Ferrari Spice | FerrariChat

Ferrari Spice

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Bertocchi, Jul 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #1 Bertocchi, Jul 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today I got a Ferrari Spice ready for sale and took the attached pictures. The car ran in Camel Lights and was raced by an Italian team. We are trying to obtain the history of the car and have been told by a former team member that it holds several track records in its' class? I believe that it was driven by Finotto and Malgratti. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #2 FLATOUTRACING, Jul 23, 2004
    David,

I don't know the exact history but I attended many IMSA races in the late 80's and early 90's. Here are some pictures and some info from the web which includes time sheets:

Road America 1989 (Pic below) run by Bierri racing, driven by Martino Finotto (I)/David Loring (USA)

Mid Ohio 1989 (pic below) run by Bierri racing, Driven by: Almo Coppelli (I)

Also in 88 the same website shows Finotto and Malgratti driving what appears to be the same car at Road America but the time sheet lists the car as an Alba AR6 with a Ferrari engine.

Go to the following website and click on "IMSA" for a list of all IMSA races from the 80's. It will show pictures and other pertinent info.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo.html

In addition there is a very nice gentleman named Adam who competes in vintage racing with a "Andretti/Pruett/Wollek 962" and a "Tiga Ferrari IMSA Camel Lights car". He might know who you could contact to get more info. He runs with the Empire State Region. PM me privately and I can get you in touch with him.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod (who was once scared speechless when Parker Johnston gave him a ride in the Acura Spice IMSA Camel Lights Car)

www.flatoutracing.net

3. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Jon, Thanks for your help! I will look into the IMSA website.

4. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    David and Jon, are they the same cars?

5. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Jon, I read a great write-up about someone riding with PJ in the Acura car a couple of years ago? Was it yours? (I remember the details of bracing against the roll cage, etc.)

Kevin

6. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Paulie,

The first two pictures I posted are the same as the one above in David's post. I am not sure about the third one as it's listed with IMSA as a different car and I do see some differences in the bodywork.

Kevin,

Yes, that was me. A friend of mine was a top selling Acura salesman. He and a few other sales people got to go to Lime Rock and get some VIP rides in the car and he asked me to go along and got me a ride with Parker.

At the time I wasn't a racer or track fanatic. I had only been out on the track in one other car and that was with Hans Stuck at Watkins Glen in a 959 Sport.

I was just as terrified if not more in the 959 having never been on a track at speed, but the Spice was voilent from my perspective. He took the downhill right hander onto the front straight without lifting. I really was scared ****less.

No one can even begin to image how much downforce a ground effects car can generate until you've been in one.

Turn 3 at Summit, as we discussed is taken at over 90 mph at track out in the Challenge and the Acura Integra...............in a Formula Continental it's ....123 mph....

Regards,

Jon

7. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

Nice story Jon, The Comptech Acura Spice was the most dominant Camel Light car in the history of the series. That stat often gets overlooked by the 962/Nissian and Toyo GTP cars. You are indeed quite lucky to have road w/Stuck as well. I happened to have crewed for a privateer team back in the late 80's/early 90's and saw about as much as any of those glory years. I only wished I would have taken more pictures, including Stucks balding head sticking out of a window of the all wheel drive Quattro at speed taking a checkered.

As far as the Ferrarri Spice, I cannot recall where I saw it, but that pic brings back memories. I do remember the factory team w/the F40 showed up at Heartland Park in Topeka, KS. Good lord, the sound was nothing I had ever heard before.

8. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I have been told that Oscar Feldman, a mechanic at Gaston Andrey's would know the history of the car. Does anyone know how to contact him?

9. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    The 3rd picture IS an Alba, not a Spice...
    Here is a link to info on the Alba...

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/cardetail.php?reqcardir=AL-AR2-002

Three different teams ran Spice-Ferraris ran in 1990. I belive one was an 87 model, one was an 89 model, and one was a 90 model Spice. There may have even been more Spice cars than that which had Ferrari motors installed. Here is a link to a list of the 1990 IMSA races with full entry lists..

http://www.classicscars.com/wspr/results/imsa/imsa1990.html#1

10. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Bertoochi is King! I thought you knew everyone in the Ferrari world?

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
  12. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Links were very informative but did not see our car. I'll keep pluggin away at it.

13. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Everytime I see this thread I think of the Spice Girls... Y'know, Sporty, Posh, Baby, and Ferrari Spice? :D

14. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    You forgot Skanky Spice

15. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    #15 FlyingHaggisRacing, Oct 30, 2014
    Old thread, i know.

I may have one of the 2v 308 engines that was apparently the spareengine but was only ever dyno'd as the 4v engines turned up.

I came across it in Florida from the ex Tech Director of IMSA.

MWE looked after the engine after Michelotto.

So would be great to get more info on how the engines ran.