What do you think | FerrariChat

What do you think

Discussion in '308/328' started by davel, Jul 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davel

davel Guest

Just talked to the gent who has the car. One owner and only 7k miles. Original owner was in his 80's no longer able to drive. No records of belts being done. Certainly its a very nice cosmetic example. Once again the dilemma of low miles vs need to drive em rears its head. Its Euro as well with a nice interior that will, without very careful care show dirt and wear very quickly. Is 39k nuts price or what. He wont come down of course even though he has no records or anything related to service.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485720150&category=6212

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The VIN seems to peg it as a 1984 car. As for price.... if the milage and condition are real, it may be a good show car, but if you plan on driving it you had better have a nice, DEEP wallet. All the hoses are probably rotting and who knows what the condition of the belts and gaskets are in due to lack of use. It might make a nice concourse car if everything is truly original and you have an enclosed trailer, but as a driver i'd run away or plan on having at least $7k to get her running to optimum with new bits.

Am also curious, it claims to be a Euro yet has black front bits.

Naturally you will want a copy of the DOT/EPA papers.

Frankly, i'd run away from this car. Find a nice 40k miles car for around $33k or so with papers and recent major as i DRIVE the car the way G-d and Enzo intended. Lastly, i'd stick with an 84 or 85 due to anti-rust measurements done at the factory. Of course the carb'ed guys may chime in here touting the benefits... and dry sump, etc.

Lastly, Florida is a haven for car scams and NO MATTER WHAT CAR YOU BUY get a PPI done before hand.

3. davel

davel Guest

Good copy on all that. I dont plan on buying the car but some here searching just might. Im already set up to see a nice 85 serviced, 40k miles yada yada this weekend. I wanted to post this for those looking for low mile Euro etc. I agree. It needs to be set up after someone has an extensive PPI done!!! Enjoy the tunes!!

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The price is high on that one, but it is the nicest 308 I have ever seen. I dig the interior.

5. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Tunes rule (as i throw another vinyl record on to the turntable... Funkadelic if you must know. Bow wow wow yippee yo yippee yeah...)

Flashlight...

Do you want to funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk.

One nation under a groove, getting down just for the funk of it.

Funk you very much :)

6. davel

davel Guest

Great stuff!!! Love em..just downloaded some Stranglers last nite..."All Roads lead to Rome" Inside the walls of the citadel...yellow chariots race.....

7. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    A few odd things I noticed right off the bat (other than the obvious Euro converted items):

-- earlier style rear decklid grills (different from later QV models) ??

-- lack of lower QV style exhaust grill / cover ??

-- missing rear decklid / roof QV spoiler ??

Would concur with Steve R. on the issues he pointed out too.

BTW, Hi Dave...hope all is well. Hope things pan out with the '85 QV you're looking into. :)

8. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Same as the 1985 here.

Euro did not have one i believe. The car came delivered to me with one OFF the car and, frankly, i HATE the diaper look anyway and worse still adds weight so throw it out!!!

i THINK that was still an option... i think.

Thats me :)

Some pics below of a 'proper' 1985 Euro spec 308 with ALL the trimming and then some... NOTE: rims ARE NOT stock in the photo below... and those rims are being replaced shortly for even better ones :)

9. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #9 Eric308gtsiqv, Jul 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wow...learn something new every day -- I didn't realize that the Euro QV cars came with the earlier style decklid / grills...thanks for pointing that out Steve R.

Had me confused at first, since I'm so used to seeing the decklid grill on my QV...here's a pic of it for comparison sake:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Have a feeling the added cooling on the rear deck lid is due to the US version using those nasty cat pipes and thereby needing more cooling.

11. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    That is the coolest 308 I have seen in a long time. Lower it 1" and it will be perfectamundo.

12. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    A most humble thanks if you mean the pics of the 308 i posted. Alas, can't lower her much more as she is a daily driver. The front air dam is at 3.75 inches off the ground. Any lower and the New England roads here will chew the front air dam up. The car CAN be lowered as far as i choose per se, but then she would be ONLY for the track AND ALSO the springs would need to be further uprated.

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #13 Auraraptor, Jul 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve, which rims did you decide on?

I am still trying to get a hold of the last 360 front (coming in soon). I still have the F512M wheels in the back of my mind...but at $5500 I am hesitant until I try out the 360 wheels and see how I like them.

Just recently I started thinking of getting a set of ACS Type III's. Thinking of getting uncut 17x8.5's and cutting in a 5x108 BP into them...

Here are the Type III's on a E38. I am going to get the single peice since they are lighter then the multi.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Nice rims! Let me know how it goes!

The new rims should be here on August 10th or so. After MUCH research and talking to BBS about one-off customs... Am getting the Kinesis K27 http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/K27.htm . Here is why:

Light weight

Excellent rim support due to multiple supports from the center.

Street durable, yet good for track days.

Kinesis' reputation

Must admit they ARE NOT visually stunning, yet they should do the job well. Also, my love for the Stradale rims sold me on this look. Felt 17 inch was a good size as 16 inch are on her now. The new suspension could easily handle 18 inch rims, but was concerned with her on the streets and chewing up the rim lips on potholes/bumps/etc due to less tire sidewall on an 18 inch versus a 17 inch tire (that would fit and be appropriate).

As for rim widths, right now have 7 inch front and 8 inch rear so decided on 8 inch front and 9 inch rear. Tires will be Mich Pilot Sport PS2 225/45/R17 and 255/40/R17. So the actual size vertically is the same as is rolling diameter, but have increased the tire tread width by approximately 1 inch all around. Those extra 4 inches of tread will hopefully do nicely... along with the better rubber (use Kumho Supra 712 now).

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    It's a clean looking car but that interior....ugh. WHITE? Yuck, IMHO. The low profile tires on the 16" wheels make the wheel wells look huge. The proper tires would look much better. Between the white interior and the tires, it looks like a pimp Ferrari. ("Yo yo yo check out my ride...")

And you have to wonder about a seller that lists a 308 with a 12 cylinder engine and an automatic transmission. Obviously the person actually listing the car knows nothing about Ferraris. Given the low odometer and lack of records, you can be sure that it has never had the belts done or anything else required as normal maintenance. I wouldn't buy this for more than about $25K because like Steven said, it will need at least $5K put into it.

Birdman

16. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

"Is there funk after Death?

Is 7 UP"

Get up for the down Stroke!!!

Not Funkadelic but my other favorite....Parliament Funkadelic...really the same band for the most part. Sorry this has nothing to do with this thread, but Funk rules!

17. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Birdman,

You make MANY great points my friend. It is ALSO possible the original owner simply unhooked the Odo for a few thousand miles. It is VERY easy to do with the 308.

18. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Funk you very much :)

19. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    the cream leather does indeed look white in photos but doesn't in person. Harder to keep clean but gives the car a different look than the usual tan. Also the cream is somewhat rare versus the tan.