348 Mass Flow Sensors (MAF) - How expensive are to repair/replace?? | FerrariChat

348 Mass Flow Sensors (MAF) - How expensive are to repair/replace??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by goyal99, Jul 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    Okay, the MAF sensors are BOSCH part # 0 280 212 018 and should be relatively inexpensive to replace, I think.....

Does anyone have a $$ figure on the sensor replacement??

Can anyone recommend a place that specializes in BOSCH sensors for diagnostics and repair??

Cheers - VK

2. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I would start at the dealer to set a baseline. Then call the 3rd party Ferrari vendors such as T. Rutlands or GT Car Parts to see if it is discounted.

Although it is a Bosch item, I doubt that it's a generic/common MAF(most likely it is unique to 348).

Good luck.

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Hi. It's available from Rockauto.com listed for $329. Also this same part # was used on certain SAABs (900/9000) of the same vintage. The SAAB part (same part #) can be had as low as $200 rebuilt if that helps.

Shan

4. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    Thanks for the tip...

I think the SAAB numbers (I found online) are close but not the same... ie the last 3 digits end in 017 or 016 (the 348 ends in xxx 018)

Are you sure the SAAB MAF is the same part #?? If so, what year that would be and which model SAAB (Turbo or non)??

It's worth a shot if the MAFs are the same part number.....I have a SAAB repair center close by and I will check to verify.

Regards - VK

5. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just had my 348 annual MOT test, the first thing the garage owner said when I opened the engine bay lid was, "hey, do you know those are exactly the same as used on a Volvo" as he pointed to the MAF sensor assemblies.

Now I believe his experience is mainly of 328 F cars (he carries out the MOT on one of my neighbours cars every year), so it may be that he was thinking the 348 are the same, but it may well be worth checking, especially as the Saab, another Swedish vehicle, is being referred to here.

6. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    For anyone else you might be reading this thread about the MAF sensors been similar as in the Volvo or Saab cars, I can tell you they ARE NOT the same....Similar looking maybe, but not the same....

I know because I already have a couple Saab MAF units (from eBay), which look very similar on the outside but the wiring is different and also the BOSCH number on the housing is different....The last 3 digits should be 018 for a 348.....Most late model BOSCH MAF units use the 3-hot-wire air flow sensors.

However, if anyone has successfully mated a Saab/Volvo MAF unit on a F-car and made it work correctly, we'd like to hear about it...It can probably be done but at $300 for a brand new MAF unit, I feel it's not worth the trouble...

VK

7. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    The Bosch online spares database lists the above number as only applicable to 348 (and Mondial T). List price from Bosch in Germany is €408!