19 year old needs car rental | FerrariChat

19 year old needs car rental

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by skipgt4, Jul 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    My son will be in Las Vegas next June and will need to rent a car to do some traveling before returning to fly back home. The problem seems to be that he will be 19 and I have not found a company that will rent to anyone under 21. Any ideas or information would be helpful. -Skip

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, I used to run into this all the time when I was that age..

Unless you use a "straw man" it won't happen.......and they are on the hook for all liability! They'll have to actually pick up the car, drive out of sight then turn it over to him.

Good Luck

3. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I used to have to rent vehicle's for work purposes and I was under the impression that the company I worked for had to make special concessions to allow me to do this. Since I had to pay for it and submit my receipts for reimbursement, I know that I paid almost double the going rate. In one particular instance, the rental car company had to call a rep from my travel department to ensure that this was on the up and up.

Then again, that was for work purposes.

Good luck!

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    It's probably cheaper to buy a used car, drive it for the duration you need and then resell it.

Renting a car to a 19 year old is like dating a supermodel - great idea, but it will never happen.

5. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Did you really mean next June? That's a long time from now!

6. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Road trip!

7. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Alex, You are correct. It is not going to happen. Thank you all for the help. -Skip

8. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Skip- try Rent-a-Wreck, they have a website and I think they'll rent to those 18+. Just type it into google and you should find it.

I had a job offer from Accenture at 18yo, couldn't accept it because it was a travel position and I couldn't rent cars in every state. So I worked for Shell Oil until I turned 21 then bolted to Accenture. Rental car companies will rent to government employees at 18, corporate customer employees at 21, and joe six-pack at 25. Silly huh?

PS- the car you get from rent-a-wreck WILL be safe, and WILL be cheap, but it WON'T be a ferrari. Dodge neon or similar.