Coloured Stitching | FerrariChat

Coloured Stitching

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by KenC, Jul 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Can anyone explain the difference between "Colour upon request for standard stitching" (Code Option STC1) and "Special stitching coloured upon request" (STC2), which are options on a 360. I thought I had ordered STC1, but I appear to be getting STC2, at greater cost.

If not i will try to get Maranello to explain tomorrow.

Ken

2. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

**** Ken that confusing I thought i knew the coding but STC2?? You got me...Let us know what they say?? Have you got yr Delivery Date???

3. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Joe,

Have agreed to take delivery on 18 August, but on a 54 plate, so first drive will be on 1 September. What have you decided?

Will post the result of conversation re stitching tomorrow.

Ken

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    yes.

stitch1 is the standard stitching that we all know and love and have seen a zillion times.

stitch2 is a different stitching that is sorta "zig-zaggy", a bit closer together, and with what is apparently much thicker thread.

i have never seen stitch2 - i've only had it explained to me by my dealer.

my concern with stitch2 would be that the thicker, more "exposed" stitching might be more prone to wear on the seats. but that's TOTAL conjecture on my part.

there is apparently an extra charge for stitch2, but it's not material (three figures).

don't go trading stock on this data - that's just my understanding from talking to the dealer. i easily could have misunderstood him. i've never seen stitch2.

doody.

5. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks for the info - I hope I like it! I will clarify and post the result. It could also be that I have the the usual stitching one and it is the wrong cost that has been applied, so clarification is required.

Ken

6. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California

I was never told about stitch2 when I ordered mine. From the description of it though, I'm glad I ended up with stitch1!

7. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

I was told today that yr code is a zig zag but with a longer stitch so more promanant!!!

Hope it helps, They told me that after a yr the difference between 04 -54 plate is very minimal??

8. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Right, here comes my best attempt to explain what has been explained to me regarding STC2 stitching, so still no guarantees that this is accurate.

Each stitch is longer than standard stitches and they overlap so the overall effect is thicker stitching, but it is the same thread. The look is like rugby ball, I am told, but not being a rugby player I don't know what that means! I do not believe there is a cross over of the thread.

There is a picture in the options section on Maranello’s web site, but you have better eyesight than me if you can see it clearly.

I guess I will have to see a car with this option before I know exactly what it is like.

Ken

9. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Joe,

Mmmm, that the second time zig zag has been mentioned but I am told not - who knows what is right?

So far as values are concerned, I know that I get flamed when I mention Glass's Guide, but if you ignore the absolute values and concentrate on the differentials an 02/02 plate 360M with 14k miles has a lower value when compared to a 02/52 plate 11k miler by £3,200. Similarly a 01/ Y plate is £2,900 less than a 01/51.

If I was going to be around to drive the car for the full period I would probably register asap, but given my holiday situation I will wait. After all, what is another few weeks compared to teh time already waited?

Ken

10. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Joe,

Was that "so more" or a mistyping of "no more"?

Ken

11. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I saw my car today in the Maranello showroom. The stitching has been nothing to get worried about. Without a direct comparison side by side with another car, it is difficult to tell the difference. I was trying to compare with the stitching in a car at the other end of the showroom and, to my eyes, there is nothing in it. The long and the short of it is that I now have STC2 for the price of STC1 - a saving of a massive £70.50 including VAT. Given the little difference I can't see why anyone would buy the more expensive option.

I thought the car looked great, sitting on its own in the small locked area of the showroom beside the main area. It will be there for another 2 weeks when it will be transported to my garage. Having seen the car in the flesh I can hardly wait, but whats another two weeks after waiting 6 months?

I took some photos with my phone and will see what the quality is like when I sync with my PC at work on Monday. If reasonable I will post the pictures.

Incidentally, there were three identically optioned Spiders in the main showroom waiting delivery to threee friends who had ordered them together. Lucky salesman. I wondered if one was going to anyone on this forum?

Ken

12. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    I am sorry if I missed this, but what car are you taking delivery of Ken?
    Alex

13. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Alex,

It is a 360M, Rosso with Crema interior. After reading all the posts about CSs this seems like old hat now, but it is my first Fcar.

Ken

14. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Ken Dont sell yourself short mate there is nothing wrong with having a 360M its is a fantastic car (hope its a manual ) The Stradale good car that it is is not everybodys cup of tea Time will tell how they stand up in the secondhand market against a 360m You wait till the first Strads have to spend ten grand plus on discs and pads ect and maybe a clutch or two .

