Oil seepage / Oil leaks - question | FerrariChat

Oil seepage / Oil leaks - question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ILuv4Res, Jul 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Hello,

Do all F-cars leak and/or seep oil?

Is it reasonable to have slightly wet/damp areas around gaskets, etc...???

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I have no oil on the floor. Does that help?

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Dry. No drips, leaks, etc. Then again it helps to have a great mechanic and new gaskets :)

4. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Does that mean you don't have any dampness at all, anywhere under the engine??? REALLY completely dry everywhere????

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Liars, I say !!

Show us a garage picture with the car removed!! :)

6. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

DRY as in she does not leak any fluids (oil/gas/coolant...unless the coolant level is too high then it runs out of the hose to the ground just below the driver's side tire. This situation will change when i add the coolant over flow container soon).

Spent a very pretty penny to have many gaskets redone during the 60k major in September 2003. This also means i have ZERO original (1985) hoses as well. There is more than just gaskets to look after. If you do not have complete service records and know EXACTLY (and with what) when the hoses were changed, CHANGE THEM!

i would HIGHLY SUGGEST changing every hose. They may look ok from the outside, but who knows what may be lurking inside of them! If you have a bad gas hose, you have a choice of either replacing that $30 hose or the entire car after the fire department gets done with the melted carcass :(

7. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    LOL!!! Tomorrow is my Bday and will also be a sunny day so will GLADLY show you a photo with the car removed :) That is if i can find the time to take a photo. May be a tad bit busy heel-toe'ing :)

8. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Ok, besides "enjoythemusic" who has replaced virtually every piece of rubber, silicone, gasket material, etc... Does anyone else have any info????

"enjoythemusic", you did refill the car with fluids after changing all that, right?????

:)

9. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    DOH!!! i just KNEW i forgot something ;-)
    No wonder why the car sounds like a drink mixer churning ball bearing! LOL

Frankly, i KNOW some folks say they will never sell their car... and then sell it. i TRULY DO mean the car will not be for sale... ever!

Hmmm... that reminds me that i need to change my will and get a MUCH larger burial plot :) Just start the engine, put a brick on the accelerator, then lower me in. i'll break down Heaven's Gate at 150 mph :)

The Devil can't catch me ha ha ha hahahahahahah :)

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A very carefully assembled motor will not leak for a considerable amount of time. The way the factory does it they will leak some. The fact of the matter is that an aluminum motor expands and contracts a great deal due to heat changes and will eventually start seeping somewhere, at least until Ferrari gets advice from the Japanese. For all of the things I like about Ferrari the Japanese seem to know how to keep the oil on the inside. Depending how much you want to spend, seepage can be tolerated, but leaks should be fixed.

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

You see, the Italians are in a conspiracy with OPEC...

12. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I can tell that you folks are not familiar with English cars like Jaguars. My 308 has its weeps but no where like all of my Jags. The english call it "controled seepage" . I don't mind wet areas on the motor or trans. as long as they are not in the leak type of magnitude. Just drive it and check the fluids.

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Yes, I know for a fact because last week I went into the garage to specifically check for any fluids under the car. I guess I just knew you were going to ask. Seriously, I was expecting to see some and was surprised that I did not...........I've had the car since March. So, 5 months and not a drip.

14. wmnewland

wmnewland Karting

Aug 3, 2001
    Manhattan Beach, Cal
    Full Name:
    Newland, William
    Before Eugenio did the major service, it looked like I poured a quart of oil on the floor every morning. Since the major service over 6 months ago, not one drop on the floor or on the engine. The right mechanic means everything.

15. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    As my mechanic said to me yesterday (about a '74 Dino)-"they leaked on the boat coming over." Dino will lose about 1/2-3/4 quart in seepage from November to April when it mostly sits in the (cold) garage. Much less from April to November when I drive it regularly.

When Jags stop leaking oil and blowing blue smoke then you know you are out of oil.

No problems with any leakage/seepage on the 360's, but i'm sure that will change as they age.

16. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    True William,

Eugenio did my major service on my F355 a year ago and no leaks at all.

it does pay to have the right guy do the job.

17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

I had all the oil seals and quite a few of the hoses done when I got mine. It looked like a friggin fountain when I first brought it home. After Professor Carlo was done no more leaks. OK actually I have one coming from the shift rail that I haven't taken care of yet, a few drops after a drive. That will be fixed this winter and then there will be NO leaks!!

18. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    97 355 - Zero leaks. However, the 911 Turbo looks like the Exxon Valdez.

Rifledriver is correct. Older built F-cars will have some minor leaks due to different expansion rate of contrasting metals. As I understand it, the premise is that after the car warms up to operating temp, the expansion becomes equal - so it does not leak when at operating temp and running.

Steve King - your comments make me laugh. True story. Bought a new XJ12 and started leaking overnight. Went to the dealer under warranty. He said the exact same thing, "Sir, that is not a leak, it's seepage"

:)

19. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I'm not comforted by the responses here. It seems like everyone else has a dry car. :(

20. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    See my post. Although I hate oil on the floor because I'm neurotic, every Ferrari technician I have spoken to said not to bother doing anything if it's just seepage until the motor has to come out for some major work. It's just not worth the time and effort (and these guys make their living by doing this kind of work). So who am I to argue?

Got some oil absorbent pads at the local auto store. 6 months and they are not yet even close to saturated. When they get saturated just throw themn away and put down new ones. They are very cheap.

As mentiond below by myself and others, driving the car regularly, especially on older models will keep the seals pliant and allow engine and seals to mesh better. Even in the dead of winter with snow I let the car run at least 1/2 hour twice a week, and i'll drive it if there is no salt out.

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Had a similar chat with Dave, the lead tech at FoNE & the service manager a couple of years ago. Bottom line was that after they do a 3x8 major, the car won't be leaking. However, seepage will almost always reappear somewhere within 2-3 years, and more places after that. By the time the next major comes around there'll be some real leaks & it gets done over again.

This is consistent with my experiences, of course there are probably a few exceptions. I'm going to be closely watching Steven's car to see how dry it stays over the next couple of years.

I agree that it's thermal expansion related. It's been reported several times that a previously dry engine developed seepage after being exposed to sub-zero(F) temperatures.

The important thing is to know which seepages/leaks require immediate action & which ones can be deferred until the next major.
    ie: These 3x8 seepages/leaks require prompt attention:

- ANY gasolene leak
    - One that wets exhaust manifolds or catalytic converters enough to smoke.
    - One that's getting into the alternator.
    - One thats getting onto cam drive belts.
    - One thats getting inside of distributors.
    - A leak that causes noticable drops in oil or coolant level in a few hundred miles.

The rest are annoying, but can be delt with absorbant pads, sheets of cardboard, etc.

22. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Car had a major service 1 year ago, so no leaks from cam seals. No gas leaks or any other fluids that causes a puddle. However, there is very minor sweat from the head gasket as well as some seepage around the oil return hose. The engine is also grimy at the very bottom, but I think that's from messy oil changes. Anything to worry about, or normal for a 348?

This is for a car I am considering purchasing. Since the major was already done, I don't expect to do it again before reselling the car in a few years. I worry that I may have an issue reselling it with the leaks. However, I guess from what you're saying, even if I redid the service now, it would probably be leaking again before selling in a few years, right?

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Fred, my car has more has more leaks than a Russian intelligence agency.

24. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    LOL. Does it have any leaks/sweat from the head gasket area? Is this anything to worry about just yet?

25. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed, hope it does ok over the next 4 years. By then it will be time for another major anyway as i rack up about 8k+ miles a year.