Stories of people that have been had? | FerrariChat

Stories of people that have been had?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by stratos, Aug 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    I was wondering if anyone had any stories of cases where people have been sold cars that were not what the seller was insinuating they were.
    I guess this can only happen with vintage cars.
    Anyone?

2. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    OK, I know this must be a sensitive subject but surely someone can tell an interesting story.

I know of many situations where this has happened but most of them involve P 911 cars.
    Instances where people have bought cars claimed to be RS 2.7, RSR or even R for considerable amounts and the cars turned out to be fake. In the 911 R case it even turned out that the car was in fact a 912...
    I guess that in the Ferrari world cases such as these are less common but must exist, am I wrong?

3. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I know of one gentleman who bought a "works rally" Sunbeam Tiger at a national auction. Paid 31k US dollars.

What he had was a tarted up Sunbeam Alpine. Value? 10k tops.

Buying an Alger when you are in the market for a Tiger is a genuine concern.
    Buyer education is required. Join a club, find the internet marque resources (like Ferrarichat) and learn, learn, learn.

Erich

4. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Surely the the buyers has to research their intended models, if they don't then they're just silly. I don't know about buying on the net but other than buying a new model, a car has to be viewed/checked before purchase IMO.

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It's got to be Jon Voight's '89 LeBaron ;)

6. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Sometimes the differences between what's advertised and what's there are so subtle that only real experts can point them out. In the case of the RS 2.7 for instance only a few holes, welds and minor chassis structures differ from other models. A bad intentioned seller might mount all the mechanical and body parts to an otherwise standard chassis and fool people in the know, especially if the seller is renowned.
    I've noticed that suddenly the market seems full of Alfa Romeo Giulias GTA supposedly very rare.

Even very prestigious Ferrari cars seem weird or doudtfull,250GT SWB #2301 for one.

7. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

Just look at the teeth marks in the pencil

8. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D

That was a good episode :)

9. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I was offered a 993 911 RS Touring by a well-respected Ferrari dealer which turned out to be nothing more than a C2 with a bodykit.

In fairness, they really did not know either- should stick with Ferraris IMO!

I bought a concours top-money Jag E type from a dealer which turned out to be an absolute heap- held togther by filler and chickenwire. Never got any joy from the dealer who disappeared...

Robert.