Hep needed: Fuel pump..Capacitor? Fused Link? | FerrariChat

Hep needed: Fuel pump..Capacitor? Fused Link?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PeterS, Jul 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #1 PeterS, Jul 31, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Please help me ID the black part on the top of the pic. My guess it's some sort of fused link. The wire on this broke and I bought a fused link at Napa, the grey one on the bottom.

Are these the same? If not, what is the black unit? The fuel pump does run without this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Looks like a resistor or capacitor. What numbers are on it? Can you get a close up of it, with all of the numbers showing?

What car did it come off of?

Have you checked the wiring diagram? IT will indicate what it is with a symbol.

3. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The only thing on it is 2.2pF, 110V

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It was originally installed on carb cars for radio suppression. You are not the first one that, that has happened to. The pump should run fine without it.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's a capacitor (2.2 pF is the capacitance rating of 2.2 pico-Farads and the 110V is the breakdown voltage that it can withstand). It might also help reduce arcing of the motor brushes on the stock-style (i.e., rotary vane driven by a brush-type motor) fuel pump.

Don't install the fusible link as a replacement -- it will just blow (or cause the fuse in the dash to blow if the fusible link has a higher current rating) since you'd be hooking it from +12V to ground.

6. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Thanks for the replies. I soldered a new lug to the capacitor and re-installed it.