348 Door "popping sound" | FerrariChat

348 Door "popping sound"

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ricambi America, Aug 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#1 Ricambi America, Aug 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, my drivers side door makes an extremely annoying "popping" sound whenever I open or close it. I assume it's the little metal sleeve/pin in the upper arm, where it connects to the door-side hinge (part #8 in attached picture)

If you were me...

1: How would you remove this piece?
    2: How would you replace it?
    3. Do I actually need part 60730200, or is there some NAPA part that works equally well?

(This picture came from WSM Tav 116)

Thanks in advance!

-Daniel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    Daniel,

why did you assume that part? i have had other (two) car doors do this and it was always caused by a bind. one was a bind in one hinge, and the other was in the way the top and bottom hinges rotated. one i fixed by loosening the offending hinge and letting the torgue, or bind out and then retightening it. on the other the door was sprung and had to be relocated in the center of the body. on the first, i held the door at the right hieght with a jack so the door would not move vertically when i undid the hinge bolts.

let me know. good luck. thanks for the wax tip.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Stand outside the car when opening door a few times.

Look, I mean, look at the "line" where door and front end meet, to see if it's actually the door "kissing" the front end.

Do not "force" door open, "baby" it through the *opening check.*

If they are touching when door opens, you'll see how, why and where it makes popping sound.

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have the same problem. Part no.8 on the diagram has broken off.

5. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Just picked up some replacement pins from Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro. The part number I referenced above has been superceded by 65859300, and cost $1.80 each.

The pin is rolled steel, probably 2 1/2 wraps and appears compressible -- not by my hands of course, but maybe under the weight of the car door? I can't quite figure out how this whole assembly works, and I'm reluctant to tear it apart without a reassembly plan. Has anyone actually done this before? Can somebody explain (on my imbicile level) how this pin might solve the problem?

6. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    I experienced this one time on my 2000, 550. A friend opened the passenger door from inside and there was a very loud "shotgun" like bang from within the door. I expected the worst .... thought he slammed it hard into something or pushed it past the limiter into the front fender, but this wasn't the case and there was no apparent damage and the door continued to work fine since.

I posted this a few months ago and found others who had the same experience .... they also only had this happening to them one time or so ... they were equally shocked when it happened. I assumed it was the spring in the door limiter .... thought it could've broken and shot across the door interior ... I didn't pull the door panel to look inside...... assumed after hearing from others on this forum that I shouldn't worry about it unless it happens more often or I have a problem with the door limiter.

Do let us know what you discover if your situation sounds like what happened on my car.

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

FIXED!!

With Hurricane Charley dumping rain in the Piedmont, it seemed like a good time to spend a few hours in the garage. Well, fixing the popping sound in the door was a total piece of cake.

1. Open the door
    2. Disconnect the wiring buckle from the door jamb (just to allow room to work)
    3. Using a punch, pound the exisiting pin out, from the bottom up. It talkes a little time, but just be sure not to hit any paintwork!
    4. Once the pin is basically out, use a needle nose pliers to remove it entirely. My old pin looked nothing like the new one: old pin was probably a single wrap of steel and fell apart as I needle-nosed it out. New pin was several wraps of steel, and much more substantial.
    5. From the top, insert new pin.
    6. Using a punch tool and a carefully swung hammer, drive the new pin into the hinge.

No more popping sound!

$1.80, and it's fixed.

-Daniel