Home tennis courts - advice needed | FerrariChat

Home tennis courts - advice needed

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ShanB, Aug 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    ...considering building a tennis court at the next house. For those who have one or have ever built them - please give me your take on the pros/cons of ownership, average construction & yearly maintenance costs, etc... Also what surfaces work best in hot climates and hold up best over time? What about the multi-courts that can be used for basketball, tennis, etc. Just gathering lots of information at this point. Thanks,
    Shan

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I don't know much about it, except for one possible con: if you built it in your own house, would you use it?

I find I don't use exercise equipment and such if they're at home (except a pool). If you're used to socializing and playing at a club you might get bored. Then you'd just have the court for your friends and neighborhood kids. Which isn't a bad thing, as I've enjoyed several other peoples' tennis courts...

That said, it would be a cool thing to have and I'm sure it doesn't hurt property value.

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I would go with clay. It's great on your feet, fairly low maintenance, inexpensive, has decent traction and is a pretty classy way to go! If you have yet to play on a clay court, I would suggest doing so. You will REALLY like the experience!

4. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Net will sag over time but can be adjusted easily. Floor will definitely crack. Have to maintain the vines that grow on the fence. Lines will have to be redrawn after some time. little gutters will form and water will collect and plants will grow and cause floor to crack. Sneakers will mark up the ground. Town you live in might not allow lights around court. They look ugly unless you surround them with shrubbery..

But if you are going to use it.. definitely worth it. REMEMBER to put up a good basketball net too!!

Here's a picture of ours form a distance, note the plants around the court to hide it.

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    From the experience of a neighbor, don't even consider putting a tennis court over "fill" unless it has had a couple of years to settle. His court (asphalt) developed serious problems and became totally unusable. Had to tear it out and start over from scratch. And make sure there is somewhere for the rainwater to go (not onto neighbor's property!).