355 and a random puff of smoke | FerrariChat

355 and a random puff of smoke

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Shuey2k, Jul 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shuey2k

Shuey2k Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Willi Schumacher
    Ok, here are the details, I have a 99 F355 with 11,543 miles on the clock and up to today I have never had a single issue with it. I took the car out this evening and went for a quick 10 minute drive, parked the car for an hour and then started the car as usual when I noticed a puff of smoke out of the exhaust. Concerned, I jumped out of the car and it was just a quick burst of smoke that smelled like oil and was white. Never happened prior and hasn't happened the last three times I have driven the car. Do I have a reason to be concerned or is this just a random event? My first thought was the valve guides but I thought that was resolved in 97.

2. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Sounds like an accumulation of humidity in the xhaust system after the first drive, which is quite common. Oil would be a blueish smoke.

Otherwise could be a valve seat that is a touch worn

In either case nothing to worry about,

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Random? Has it happened since? Worst cases: worn valve guides, blown head gasket. The former would be blue smoke and do it on hard acceleration as well; the latter would be white smoke and you'd have other symptoms: coolant in the oil; wild fluxuations in temprature being two of them. Could be a broken oil ring too. You'd have gas in the oil and likely your mileage will go to crap.

Best case: water condensation. If it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry about it.

Ken

4. Shuey2k

Shuey2k Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Willi Schumacher
    Makes sense given that it has rained non stop here in FL for the past week and I did drive the car in the rain earlier in the week. Thanks