Mt. Baldy Run | FerrariChat

Mt. Baldy Run

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by PatrickShim, Jul 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Anyone interested in doing a run at Mt. Baldy? (from Claremont to Glendora) It's a long stretch of mountain road with virtually NO cars.

Anyone interested in this for August 7th or 8th?

2. samuel_1

samuel_1 Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Eagle Glen - So. Cor
    Full Name:
    Samuel Worthington
    I'd be interested in going on the 8th. I might have a few guys interested as well.

3. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    If you make a left at Baldy its really fun. What type of cars are going?
    The Glendora ridge section has really nice banking and no painted center line, little or no traffic. Its good if you can stay on the black part, it is a few thousand feet down and they won't find you till spring but its fun.

I was thinking of a side stop at Chino Airport, possbly see if we can use the runway for few minutes. Not joking. If interested, I think I can set it up. Also some P-51's on the field.

4. AlbertFattal

AlbertFattal Karting

Apr 10, 2004
    Interestingly enough, I actually took that road a few days ago. I believe they opened it up very recently. Although I only went up Mount Baldy about 1/3 and turned back. It was fun going from an 800 foot altitude to 3,000 feet. It is the most beautiful and fun road to take. I would highly recommend this run! I took Glendora Mountain Road. Here is my traveling experience:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I live less than a mile away from Mt. Baldy Road in Upland.

I'd like to go - don't own any cars, though. I am carless until the fall.

6. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Let's do this!!! Mt. Baldy is like a race track with very tight corners... IT'S FOR THE REAL MEN ONLY.... If you do something dumb, you won't walk out alive. I use the road at least a month, and it's a great place (again, as long as you don't do anything dumb). It's really beautiful road with very little/no traffic. If we get enough cars, we might be able to get CHP to help us arrange the run.

Patrick Shim

*** I'm using this new screenname.... My original screenname "PatrickShim" doesn't work for some reason...

7. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    For those of you who are interested, what kind of cars are you guys bringing? I will see if I can have my friends bring some of their cars (620hp TechArt Porsche Turbo, 360 Spyder, F355B, etc.)

Patrick

8. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    AUGUST 8TH - SUNDAY...

Talked with some of my friends and Sunday, Aug. 8th would work for them. I think we can meet around 1pm in the Village in Claremont (Bonita & Indian Hill - at Starbucks), then head out to Mt. Baldy.

RSVP if you can make it - [email protected].

Let me know you name, phone #., and type of car you will be bringing.

Thanks!

Patrick

9. codemunky

codemunky Karting

Feb 10, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Giancarlo
    Numerous cars have crashed out there. Few have died. Wouldn't push it unless you're a good driver. Some cliffs have no rails.

10. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Yeah, I know a couple of people who crashed their cars there. That's why we won't do anything dumb. Let's keep the cars run at reasonable speed, and not get into any wrecks or 3,000 ft. falls.

As long as people drive at reasonable speed, it is a beautiful road with interesting turns (it's so much more interesting than any race tracks I've ever been on).

The driving on Glendora Cyn. is NOT about speed, but about handling skills. Drive slow, and you will LOVE it!

Patrick

11. AlbertFattal

AlbertFattal Karting

Apr 10, 2004
    Are Vipers welcome?

This is definitely not one road to test your performance skills on, it would be best if we could keep this at a reasonable speed and enjoy the scenery, going at a reasonable speed up the mountain is actually surprisingly fun because of the tight twists and turns, at some point the road itself tilts like the banks of some speedways

12. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    All types of cars are welcome!!! Vipers, NSXs, Porsches, Vettes, etc.

Yeah, I TOTALLY AGREE. NO SPEEDING!!! Just a nice cruising in fun cars.

Can you make it?

13. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Tony G., It was really nice talking with you on the phone. Look forward to seeing your NSX. I am trying to get some more Lambos and F-cars.

I might be able to get a Vector W8 for the meet, but I don't think it will go on the run with the other cars.

Let's get some more people interested, and have a fun event.

Patrick

14. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

"Hi:

Just curious: What can the CHP do to arrange/help with the run? (temporary lift the speed limit? hehe). I have heard of CHPs being hired for funeral processions, but was curious what kinds of services they offered for non-police related functions."

If it's anything like FCA events they'll go ahead and block intersections etc. Guys fade back and then go balls out to catch up to them and they'll let it slide. I think that's pretty much it.

16. AlbertFattal

AlbertFattal Karting

Apr 10, 2004
    Here is a video I JUST took of the begening of the road. At about 5:00pm WOW these hills look so cool with the shadows covering some of the roads and others are exposed with sun. Also on a side note, you can literally put it in Nuetral and just cruise down once we reached the highest point.

Video: http://www.gilbertandmarlowe.com/Glendora%20Mountain%20Road%20Video.avi

17. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Nice vid thanks. Those side berms look nice for a launch into the abyss.....JK

18. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    The 308 GTB will be in the shop for new water pump, belts, service, tires, etc. for Monterey. Maybe I'll join you guys in an Alfa (hey, it's Italian).
    Anthony

19. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
  20. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I'll go, with a 360 coupe.

Maybe a morning run with lunch at Chino Airport?
    Based on previous experience with Glendora ridge, this is not a good run for passengers, the extreame and unrelenting curves lead to car sickness.

This is one of the curviest runs in So. Cal. True sports car nuts only or you will not be happy. The road is banked and makes several hundred hard lefts and rights over a 10-15 mile stretch. Total top speed is not the object here, its just really fun, heavy curves, some nice over looks. If you do mess up, it won't be pretty, its not that big of a deal but its a local moutain road. Best I have been on, better than Mullholland.

The video linked in an earlier post is not really that representative of the ridge, the Glendora Ridge road has no center line, its narrower and more heavily banked. The Canyon roads that lead in to it are more like the video.

Pick a time and I'll meet you, ideally about 10 am or so would be good as its about an hour out of OC> Watch for pedal bikers otherwise little or no traffic.

21. Lope

Lope Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    Alta Loma, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hiya Patrick... Count me in... 360 Coupe.

-Jeff

22. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    - Sunday, August 8th 1pm
    - Starbucks in the Village (Bonita & Indian Hill in Claremont)
    - 203 Yale Ave, Claremont, CA

Let's leave the Starbucks around 1:30pm (if you are going to be late, please give me a call at 310-927-7410).

We can head up to Mt. Baldy and spend a couple of hours there, then come down for a dinner. I think there are a couple of people from O.C. coming, so maybe you guys should caravan together.

Patrick Shim
    (310-927-7410)
    [email protected]

23. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
  24. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    I have to go to my nephews b-day party in L.A. at 3pm...I can be a few minutes late. I can stop and to see you guys as I would really like to meet and shoot the sh*t.

For out of towners...downtown Claremont is cool. Cruise through the colleges. Arrufos is nice...if you want outside dining Harvard Square is nifty.

25. yellowpad

yellowpad Karting

Feb 17, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    count me and a buddy in w/ NSX as 95% of going

Calvin
    NSX

Aaron
    NSX