Siezed Mondial 8 AC | FerrariChat

Siezed Mondial 8 AC

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by barranr, Jul 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barranr

barranr Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Herndon VA
    Full Name:
    Rod Barrand
    Anyone know the york compressor and clutch part# for an 82 mondial 8 and where i can get my hands on one quick, im sweating like a pig here

2. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    There is a lot of info in the archives about this, but when I had to switch my compressor the people in the archive discussions point to a NAPA part # for the correct York 209-210:
    NAPA part # 258108

You can double check your exact compressor on your car by pulling your right rear tire off and the liner (just a few screws) and the compressor will be right in front of you and it is easy to read the model off the data plate.

My car, an 85 QV Mondial Cabriolet, had a Sanden compressor. Apparently you can use either, but the Sanden is a rotary design while the York is a piston design. The York is supposed to rob a lot more power than the Sanden because of the design differences.

The Sanden on my car was a SD-508 and I had it replaced with a like Sanden.

When I switched my compressor, the clutch was re-used from my older unit.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Whichever compressor you have,
    You MUST hold onto your Ferrari A/C clutch/pulley ass'y.

It's a non-standard slim single belt setup & no longer available.
    (Most A/C systems use a dual belt pulley setup.)

BTW, Each of the different compressor styles (YORK or Sanden, etc.) have unique brackets. Thus you must replace with the same style or else
    make custom brackets, or get lucky & find some in a salvage yard.

BTW, any idea why it siezed up? Those YORK style compressors are darned near indestructable. That's why they're still being sold for truck & marine refrigeration systems.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yep, I lost my clutch (long story) and had to get a new one.... we did find a single groove unit....made for a tractor!