Anybody a Little Nervous About the "Orange" Status | FerrariChat

Anybody a Little Nervous About the "Orange" Status

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Aug 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    "Security at financial sites in New York City, northern New Jersey and Washington, D.C., increased significantly Sunday after the Department of Homeland Security raised the terror threat level for those areas to orange, or high. "Alarming" intelligence from multiple sources indicates that al Qaeda terrorists could be poised to strike financial institutions, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said.

A little scary. Considering I work three blocks from Citigroup center, one of the "financial institutions" designated as a terror threat. :eek:

2. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Yes I am very alarmed... I know a bunch of you guys live there, but as a "tunnel rat", Im still greatly concerned. My toddler son goes to NYU Med Ctr for surgery this week and will remain there for 3-4 weeks. The wife will be staying with him 24/7, but I'll be running back and forth on a daily basis. Not that I dont enjoy a city visit, however between the new Orange Threat Level, and the Covention later this month, Id rather my family be back in Jersey now.

3. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    WASHINGTON, Aug. 1 - The unannounced capture of a figure from Al Qaeda in Pakistan several weeks ago led the Central Intelligence Agency to the rich lode of information that prompted the terror alert on Sunday, according to senior American officials.

The figure, Muhammad Naeem Noor Khan, was described by a Pakistani intelligence official as a 25-year-old computer engineer, arrested July 13, who had used and helped to operate a secret Qaeda communications system where information was transferred via coded messages.

A senior United States official would not confirm or deny that Mr. Khan had been the Qaeda figure whose capture led to the information. But the official said "documentary evidence" found after the capture had demonstrated in extraordinary detail that Qaeda members had for years conducted sophisticated and extensive reconnaissance of the financial institutions cited in the warnings on Sunday.

Here's the whole story. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/02/politics/02intel.html?ei=5006&en=191a653487a53251&ex=1092024000&partner=ALTAVISTA1&pagewanted=print&position=

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Holy moly! Not good. Not good at all. :(

5. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    All I can say on a positive note is that terrorist strike places that are not "likely" targets and especially ones that are easy to penetrate. The nature of these alerts is to let those animals know that we are watching very closely and as a result they will not have an "easy" time causing a disturbance or destruction. While I know it is hard not to think about these warnings, you are better off going about your business and not giving the terrorists an edge. They do after all want to create fear...let's not give in to their desires.

I know...easier said than done. Be safe guys...

E

6. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Personally I'm not nervous. These threats have never bothered me, and I won't allow them too. I will never let some stupid terrorists change the way I live and make me afraid to walk around.

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Ah, the exuberance of youth.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    At the very least, I'm glad they caught someone who could not only sing, but show the sheet music that's been orchestrated. Just hope they don't get to perform.

10. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Tell me about it. I agree with you Vik, I take these seriously. Not enough to take over my life but I take them seriously.

11. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Ditto.

12. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I appreciate your position. To have lost a friend or relative during Sept 11th, you may feel differently.

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Emil had it right.

Pack a few bags & bail to Boston, Newport RI, AC or such before any sh#t hits.

Though my opionion is now that this country has a way to fill the coffers of political allies via "security firms" without much scrutiny, govt is going to do just that. Is there a security concern? sure. Is it being blown out of proportion? absolutely. How much safer are you with the security at the airports? Not much with all the published breaches. How much safer are you suppose to feel at the airports? Of course, lots. Do you think, for one minute, the gov't can stop a speeding volkswagen packed with explosives from ramming any building in NY, DC, Philly or any other city? Not a chance. Police in the way? Run them down. Blockades? Drive faster. Now curbs for a volkswagen will slow it down! Heck, want to be classy, use an Elise! Rather unsuspecting for a guided "cruise" missle.

14. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    And I thought that we, in NYC, never lost our orange status after 9/11. A red status would be an increase in alert and would worry me. But then, what can we do, when we cannot trust our own government.

15. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    I think Rijk is correct that NYC has been on "orange" all along. It's just that other areas have been elevated to that.

16. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    just be more aware on the lookout for 'suscipicious people' or 'activity', but dont change your lifestyle because of this elevated terror level.

there's really nothing that u can do. if the terrorists are going to strike....they will.

17. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    tru dat.... theres nothing we can do, life goes on.

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    this may sound really stupid and paranoid, but whyou gen uys ride the subway, do you carry a small gas mask? It seems that what happened in Japan could happen so easily in NYC. I don't do this, but it did occur to me.

19. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    i hate the subways because its hot, stinky, and crowded. i take cabs everywhere 90% of the time.

20. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    That's funny Hubert, I thought you liked em hot and stinky?! ;-) Just a little humor to lighten up the thread. Have a good week everyone.

21. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    i like "em" hot....but not stinky :)

22. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    altoids

23. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    jeff, hope you werent eating breakfast again.

24. Schultzois

Schultzois Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    nope! safe this morning. so let loose with all the ripe and off-color remarks you want. :)

25. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    terrorists suck