Need help picking out a tennis racquet | FerrariChat

Need help picking out a tennis racquet

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JSinNOLA, Jul 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ok, I have played tennis maybe 40 some odd times and would like to put some more time into it. Right now I would like to get some top notch equipment.

I really don't know what I need and would like some suggestions or resources to help me choose wisely. I am fairly athletic and can wallop a golf ball 300 yards, so how does that play into the type of racquet I may need?

Utterly clueless and in need of direction,
    John

2. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    ooo, would like to hear this as well. I have been playing about once a week since March and basically where I am on athletic ability, hand eye coordination, and quickness. I can't really serve and don't have a consistent forehand.

How do you improve, how does a racket help? Thanks. :)

3. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Would love to hear it too. I just got back into it, and use my ... 10 years old racket (was a Junior racket at the time!) with 10 y/o balls ... I really play like crap ... but am not sure if the racket would improve anything. lol

4. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    This is a tough question since there is no real "right" answer, else everyone would have the same "right" racquet. The main variables you need to look at are:

1) surface space of the racquet face measured in sq inches. 95 is considered midsized, 110 is considered large, and anything over that is super large. The larger the size, the more power you get. But also less maneuverable, and therefore less preferred for serve/volley and net type players. Baseline players will enjoy the greater power from a larger surface, though pros don't use larger racquets since the can produce their own power just fine. When you pick up a 95 and a 110 in the store, you will see the difference. Just remember, bigger is more power, but less nimble.

2) Weight, which will vary by a few ounces. Some people prefer to feel the racquet in their hand, some prefer something more featherweight.

3) The shape, which will effect the location of the "sweet spot" of the racquet (which is the best place to hit the ball). This "sweet spot" will vary in shape, though of course will normally be centered on the racquet. In other words, not something that will effect a recreational player too much.

4-99) Finally there is everything associated with price which will dictate the materials used and the quality.

So if somebody is really clueless, I would suggest these steps:

First decide your price range. Then guess on a racquet head size based on how much power you want the racquet to produce for you (for loss of maneuverability), and read up on those from the major makers. You can stick to Wilson, Dunlop, and Head for example. If you look at all of them out there, you will just end up confusing yourself.

A lot of the better tennis stores will offer a "test and buy" program where you can rent as many racquets as you want and let the cost of rental be put down toward a racquet at their store. You should try at least 5 racquets before deciding. Remember that there are also differences associated with different strings and tensions, but if you just test the racquet with their recommended tension, don't worry about it for now.

Armed with this basic knowledge, you should be able to walk into a local store and know enough to know what you need to ask. Good luck!

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Ok guys, I'm not a pro but this might help

tennis.com ->gear -> rackets
    racquetfinder.com
    tennis-warehouse.com

You should go to a club and demo rackets. Grip size is important as well as string tension. You have to play with them to see what you like. Everyones swing is a bit different. It's worth spending a couple of bucks to hit with a pro and get his suggestions in specs (not actual racket) to look for. Some pros might try and steer you to their shop and push their brand. Try and avoid someone like that. Even private clubs might let you take a lesson with a pro if you call and explain what your interested in getting back (starting) into tennis.

I take 2-3 rackets with me and I might change during play depending on my playing that day.

Good luck

6. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
  7. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Are there any good instructional websites or resources? What steps should one be taking to improve their game and make sure their fundamentals are sound and improving from there?

Oh, and as an amateur who isn't very good what should I be hitting baseline forehands with (gripwise)?