Finally made my everyday car decision!! | FerrariChat

Finally made my everyday car decision!!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by dm_n_stuff, Jul 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I don't know if you've followed any of my car choice threads. I wanted 2 doors, fast, fun and foreign.

Fiddled with the Maser spyder and coupe, didn't like the f1 tranny in either, and the price was a little bit of an eye opener.

Drove the BMW 645, too much of an old guy car feel for me.

Hopped into a 330Ci BMW, had a better feel, zippy, but upon review found that the automatic tranny I wanted had a serious downside for re-sale value.

So today, grabbed an M3, drove it with the SMG, and.... it comes home tomorrow, saying goodbye to the 530i, and four door hell. I had all coupes for the first 25 years of my driving life, and now I'm back in one after an 8 year hiatus.

Titanium Gray, black leather, SMG, Harmon Kardon, all the bells and whistles, and 4.8 sec 0-60!!!

Not gonna need any mods on this one, it goes like stink right out of the box.

So the guy with the FerrariChat hat, sitting in the M3, with the SH** eating grin that you spot in and around Villanova from now on is me!!

I'll post pix when it lands tomorrow.

Dave

2. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Congrats, I've had mine for four months and it's awesome! Check out www.e46m3performance.com, I just installed the SMG brake pedal that replaces the stock pedal. It totally improves your ability to left foot brake which is a necessity to get the most out of the SMG system and be able to trail brake through turns.

Watch the speed and RPMs during the break-in period! Big Brother will be watching when you bring it in for the first fluid change. BTW, I just had one of the SMG relays switched out today. It is an upcoming factory change. Make sure they have already switched yours so you wont have to back.

To engage launch control (once through the brake in period of course), while in the sixth manual setting and with "sport" turned on, hold the shift lever forward and either slowly depress the accelerator or floor it quickly. In the first case, when you release the lever, all power will go to the rear but wheel slip will be monitored 8 times per second to maximize grip. If you had floored the accelerator it will just dump to the rear and you will have to control spin when you release the lever.

If you have small hands like me, you may also want to get the longer stemmed paddles.

Enjoy!

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Congrats on the nice present to yourself.

4. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    Congrats! On of my best friends has an M3 and it is just a phenomenal car

5. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Nice Dave, the M3 is my favorite nonFerrari its so good.

6. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    congrats...i have a thing for BMW's...go figure :) You'll love it...I've driven a few manuals and it's fun. About the only thing I'd change is the exhaust...it's got a pretty tinny sound.

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

What would you change to? Since I bought the car, some mods are not out of the question.

I don't want too loud, it's going to be my everyday driver, so, I'd like to have some sense of calm, at least in the exhaust dept.

Any suggestions? Websites, sound bites?

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i have lookin for a everyday driver also... m3 is my leading candidate...except i perfer the m3 but the smg is very nice also

9. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

So? First impressions?

10. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I can look for you but off the top of my head: www.rogueengineering.com
    www.uucmotorwerks.com www.activeautowerke.com
    www.turnermotorsports.com

My buddy has I believe an AA (active autowerke) exhaust on his '95 M3...it sounds good. Some of the sites may have sound clips. These exhausts are not loud like your typical Honda so don't worry about that part.

11. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Jimmy540i should have something for you, ask him

You gotta update ur profile as well

12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hmmmm.....

First impressions are: it's still sitting at the Port of Wilminton, and won't be here 'till Tuesday.

At the last minute, I decided I needed a couple of creature comforts that the car on their floor didn't have, winter package and premium package, so we got another one comming up from the port that exdactly fits the bill.

Couple more bucks, but still getting a significant discount off of the sticker price.

So, first impressions come on Tuesday. Stand by.

Dave

13. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Good move. Get exactly what you want! You'll definitely appreciate the heated seats and the premium seat adjustments. The seat bolster adjustments that come with the premium package really make those seats fit like a glove.

Did you get the Sirius radio? I held off because I have XM in my Tahoe and in the house. I wish BMW offered it. Their electronic warranty desclaimers make me nervous about installing it on my own. (Read the sticker at the top of the windshield when you get it)

Good luck.

14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm told by my resident radio expert that XM is the only service to get. THe stereo guy I use has a motto, "You can't be Serius".

So, I went regular radio, no sat nav, just your regular fare.

I got one of my boys the XM boom box set up, and it's great for home, so, maybe someday, I'll pop the XM stuff into the car.