Buying a new 4Runner today. Help! | FerrariChat

Buying a new 4Runner today. Help!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by PeterS, Jul 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Just seeing who may have purchased an '04 4-Runner and the deal you received. The basic 4X4 is tagged at $28K and an upgraded one with leather, etc. is around $34K. Based on $34K for a new Explorer (Which I am on my second one), the dealers are taking about $8K off ($4k dealer discount and $4K from the factory). Will Toyota be competitive with this to move a new 4Runner?

I'll check this thread from the road later today.

Thanx in advance, PeterS

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Peter,
    Toyota dealers have 2 things
    1 they don't have as much margin or insentive base as one of the big three
    2 they don't have to.

If you are looking at 34 for the truck ( is it an 04 or 05 ) if an 04 the model year bump is on the ship coming into the port now. Aside from any factory money if they wanna move the truck you should be able to do 30 with out too much banging. But like i said they don't have the $alowable like the Big 3

3. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    What's going for me if I buy a new Explorer is the fact that Ford has a 90 day supply in the market, which is about 45 days over where they need to be. On a $29, 445 4Runner, the web tells me that the invoice is $26,293. I think there is a $1K inscentive from Toyota, so I could (maybe) take $4K off for a deal (and let the dealer make some back-end profit from the factory and the financing).

4. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Writerguy is correct - Toyota doesn't have to use incentives to get people to buy their vehicles. Why? because the vehicles are priced right to start with. Ford prices a vehicle at $34K and has to knock off $8K to sell it. Therefore it is really just a $26K vehicle (they really aren't going to sell them at a loss, now are they?). So, they started off thinking you would be foolish enough to pay $34K for a $26K vehicle.

How long do 4Runners stay on the lot? not long, that's proof why they don't need deep discounts. A trick many people know is to look at the state inspection sticker on all new vehicles (assuming your state has inspections). This is a clue as to when the vehicle arrived. The oldest 4Runner I saw locally while I was looking had a May sticker - it was FULLY loaded - $45,000 - might as well get a Sequoia - loaded. Most had June and July stickers. I went down the street to look at Explorers - many had April and May stickers - not many had July - meaning they were'nt getting new arrivals, because they weren't selling existing stock. (They also had two TBirds on the lot - August '03 and October '03 inspection - on the lot nearly a year, yet they were only barely discounted - being labeled as "collectors" since Ford pulled the plug on the TBird program. Uh, hello, nobdy wants them!!)

Next point to consider: what is your current Explorer worth after two years? I'm gonna guess it depreciated much more than a two year old 4Runner. Since you appear to not drive your vehicles until the wheels fall off, you need to consider the residual value - e.g Explorer, new $26,000 - in two years you trade in for $18,000 - cost $8,000 for two years (yes, it's more complicated than that, but we'll stay basic). 4Runner - cost $29,000 - in two years you trade in for $22,000 - cost $7,000.

All that aside, it really comes down to which vehicle has the features you want. Market forces drive the pricing of the vehicles much more than actual cost of prodution, so highly sophisticated people have factored all this in and virtually all the cars net out to about the same value (especially if you are holding for two years or so)

I only babble on here because, as mentioned previously, I am in the same position as you and did a fair amount of research and questioning. I am now waffling between a 4Runner (my choice) and a Sequoia (wife's choice and definite tax advantages (over 6,000 GVW) for business use)

Good luck

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Jeff makes a good point about the Sequoia and the tax benefits. Peter, if you haven't looked into those benefits, you should. As I recall, a small business owner (such as yourself) can write off $25k worth of taxes towards the purchase of a truck over 6000GVWR. That's free money. Both of my brothers did it, and one of them is a Dr. so the type of business doesn't really matter.

6. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Good luck getting anything but the incentive. Toyota dealers don't have to dicsount their product, and they rarely do.

I've dealt with a few toyota stores, and simply because of thier arrogance towards customers seeking a discount, I've stayed away.

I doubt you'll pay less than 32k for a new 04 4x4 $34k MSRP 4-Runner. If you do, good for you and good job. But I doubt you'll have an easy time at it.

Don't mean to be discouraging, but just trying to warn you.

7. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Good luck with your search for a new 4Runner. I'm currently looking for a nice used 4Runner with low miles and 4x4, to replace my Tacoma. The right one hasn't turned up yet but I'm sure it will.

8. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I just talked last night w/ a friend who ended up getting Nissan, although he originally wanted Toyota 4Runner. Toyota salesman wasn't cooperative for his budget, and somehow acting like Lexus salesman.

He got new SUV, Extreme or something, for few thousands less than 4Runner. Nissan salesman was very aggressive to sell the vehicle when he advised them that 4Runner was another consideration, and showed him a namecard & price quoted. I personally think Murano is good, too, but I don't know its price.

Pete, hope you'll get the car you want w/ staying in your budget, but you may want to stretch it considering for residual value.

Have you considered a lease since you're using it for business?

9. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Pete, with Toyota you'll pay $5K more up-front than a comparable Ford.

4Runner --> Explorer
    Sequoia --> Expedition

In 5-7 years, the Toyota will have caused you no problems and the resale value will be $8,000 more. So which is the better deal?

10. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    I PDI'd two 4-Runners today. Both were sold by the end of the day.

The point everyone has made is correct. Buy the Ford and at the end of three years you will have a worn out heap of crap that will barely make a trade worthwhile.

Buy the Toyota and you will have practically no service to consider, other than maintainence, and at the end of three years, you can sell the thing without even trying.

The Toyota costs more because it is worth more. real simple deal.

11. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    It looks like the deal of the day is $28,590 for a '04 4Runner Sport model, $200 over dealer invoice. I have to believe there is an extra $1K I can squeeze out of the dealer....Any thoughts?

12. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I bought the 4Runner Sport tonight. Got it for $28,440 and the dealer gave be $14,000 for my '02 XLT Explorer that I was going to private party sell for $14,500 (69K miles). I think I got an OK deal. The problem in barganing was the fact that there were NONE of these to be found in N.CA. except for the one I got, which is in a dark blue. Pretty sweet truck. I think I'll be happy.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Congrats to you - had no idea this thread existed 'til now. As BobD indicated, you'll be on the better end of the (de)valuation stick in 2 years time. Incidentally, glad there was such a narrow margin between Private/Trade "resale" figure of 14.5/14 K.

Now, tell us bedtime stories about mud you put on this puppy.

14. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Mud? HA! This will be a driveway queen! Being in sales, I really hate pissing off other sales people. I visited a different Toyota dealer prior to where I bought. The sales guy had a copy of an add with the standard 4Runners ('5 at this price') that I took a picture of with my cell phone. During the 'grind' where I bought, I showed the picture and compared the price delta against the invoice. That got me an additional $1100...They told me I would have to leave if I did not buy at the 'new price' because that's all they could do. When I asked for a bra, the sales manager said 'Is that what it would take to get you to leave'?

15. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.

16. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name: