Removal procedure of air intake tube | FerrariChat

Removal procedure of air intake tube

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dhs-9, Jul 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I need to access the top of my A/C compressor and I beleive I need to remove the airbox and then the air intake tube. I saw on ************ an article on A/C service but my intake tube does not have two bolts for removal just below the hood strut support as did the one in the article. Can I get the procedure to take this tube out

Thanks

Dave

2. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    What kind of car? 3x8?

3. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Sorry 1987 328

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    On my 1989 328, the ends of the tube are held in place by friction only. Take off the air cleaner lid (with the hose connected) and it will make it easier to see if there are any bolts. The bottom end "should" be the same as the top end.

I replaced my foam/chicken wire intake hose, and never found any hardware attaching the hose at either end. A little twisting loosened it up, but you have to have long skinny arms to put the bottom back on or remove the wheel and wheel well and do it from underneath.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The fibreglass tube from the body opening to the rubber bellows connecting it to the airbox usually has either 1 (308s) or 2(328s) metal tabs sticking up the top that are bolted to the frame box tube that runs along the top of the fender well.

The fibreglass tube is usually a snug fit onto the body opening.

The bellows is usually attached to the tube with a metal strip with a wind-up key that looks like a large cotter pin. Just unwind the key & get some slack in the strip. Remove the airbox cover & the bellows will come with it.

The smaller tube from the bottom of the fibreglass tube down to the half-shaft area behind the engine is usually held on with a hose type clamp.

Hope this covers your questions.

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    DHS-9,
    Somewhere in the production they went from the fiberglass tube and bellows to the foam/chickenwire setup. I ended up with the latter being a 1989. So if yours is not a foam wrapped chicken wire tube, I am sure Verell's description would apply. Meaning, don't force it and break it since your's may have some form of attatchment, unlike mine.