c6 vette vs the 360 | FerrariChat

c6 vette vs the 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by scycle2020, Jul 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i just read a test of the new c6 vette... 4.1 for 0-60, 12.5 in the 1/4,186mph top speed, 1.0 gs with the z51 susp., perhaps the the stiffest body structure for a production car with the convertible, elimination of most tire and wind noise ,everyday reliability with 100k service intervals...at 45k and 55k for well equiped coupe and convertible...... we all know about the 360 by now.... reliable for a ferrari but still with high potential maintainence costs, great looks and that are to define ferrari passion and feel..at 3-4x the cost...i know very of us have had a chance to the drive the new vette yet , but could this car be so good that some f car lover and 360 owners no longer see the need to have their 360s?i personally have a 360 and love it... i also like the vette and most other sports cars... just food for thought...any comments?

2. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    One of my teachers is a design manager at GM. All I can say is wait for the C6 High-Po model (Z06)...

The latest rumors are saying 6.4 liter engine, around 490 horsepower, with weight right at 3000 lbs (3,009 lbs). And I'm pretty sure the pricetag is less than half of a standard new 360's. Granted you don't have the prancing horse on the front and back, but it'll remain the best performance per dollar you can buy...and that's worth something for sure.

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    With the progress of time there will always be a faster car. So if one is "numbers" kinda guy interested in having the latest and greatest - you will need to keep trading in your car for the next new hottie on the market. But this will never end.

However, at some point of time you might not really give a damn if a car is 0.4 secs quicker to 60 than your current steed.

You will want to hold onto your car because:
    - Its racing heritage and links to past F1 and Sportcar glory
    - The good memories that you have had together
    - Its character - plus points, quirks, etc
    - Its quality of driver involvement and ability to deliver driver satisfaction.

Now what car could deliver this - it could be a Ferrari, it could be an Elise ... whatever.

If I were lucky enough to own a Ferrari - my first choice would be a 275 GTB - so what if it is beaten by 60% of todays sports cars - its the smiles per mile and not miles per hour that ultimately counts

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Forget about a vette, scycle...

5. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Porsche, Lambo are now making cars which meet or exceed Ferrari in all departments except in the unquantifyable 'mystique'.

And yet Ferrari will always be able to sell their year's production twice over, no matter how good the opposition is.

I don't doubt the Corvette's ability, power or 'bang-per-buck' value but I don't really think it'll take sales from Ferrari.

Robert.

6. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Bottom line ... the Vette is the best bang for the buck you can buy. And it's "bang" is more like a "boom". It probably won't beat a 360 around a track, but it will give it a run for it's money. The new Z06 version will blow the doors off a 360 I'm willing to bet, especially considering the existing Z06 is barely, if at all, slower now.

No, you're not going to have the same feedback as you would in a Stradale. No, you're not going to get the same invigorating sound, but if lap times are your goal, take the Vette. If it's more about the driving experience than it is about the lap times ... take the 360.

Bill in Brooklyn

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    ryan, you are preaching to the choir... my current lust car of choice is the murci

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    well said sam.... the ever increasing hp and technology will never stop....at what point is the extra hp and performance not usable and too much????

9. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Why compare it to the 360? 360 vs <place your favorite car here> Boring... The F430 is just around the corner.

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i compared it to the 360 because of similar hp and weight and the fact that the 430 is not out yet

11. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    In the end a Vette is still a Chevy. A 360 is always a Ferrari.

12. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    And in the end peformance for your dollar is something a lot of people are concerned with. If a Ferrari is, to you, more about the badge on the hood than the driving experience ... then you miss the point entirely.

There are those of you who care about "prestige" and the "look", and there are those of us who just care about the fun of it all. And no badge has ever brought fun. I've had the priveledge of driving some incredible cars in my short life, and some of the most fun were the cheapest.

A badge never brought excitement to a drive.

Bill in Brooklyn

13. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    My Ferrari is the most exciting car I can imagine, but my late model C5 is also a magnificent performer & looks great, too. It is just a joy to go to the garage & smile!
    Each has it's strong points & both are incredibly fun to drive.

14. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Please PM me with any more info on the next Z06, i'm not a chevy guy at all...but i am liking this idea.

15. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Yes, and each have their attributes and shortfalls.

16. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    What is your source for the performance #'s? Thanks

17. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Noone ever mentioned it was just a comparison between performance. In that case, If excluding the bades, than whichever is the better performer I'll take. Including the Badge, like I already said A vette is a Chevy, a 360 is a Ferrari.

18. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I've had similar conversations w/ friends before. One friend would prefer a "hooked up" Honda civic that he built and can run 10's and do well on the track over a Ferrari. I would prefer a Ferrari. Some people just have different priorities in the cars they buy.

19. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A friend at work with a Z06 is selling it so he can get a 348. Clearly, the horsey on the front/back is more important to him then the horsies under the hood.

Oh look, a Vette. I like the black one I saw yesterday better.

Holy sh-t, a Ferrari!

I rest my case.

20. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    My partner had an 03 vette. I rode in it a few times and didn't like it- very cramped, uncomfortable, plastic, harsh ride. There is no comparison to my 360, it wasn't fun to ride in. My F250 King ranch crew cab diesel pickup I think cost the same amount of money as his vette. I'd take my truck over his tupperware any day.

P.S. If we had to go out together I always insisted on driving. I just didn't like that car at all.

21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ferraris obviously aren't about performance otherwise no one would buy one.

22. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    When I pulled into the Quik-Trip today for gas, there were four (4) vettes in the lot. I havent seen a 360 on the road in over 6 months. There are alot (read wrx) performance cars on the market, easily able to be modded to unreal numbers. But a 30,000 a year production vette cannot in all reality be compared to an exotic like the 360. The reasons we buy a Vette are not the reasons we buy a 360 at 3.5X the price. The Vette is not the best bang for the buck, but exotic car buyers arent interested in that segment anyway.

23. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    At least on paper the C6 seems to be better than the C5 in every way. I have driven two C5 Corvettes. Both were convertibles and both had a 6-speed manual. I never was a big fan because I always felt that it was too big and heavy for my tastes. The new C6 is lighter, quicker, shorter and has improved ergonomics. The only mistake I see with the new C6 is the steering wheel. Navigation is now available too. I know some will argue that Navigation systems aren't made for sports cars but I like that it is an option. Does anyone know if the C6 will still have the 1-4 shift skip on manual transmission equipped cars? I am not a fan of that but I believe Chevrolet did that to avoid the gas guzzler tax.

Like others have stated, I doubt the C6 will steal sales away from Ferrari. Maybe current 360 and future 430 owners will buy a Vette too. That way they can drive a very quick car, not get noticed and not worry about the car getting dinged or keyed in a parking lot all for a very fair price.

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    well said aj...the reason to buy an exotic is often not rational but emotional with all the intangibles that come with owning an exotic sports car.....its just sometimes the practical side of me comes thru and i wonder why not get a bang for the b uck sports car....the truth is you really need another sports car for everyday use along with the exotic car...it is a pricey proposition but its worth every penny!!! the only real practical, good for the money exotic is the murci... what a beast!!! but i digress....

25. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    LOL. Yes , you are correct. Actually, I have my Viper for the bang for the buck part of me.