like to get that remedied.

Fixing these issues should be straightforward (contact cleaner didn't seem to help, BTW). The question is whether or not the switches can be be dismanteled, and, if so, HOW you remove them from their mountings in the first place?

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Try spraying the switch with Radio Shack "TV Tuner Cleaner and Lubricant". If it is a contact issue, this stuff is very good at permanently restoring connectivity (much better than CRC contact cleaner). Radio Shack has another spray called Contact Cleaner, but this is not as effective in my experience (I think that spray is similar to CRC).

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, the switches can be easily "popped" out by pushing up on them from below. I did this a couple years ago...I think you may need to remove the inside door handle to gain access. I disassembled them, and cleaned the contacts...but found the real cause; One of the wires going to the driver's side switch had a cut completely through it. This caused an "intermittent" no go, on the passenger side window. Once properly spliced, it has worked fine ever since.

5. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Thanks guys! I'll try these out.

6. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    CALL CLEO, THE MECHANIC...WITH HER BREATH SHE SHOULD CLEAN THE DIRT ON THE CONTACTS, ASAP.................

7. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I'm sure that would do it!

Good to see you on Bruce. :)

8. Carlos Villaverde

Jun 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Carlos Villaverde
    Hi everyone I was reading the thread because I need to replace my drivers side switch also. Does any one know the part number for the drivers side switch?

Thanks
    Carlos

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You dont need to replace it, unless its completely broken. You can disassemble the switch, clean the contacts and your good to go. Easy as pie, take about an hour of your time.

f355spider likes this.
  10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Try some "DeOxit," a miracle contact cleaner and lubricant, get some and try spraying the switches with it. It brought all my switches back to life and much better performance. I use it on all electrical connections on the Ferrari now.
    Alden