merging lanes, what do you do? | FerrariChat

merging lanes, what do you do?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Schatten, Jul 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    inspired from this thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25744 I'm curious to know what you do in this situation.

two or three lanes, being reduced down to one or two lanes. traffic builds up. do you:

a) speed to the front of the line
    b) keep your spot in line
    c) block others from getting to the front of the line
    d) ?

personally, even in a small car, I'm guilty of "c". that's just how I am.

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Depends on the situation, but i NEVER force myself ahead of another car. One car length is small in the 'road of life.'

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    As soon as I see the road is about ot merge I just signal and get over as soon as I can...I dont like to cut it close and use the whole length of the merging lanes.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Steven's point is very valid.

I usually feed in early. I have though in cases of time issues moved close to the end and indicated, etc. ... one thing I have to say about Sydney is they are pretty good in general at letting somebody in ... epecially in a traffic jam.

I have to admit to not only blocking a person in this sort of feeding in situation but also far worse blocking a person from passing me on a long straight road. Hear me out there was a very good reason. I was driving my van back from Uni and I caught up to this car with 2 blokes in it. I passed them safely (which took a while in this van ;)) and then they passed me back. Obviously their ego shattered by the sight of a 2 tonne van passing their car ... but the problem was when the next corner came up they were too slow and holding me up again ... so on the next straight I passed them again. They immediately went to pass me again, so I pulled a racing block and held them back until the next corner. Once through the corner or 2 I was gone ... long gone! and continuing on my merry way (averaged 100km/h for 6 hours on that trip on a 2 litre Mazda van ... this was on New Zealands windy roads from Palmerston North to Auckland (exactly 600 km's according to my speedo) ... while I am sure many have done it faster this was not to bad IMO in a humble van with a top speed less than 160 km/h ... ;))

One thing that really pisses me though is people who do not accelerate up to motor way speed when using an on ramp (when there is not a traffic jam). This simply puts everybody in danger as it makes feeding in so much harder due to the speed difference.

My father's advise when I was learning was: "Make the right decision and decisively act on it" ... and this might sound stupid, but being decisive and clear in your actions makes it real easy for other road users to know what you are trying to do ... dither and dather and they get confused.

Pete

5. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
  6. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    thats because our road safety driven politicians have made half of the people scared of getting a ticket for a few k over and the other half convinced that exceeding the posted limit by a few kmh is the most dangerous thing you can do in a car.

its getting really stupid i got pulled over the other day by an undercover car because he thought i was going to go street race he didnt have **** on me because i dont and wasnt so instead he gave me some bull**** fine for my rear number plate not being visable from 45` (so the revenue cameras might not catch me) thats how it comes out of the factory and was legally imported but he didnt care obviously hadnt filled his ticket quota. bloody $240 fine, of interest if i ran a red light it is only around $150. im contesting it but its still a pain in the arse

its kind of sad that people are being killed and injuired because our state goverments need the revenue due to there piss poor economic managment skills