Saw a Zonda race a Murcialago | FerrariChat

Saw a Zonda race a Murcialago

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by 96cobrakid, May 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was in London a few weeks ago and was walking down the road when I saw a Zonda in a street race, here is the only picture I could get off, but u can defiantly tell what was racing! Anyone here know who has either of those cars in London by chance?

2. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Wow. Doesn't Pagani only produce in the ballpark of 25 cars per year? That's a rare sight.

3. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    funny that no one got stopped... They are really cracking down on speeding in central London.

Speed traps galore

4. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Looks like Park Lane to me in central london. There is a speed camera there but it is for the oposite direction so the guys whould be safe there :D

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Joe Macari have one for sale. It better still be there in a month :D

6. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I think I read in CAR magazine in an article about Horacio Pagani that only 32 cars have been made so far. Do not recall the month issue, but had a feature on the Bentley GT and Aston Martin DB9. The article about Pagani was pretty neat and he seems like a very dedicated and ambitious man who pioneered the use of carbon-kevlar for many race teams and Lambo, his former employer. Is this correct about the total production? Only 32? Have not seen it in any other magazines or old threads on Fchat...
    You just catch a glimpse of this shootout or see them burn off into the horizon? Was the Zonda cleaning house?

RocketBoy

7. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    according to www.joemacari.com there are 6 zondas in the UK. That could be "S" zondas though, since that is the car they have. I think eurosportscars has 2 in stock as well.

8. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    See my avatar above. I was fortunate enough to get a shot with my Uncle's Zonda, kept in New York.

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    you are one lucky guy.

btw, check ur pm's

10. dmaci38293

dmaci38293 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Duncan MacInnes
    Can almost guarantee that its the people from Joe Macari as they have both a zonda and a murci in stock and have seen them around wandsworth together too!

D

11. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    yup park lane it was. if it didn't rain damn near every day i would want to move there. i spent a whole day just watching cars drive by, it makes me excited to think about it again. and that zonda was simply amazing, i wish i would got a better pic, but the proof is there! and yes the zonda was ahhead by a few cars, they were both in and out of traffic ;)

12. Onlinesys

Onlinesys Formula Junior

May 1, 2002
    Hong Kong
    There should be three RHD in HK but one is crashed during the test drive.

Sorry for the bad picture.

13. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    On this site http://www.sleepy-fish.com/other_veh.htm, there's a full compariosn between the two. The Zonda destroys the Murci in a straight line and on the track, and probably everything else short of a Carrara GT and an Enzo. If only it weren't so ugly.

Forza,

Cavallini

14. ssyed

ssyed Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    They will give an Enzo or A CGT a run for their money too! The stats are very similar and i'd be surprised if the Zonda didn't have similar / better handling than the Enzo/CGT

15. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I was at the Pagani factory in April. I believe they've made 45 cars which included something like 4 which were currently being built including a couple of spiders.

I have never been a fan of the styling, mainly the rear which I think could be better - one big exhaust might help (perhaps sectioned in 2 or 4 further down the pipe), and a slight change in rear lights.

But having seen the cars up close, and visited the people who make them, I want one so badly it almost hurts!

I was at the Ferrari factory (where I saw the Enzo line in full swing and one car being collected) and the Lambo museum (where you could see the factory through the windows, and cars up close) a few days before and the quality of these cars against the Pagani wasn't in the same league. It was more like three leagues lower! The new Rolls etc also comes nowhere near - haven't seen the latest Bristols up close but I doubt these would up the ante either.

The quality of the carbon was unbelievable, with perfectly matching weave joints everywhere (including inside panels!). How they get the air vents to work I will never know.

I noted it was a shame to paint them as I drooled over a silver one and an orange one, and was told by the wonderful Katja who showed me round (spent a good 45mins showing us everything and answering any question) that you could indeed have one "naked". It costs extra though as they are even more thorough with the weave (not that I could see how they could be). The carbon highlights on such cars are done in ali. But you can have pretty much whatever you want if that doesn't suit.

The interiors were pure craftsmanship. These things are like grand master oil paintings.

I'm not convinced it's the sort of car I'd want 2nd hand though. There's so much personalisationn that goes into it that if you can stomach the 200k+ that a used one must cost, you could surely stomach an extra 50% to get one just so.

A lottery win needed.

16. daveking

daveking Rookie

Dec 12, 2003
  17. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i agree, it is one ugly car!!!! what was the designer thinking? it looks like a bug

18. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Pretty sure they've only done one in raw carbon bodywork...

Must be a tear jerker if you ever misjudged your parking space :) And murder to keep looking nice...I'd still be tempted though.

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have seen that zonda as well, trying to thread the needle down kensignton church street. nice sound too.

the murci's are dime a dozen so tougher to pin down. i did see a nice white one yesterday with a knock-out blonde woman at the wheel - and on the phone !

btw, went to fresh and wild in notting hill to pick up some veg on sunday, and on one street leading to that square i saw 2 550's, a 996tt, and a continental gt, all with dirt and bird****e on them like they had been parked there all week ! nothing like london for sitings.

20. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    Who was winning?

21. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    The pic makes it look like the zonda is.

22. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

That, the nude, pure carbon fiber, is stunning! Makes me want one, if only the symmetry were better, although I would probably forget about the symmetry on the inside.

Many thanks for the shots.

Cavallini

23. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    The Zonda vs. Mucielago Top gear episode is awsome! The Zonda smokes it baddddd! The murci got a 1:29 i think on the trake and the zonda got a 1:23!

24. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    Is there a weight saving in having no paint? I have heard about the Ferrari F1 team only using one coat of paint for saving weight, something around three or so pounds in weights savings, not sure about that, just heard it.

25. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Think about it. To paint the whole car, you would probably need attleast a pint or 2. A pint of paint is pretty heavy.