Very Bad Leatherique Experience | FerrariChat

Very Bad Leatherique Experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DBR328&330, Jul 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    I used their products several years ago to re do the bolster on my 328- came out nice. Got some new leather chairs for the home and wanted to fix some scratches the cats put on them. Called L-ique and sent them a sample of the leather in Feb.

Well- nothing. Called and said they shipped the dye- they didnt. They said they sent it again- they didnt. Have now called at least 6 times to get a refund- they havent. How could these people by so inept!!?? This isnt rocket science, guys.

I will never use them again and wouldnt recommend them to anyone. I heard of other bad experiences and this is another one.

There are other places in their type of business and I would encourage everyone to look elsewhere.

Dan

2. atheyg

atheyg Guest

My experience was the same, expect George from Leathereek to come here and tell you that you are the one that was wrong and made the mistakes.

Leatherique is okay as long as you

1. Don't need a decent somewhat close color match on your dye

2. Dont need your custom dye for at least a month or 2 after ordering it+ expect to call and remind them.

I went back and forth with them for a year never got anywhere and they never would return my calls.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Georges last explanation (posted here) was that they were on the road doing car shows and were out of contact. Hard to coordinate the business etc....
    No way to run a business with that excuse. SOMEBODY needs to be at home to mind the store.

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I guess I should say that one time, I received a whole box of products that I didn't order. This was some time after my original order. I called several times, leaving very clear messages that this was not my product, the order number, the original recipient, etc.

Some time later, I did get a call back, but it didn't really address the problem. At this point I had invested a fair amount of time in resolving the mystery product with them, and gave up.

So I now have some crack filler and a bunch of extra prestine clean :).

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Luckily I have my Leatherique and haven't had to reorder in 4 years. The best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market IMHO, I guess the hard part is just getting it. Wasn't a problem 4 years ago.

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I just ordered some 2 weeks ago and it showed up a couple of days later. It is a time consuming process, but I agree with Rob the results on my car are spectacular. I haven't used the dye FWIW.

Ps try the pristine clean on your bumpers and tires great low sheen look...

7. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I just had my seats redyed locally , I did not do them myself mainly because of all the negative feedback left here by people who have used leatherique. I also saw theresults from a local fchatter's redye and the results were less than spectacular ( had a plastic look to it) so for what it's worth, they lost at least one customer because of the negative press here

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    There have been a LOT of posts here on Ferrarichat about the bad customer service of Leatherique, and yet members here keep buying their products.

Leatherique is NOT the only source for good leather care products. There are a lot of other sources, both inside and outside the automobile world.

I redid the seats in my 330 using Liquid Leather / Gliptone products that are always advertised in British classic car magazines. I think they turned out great, and they were very nice to work with.

--Matt

9. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Just started a similar post a few weeks ago... See here for some other "options"... I did some small bolster re-dyeing with leatherenew - cost me 65 dollars and with excellent results - cannot tell where I touched it up at all... And the color match was exact - they carry all F-car color matches...

See the thread for more detail...

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23958

10. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Wow - this is too much to be an accidental coincidence. I ordered Leatherique products for my 348 leather, and sent a small sample for color matching. Nothing arrived for quite some time, so I sent another sample. They then sent out two packages and billed me for both of them. I blew it off at the time, but if they do that kind of thing regularly, then they need to get their act together. I wouldn't use a credit card with them again. I was perfectly happy with the product, not the service.

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    This seems to be the consensus, maybe they need to hire someone to mind the store.

I bought the cleaner and rejuvenator oil based on the suggestions from this site. I'm not overwhelmed. I've used the oil at least 3 times and my seats are still hard. I even bagged and baked the seats in the sun. Maybe they just need another 6 or 8 treatments. :(

Does it bug ANYONE else that they can't spell "pristine"? They call their product 'PrEstine Clean'. Go to dictionary.com and look up the word 'prestine'. It doesn't exist.

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I used their dye and after 3 ties at the color, I still wasn't really that happy with the color or gloss match. The oil does work quite well on anything leather, I use it on my jackets, my wife uses it on shoes and bags. I think it is a very good product and it's off-the-shelf so it has alway been shipped quickly. On my seats, the only way I could get the oil to have any real effect was to use it after the dye was removed, then it worked great....putting it on over the dye seemed like a big waste of time, but my leather was pretty bad. On the leather I replaced, it seems to help keep it pretty nice.

13. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    When I bought my Leatherique I used one of their distributors, and had zero problems:

http://www.leatherique.com/distributors.htm

I saw one with a localish phone number, and it turned out to be a Rolls & Bentley resto shop a couple of towns over. I cannot say if this works for custom dyes, but the Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator arrived very quickly.

Cheers,
    Jon

14. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    a buddy of mine went through a similar experience with leather-eek
    about 2 years ago

-no replies
    -says it shipped but really hasn't
    -poor color match
    -rejuvenator turned the leather to suede

round and round he went with those guys

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    This is just my opinion and for what its worth.

I've been on www.jag-lovers.org for 4 1/2 years, posting and reading daily. Its 90% technical, 10% other.

I've seen hundreds of praises and can't recall a post that complained about more than shipping times.

There are two grades of Connolly, that found in Jags, Ferraris, and Aston Martins. Then there are those found in Daimlers/VDPs (Jags), Rolls, and Bentley's that is a higher grade Connolly. Jag calls it Autolux, I've been to the interior factory in Coventry where Jags are built to learn how the hides are raised, collected, and about the selection process that decides which marque (or model Jag) the hides are suited for.

Ferrari leather is stretched more tightly over seating and sport fixtures. Its also rarely used in comparison to the other marques except Aston Martin.

My leather is designed to make my ass feel like its floating like a cloud, for long distance trips, supple and soft. My drivers seat sees 25k a year, my passenger seat less than 10k a year. By comparison, my driver's seat is buttery soft, my passenger seat just soft.

Take a 5k mile Ferrari and a 25k mile Ferrari and a 50k mile Ferrari. I bet the interior is more comfortable on the cars with mileage.

Leatherique is used to condition my seats to prevent them from turning into your seats. It will not make your Ferrari interiors feel, smell, or look like the leather in my Jag.

I've been in unconditioned, new Ferraris.
    I've been in conditioned, new Ferraris.
    I've been in unconditioned, old Ferraris.
    I've been in conditioned, old Ferraris.
    I've been in unconditioned, new Jags.
    I've been in conditioned, new Jags.
    I've been in unconditioned, old Jags.
    I've been in conditioned, old Jags.

The further you go down on this list, the more comfortable it gets. The only way you get there is time.

Every time I sit in a Ferrari, unless its from the 80's and well kept or older, I feel like I sat down in a wooden seat moulded into a car and covered in Connolly that passes for comfortable for an afternoon.

Some of you are looking for a miracle and are not finding it.

Ask yourself, am I applying a product to try to change something that is there by design? Use it and condition it first before you blame the product for not providing good results.

Sunny

16. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    I hear what you're saying Sunny, but i think the quality of the product is not the main issue that's being vented here

the issues with them (heard time and time again) that are cause for concern
    are
    -service issues
    -not returning phone call issues
    -time issues
    -shipping issues

their product could be great but if you got all these issues who's gonna wanna do biz with you ?

makes for a frustrating experience

17. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    I agree with Rob- the stuff I got 3 years ago works well, but their service is so miserable I will never use them again.

Matt, nice looking seats! As my 330 is being prepped for me to pick up, the dealer has completely redyed the interior and he says the seats look like they just left the factory (or pretty close I would guess).

Dan

18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Ok, just wanted to make sure the lines between a product that works vs horrible customer service and dye matching are discussed separately ;)

Their rejuvinator is awesome. I ordered christmas sets for friends directly through them and have run out myself. I can borrow some from a friend or I might add my own horror tale to this too.

SUnny

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    So... I guess no one was very impressed with the difference in my seats? ;)

20. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Sorry bud, but I thought they spoke for themselves...they look great! Looks like you were able to keep a very authentic look too, and not have any 'build up' at all. I had success with the Leatherique products, but the LeatherRenew line is impressing me now.

Now....post a pic of the car!

Best!
    Wes

21. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    any idea on what kind of revenues they do? wonder if they'd sell the company? seems like a good product that is run poorly. might be a good candidate for a turnaround.

22. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I still haven't figured out which is the "before" picture... :)

23. mnm

mnm Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    It's the one on the right, obviously :D

24. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    I believe I agree with most of the above. Leatherique comes out well, although it WILL NOT go on smoothly with a brush. My seats look great but when the leather gets hot the Leatherique tends to come off. Then I have to apply more. Haven't tried a "clear coat". I am wondering if anyone has or if anyone has tried ColorPlus?

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F