RAY360m

15. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Ray 360M,

The 360 Stradale is very noisy. Also owners tend not to keep them for too long; to wit, one dealer has a Stradale which the first owner sold after 500 miles and the second owner sold after another 500 miles. Accordingly, it has now done one thousand miles and has had two owners. The 360 Modena is really a better car than the 360 Stradale, which in reality is just a slick piece of Ferrari marketing of 'Selling Less for Much, Much More.' The truth is, that one could live with a 360 Modena every day of the year. this is not quite so applicable to a Stradale. They have no proper carpets and bare metal is exposed within the interior and they are , as mentioned herein - very, very noisy - okay for short bursts but hopeless on any sort of journey. In the real world, the Ferrari 360 Modena is a more useable and far better piece of machinery. And as you say, the brakes cost an absolute fortune. And really, does anyone need brakes such as the carbon things which make a ghastly noise every time they are applied? As stated earlier - yet another slick piece of marketing by Ferrari. THE 360 MODENA IS THE BEST.

16. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Congrats Ken, you can't really go wrong with rosso/crema.

And congrats to Graham for a sensible post!

17. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Hi 512 tea are I agree with your comments, it wont be popular , The Stradale is a great track car but what is the point of having a track/road car that is to noisey to be allowed on MOST tracks A 360m with a Tubi is to loud for most circuits the Strad is even louder I must admit i do fancy one and even now i know of a cancelled order (allegidly ) that would be here for Sept delivery But i am going to wait for my ordered 430 and take a chance on it being a better useable Ferrari

RAY360M

18. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Ray 360M,

The 430 will of course be better. The Stradale is merely a 'Run Out' model to squeeze the last few quid out of the 360 parts bin. I can hear it now in the Ferrari boardroom "What we'll do is strip a 360 Modena out - bang on some carbon brakes - throw away the exhaust and give the silly buggers something that's really rorty - then charge 'em thirty grand more - and we won't be able to sell them fast enough!"

The 360 Modena is an infinitely better motor car.

19. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Congratulations to you Graham. You actually managed to put in a post that was directly Ferrari related. I personally think that the CS is a very neat car but don't see enough value in the significant price difference to a 360M. Well done and keep up the good work.

James

20. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Good evening again Comrade JRS M8,

Itssh the sshammpayne oyv bin drinkin' guv - itssth not the real me talkin' M8.
    Sorry if oyv corsed aney afence

Luv frome Theoriginaland illustrious512tea are tea arse - half cut - half past eleven - 'ed in a flat spin and i think i'm a roller skate

21. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    In a very predictable fashion back to old habit of spewing out ....

James

22. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade JRS M8,

it would seem that you ran clean out of vocabulary. Was it that you wanted to say:

. . . . . . . . spewing out such wonderfully spellbinding prose to capture the imagination even of the masters at Eton College.

23. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Nope , not even close !!!!!!!

24. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Congrats! You're going to have lots of fun! (You did get the 6-speed, right?... :) )

Hopefully your pictures will be clear enough to post but how would you describe STC2? Is it really zig-zaggy as mentioned earlier? That description certainly doesn't sound very appealing!

I'm curious why they would offer two stitches if they're so similar...

25. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Ken, the 360M is a great car and congratulations to you.

However I do feel the need to clear up some of the inaccuracies I have read on this thread about the CS. I have done over 2500 miles in 2 stradales so far(the latest of which-1100 in mine):

Just because there are no carpets does not make it unfriendly or less useable on a daily basis. The suspension is not noticeably harsher and provided you use it in sport mode the exhaust is no more noisier than a standard 360M. I have also driven a couple of thousand miles in a 360M and can honestly say that the CS is as easy and comfortable to drive as the 360M. the difference is purely in precision,feel and balance. It is NOT a step backwards or to the side. It is not limited to the track only.It basically feels like an evolved version of the standards 360M. it is what the Modena should have been all along. The braking is also noteably better and both stradales that I have driven including my own does not emit any noise when the brakes are applied.A further benefit is that there is very little, or no brake dust on the wheels after useage. With respect to the need for disc change, time will tell, however I can tell you that the first CS that I drove now has about 15k(of very hard mileage) on it and the brakes are still pristine.

These I can assure you are the facts with respect to the CS.
    Alex