Poll: GT4 or Mondial? | FerrariChat

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, Jul 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

1. 308 GT4

2. Mondial

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey All, I'm taking a poll...battle of the 2+2 V-8's. Which is better, a Mondial or a GT4? Take anything you want into account (looks, reliability, etc.) Just pick one. Then say why you chose that car. This is just for fun, so don't give me a hard time about trying to play favorites. I love them both. Let the fun begin!

Birdman

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    3.2 Coupes have nice lines IMO.

3. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I sort of like Mondial, especially later models.

To me, it's good second F car to have along w/ v8 or v12.

4. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The GT4 and Mondial are the same car underneath the skin other than evolution of the car.So its whichone do you prefer in looks.

5. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    The Mondial dropped its top. :)

That's very valuable when someone is a convertible nut such as myself.

6. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I voted 308GT4 more classic looks.

7. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    It's neck and neck now with another vote for the Dino. I do like the Mondial aswell, but I just love those Bertone lines on the GT4. Dreamy!

8. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    After recently choosing a GT4 over a Mondial, my vote goes for the 308. I used to question the looks from pictures, but they are much nicer in person.

9. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I'd take a GT4 over an early mondial any day. The mondail 8's are really ugly in my opinion. I may be jaded though, since I keep seeing this one mondail 8 with 14k miles on it that is for sale, and the car is a mess. Interior trashed, and paint faded. What a waste!

10. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    It depends a bit. Do you really want a 2+2, 'cause the GT4 isn't really that big in the rear ;) (I sat in one in the back...crossed...and after 10 minutes it's really hurting :S )

But I do like the GT4 better because of it's looks. But when you want to drive with (larger) kids or sometimes even with 3 adults...go for a Mondial! :)

Waldo
    ForzaRossa.com

11. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Mondial 3.2 or T coupe for me.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  13. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I think you can all guess what I voted for.

I made this same choice before I bought my car.

I went with the GT4 for the following reasons: The car feels more raw, unrefined. I also liked the lines of the car. To me, it looked like the Italian version of a musclecar. I also like having carbs (that raw feeling, again). Due to the longer wheelbase, the GT4 handles better than the other 308 series cars, and is lighter. Definately a car to take on the track.

The mondial has lots of positive aspects as well: It is more refined, probably more reliable due to the fuel injection, although all those electronics could be good or could be bad. The mondial probably has more realistic rear seats that the GT4 seats.

The hardest part of the decision for me was that I really would have liked a convertible, which is not an option for the GT4.

Truth is, I don't think you could go wrong with either car. I wish I owned one of each. The GT4 for track days and spirited driving, and a Mondial convertible for a nice cruise down pacific coast highway with the wife and kids.

Dom

14. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Just out of curiosity what are they asking for it? Other than too much?

15. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    3.2 Mondial Cabriolet. The 308GT4 if both coupes

16. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Dom summed it up well, but I guess it all depends what you want

My '74 GT4 feels old,"classic",raw however you put it. Two of my sub-teenage daughters can fit happily in the back for shorter trips. It just managed over 2000 miles round France in a week as a "support truck" for a Caterham track day circuit tour - no probs at all and awesome fun on the lightly trafficked French mountain roads!

17. Coujer

Coujer Karting

Jul 19, 2004
    Carmel, CA
    Full Name:
    Laurent C. Richard
    I'm actually stuck between the 2 as well. I've narrowed my decision down to 3 if I have only less then $30K to spend on a car.
    308 GT4
    308 GTS/GTB
    Mondial

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Mondial. And I voted with my checkbook too.

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I actually think that it's great that folks as of this time are pretty evenly split; I really love them both as well.
    I really like the rawness and simplicity of the gt4 but the Mondial's improvements (importantly headroom, rustproofing and Nikasil cylinders) are important to me as a daily driver.
    That's why I opted for the best of all worlds: a carburetted Mondial 3.2
    best
    rt
    "It's a floor wax and a dessert topping!"

20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I voted for the Mondial. I like the looks of it better than the GT4. Plus if you get the later 3.2 liter version you will have more power.

21. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    I chose the gt4, on recommendation from FOC as a better drivers car and more simple to fix. I havn't been disappointed. However I do like the Mondial t cab looks great with roof down and good value.

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Dead even vote.

23. ferraristiforlife

Jul 27, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I vote for the 308 gt 4 ! Thrill to drive, carburated ( fantastic sound ) and if you change back on the euro bumpers, it just look good from the lines.

Mondial just a T with the changed dashboard and a convertible but to be honest, I hate the US seat belt system, so i would change it back to euro spec. But the mondial looks very good with aftermarket wheels.

24. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
  25. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I often think that the Mondial gets alot of bad press, I have an 84 coupe and thought that maybe a change to a 308/28, or 348, if I could stretch things, but I have just come back from the Classic Lemans in it and have changed my mind. The car covered 1500 miles, not trouble free but no big problems, it took all the luggage we wanted and almost had space to spare ! It smoked up and down the motorways with easy and chased around the French D roads with alacrity. Loved it ! I guess milage wise high teens low 20's. The biggest surprise was being stick in a traffic jam in LeMans for an hour and a half in 30 c, no problems at all ! bearing in mind that this car only does shortish runs to shows etc I was made up, I am looking forward to doing the next one in it.