Headlight Switch | FerrariChat

Headlight Switch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by eric lipper, Jul 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Anyone know where I can get a headlight switch for an 1986 328? Mine is a little sick and I understand that the part is presently out of production at Ferrari.

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The bad news is that the 3x8 column switches haven't been available for going on 5 years as I found out when I broke my wiper stalk.

The good news is that I have a set of molds and can make new wiper & turn signal stalks, or mold new switch ends on your existing headlight, wiper, or turn signal stalks.

My references are:
    A recent headlight stalk repair:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21548

How I got into the column switch repair business:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/107784.html

Photos of wiper & turn signal stalks, also heater lever bezels:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/202534.html

Send me eMAIL describing your problem & we'll see how I can help you:

[email protected]

3. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    You're right, they're out of production, but as Verell says, they can be fixed. I had broken plastic ends on my 328 and found a local guy under "vinyl repairs" in the yellow pages. He did an alright job fixing the cracks, but I bet Verell would do better, that is if he doesn't just supply new ends as well, in which case it would be MUCH better!

Verell, do you sell those ends for the 328? Pics? It's good to learn of your work!

Best!
    Wes

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Wes,
    See the links in my post below for pics. The new ends have to molded directly onto the stalk shaft, they can't be added on afterwards. The headlight stalks have a small metal piece inside that reinforces the switch end. The other stalks are either knurled, or have metal tabs swaged into them that are molded inside the end piece to ensure tight bonding.

All the 308/328 varients, along with quite a few of the earlier Ferraris that used basicly the same switch.

As I mentioned earlier, I can either mold a new end on any of the stalks,
    or supply a new wiper or turn signal stalk.

I can also make a replacement twist knob for the headlight stalk.

Or you can send your switch to me for repair & cleanup/restoration.

5. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Verell, FWIW, I know who has the actual plastic molds and the tooling Ferrari used to make these turn signal stalks. George Evans bought up the tooling and a few years ago, but I haven't seen him selling any stalks anywhere, so I guess maybe he is waiting for the demand to rise more before starting production. Just a guess. The reason for me telling you this, is maybe George could lend you his tooling for a short while and you can hammer out a few hundred stalks for all of us :)

6. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    Verell repaired my 308 stork a few months ago.

There was nothing left on the end of the stork but he moulded a new one on.
    Result Perfect.

Send it down to him you will be pleased with the result.