Clutch on an Enzo? | FerrariChat

Clutch on an Enzo?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Mookz, Jul 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mookz

Mookz Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    I was looking at Ferrari.com's Enzo photo gallery, and I didn't see a clutch on the Enzo. Is it automatic clutch or what? Please don't say it's an automatic transmission...

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    It is a computer controlled manual transmission. Similar to the F1 systems used in 355s,575s,612s,360s,etc as well as a number of other makes.

No torque converter, no auto trany present. It has a clutch, and it is possible to burn it. (I believe a fellow in Iceland can attest to this)

Welcome to the site, please take the time to properly fill out your profile, as it would help other users become more familar with you.

3. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV

4. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Here's a little trivia for you...the clutch in the Enzo is the same one found in the Maserati Coupe/Spyder:)

5. FerrariEnzo

FerrariEnzo Karting

May 16, 2004
    Shaker Heights
    Full Name:
    Holden
    Quote:(I believe a fellow in Iceland can attest to this)

I distinctly remember that incident.

6. Art

Art Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Southern California
    Just curious, what "Iceland incident" are you guys talking about?

7. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    A gumballer driving an Enzo had his clutch go out in the middle of nowhere. He abandoned the car, unlocked, on the side of the road. There was a thread about it with some photos showing the car being pushed by police onto a towtruck.

8. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    #8 redhead, Jul 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White

Prolly with a few extra zero's attached....

10. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I would like to get a copy of that disk, any links/ info to point me in the right direction?

11. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~

you need a "hardware" key which may or may not be avalible from some certian online suppliers. I have seen them as high as a 1k. Then you have to get the CD.

Sorry for the news :(

12. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Hmmm, that seems a bit odd, are you sure about that? I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything like that, but it just seems curious that Ferrari would use the clutch from a car with only 390hp & 330ft-lbs in a 660hp & 484ft-lb supercar...

I wouldn't expect the clutch from that Maser to last more than about 3 or 4 of those crazed-computer drop clutch starts before it completely fried, mostly because the torque of the V12 is so much more substantial than the V8 in the Maser. I would also expect Ferrari to use a carbon or Kevlar clutch (i.e. something extremely expensive and exotic) in their flagship supercar. Judging from the Maserati's relatively low price, I'm guessing they don't use a carbon clutch in it, but I could be wrong.

Anyone with more knowledge of this care to elaborate?

13. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Well, it IS the same engine, with another 1/2 added for good measure.

With the F1 tranny, the clutch is only used for a fraction of a second, so I dont think theres too much of a problem. I have only heard of one clutch failure.

14. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Umm...huh?

It doesn't really matter how the clutch is used, for a fraction of a second or for a whole second...its not going to be able to take the power, period. If you have a clutch that's designed for 390hp & 330 ft-lb of torque, its going to slip all the time under 660hp. Most clutches can't handle more than an about a 15-20% increase over stock power before they start slipping even when you are in gear. So I really don't see how a clutch could handle 60% more power than what its designed for, and to design the Maserati's clutch to handle 660hp when that engine only makes 390hp is silly, it makes the clutch excessively heavy and or expensive.

How do you figure it's the same engine? 4.2L+2.1L doesn't equal 6.0L...hmm, maybe you are just joking?

15. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    OMG... What an idiot. People like that shouldnt get the pemission to buy an Enzo...

16. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Thanks, redhead, for the parts diagram. One question though... why the two gears for the engine flywheel (#3)? Sorry if it was covered in a previous thread, but I don't see an obvious purpose.

I can't personally ridicule those Enzo drivers who have made waste of their clutches having never driven the supercar myself. I'm sure like many things there is more to it then meets the laymen. Perhaps its simple, and perhaps all those burnout's for the local kids add up.

Any thoughts on the new type of pull clutch, I've read a little bit about it in the latest Racecar rag. I hate to say it but technical explaining isn't my forte, however, I can find out more about the mag/tech if anoyone is interested.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

As to your question about the two gears. The larger one is the starter ring gear, the smaller one is not a gear at all but the wheel for the magnetic pick ups for the engine management system.