Own F40 and F50 to buy Enzo? | FerrariChat

Own F40 and F50 to buy Enzo?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by speedingpenguin, Jul 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedingpenguin

speedingpenguin Karting

Apr 6, 2004
    Me and a few friends are discussing the Enzo.....they say that in order to get an Enzo, you have to have owned an F40 and an F50. I havn't read anything about that anywhere. I know that for the F50 there were some requirements, but I thought for the Enzo you just had to have enough $, lol
    Whats the deal with the Enzo?

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    It's alleged that you needed to be a collector to get on the list ot own an NNO... Maybe not necessarily a 288, F40 & F50, but you had to have a nice collection and be a collector for a while... No nuveaux riche 355/360/550 owners/collectors could pick up an NNO... Of course, there are some NNOs on the market and ANYone can pick one of THOSE up... :)

3. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Ferrari did in fact choose who would be able to buy an Enzo as I recall. However, you did not need to own an F40 or F50 to be put on the list. I am sure it didn't hurt your chances though. I remember reading a story about the world's greatest known athlete IMO(M.J. #23) not being put on the list for an Enzo. Maybe someone can tell me if that was true. Sergei Fedorov got an Enzo. I believe he only owned a few Ferrari's and they were all "modern" Ferraris as described on the Ferrarichat homepage. I know he had a beautiful 456GTA which was shown on an ESPN documentary that followed the Red Wings around for the season. He definitely is a driving enthusiast though so I am sure that helped. Also I wonder if demographics played a role in deciding who got an Enzo. M.J. being from Chicago may have had more competition than say Sergei in Detroit. I am sure a Ferrari salesperson could explain how it all went down.

4. speedingpenguin

speedingpenguin Karting

Apr 6, 2004
    Okay, so you simply had to be able to convince Ferrari that you are the right person for one of the cars, but you could probably buy one without ever owning a Ferrari before?
    I'm sure that if you've got a Zonda, a few Lamborghini's, some Porsche's....you would probably be able to, right?

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Actually Ferrari said that they wanted the Enzo to go to those who would appreciate it the most and drive the car. They did not want the car to go to people who would only display the car (considered "collectors"). By their logic, that meant that they wanted someone who owned other Ferraris who could therefore appreciate the Enzo. They went down the list to see who owned enough of the proper F cars to be deemed worthy. However, the competition was so fierce that the guys who rose to the top weren't guys like me or most of us here with a 355 or 360 or 348 Challenge or whatever. They were guys with histories of owning serious F cars. Vintage models, modern models, rare special edition models and long histories with the factory. Now, if you own those kinds of significant F cars, it's not because you use them as daily drivers. Now, most consider a group of cars like that to be a "collection" and, by virtue, the owner would be a "collector." As a result, the Enzos went to a lot of collectors and exactly the kind of people that Ferrari declared that it wouldn't go to.

6. Jon@Tezta

Jon@Tezta Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Hong Kong / Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I am curious as to how many Enzo's the Sultan of brunei has in his collection.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No... Ferrari doesn't care if you've got a bunch of cars from OTHER marques...

8. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas

actually they could, one known example is jay kay he had a 360 spider and 550 i think and got one also i know of a owner who only had an F40(in his current collection) and still got the enzo new...

9. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Jay Kay bought his black Enzo used, not from the factory.

10. taunus

taunus Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2002
    Germany, Osnabrueck
    Full Name:
    Ansgar
    I heard of two Enzo build for Brunei, Rosso Corsa and Giallo Modena.
    That isn't true, he even picked it up at the factory in Maranello.

11. SF355

SF355 Rookie

May 16, 2004
    Does anyone know if Ferrari will re adjust the pedals and resize the seats for the enzo if it is bought 2nd hand? I'm sure if they do it, it is very expensive, but I was just curious if they did anhing like that. I know McLaren will re-fit their cars to the clients when they are bought by new owners. Also, does anyone know if the pedals are manually adjustable or are they something permanent by the factory? Were there any other things that Ferrari custom sized to the cars inital owners besides the seats?

12. Godfather

Godfather Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Fiorano
    One of the stories I heard was, that Ferrari contacted the people who ordered the 550 Barchetta to give them first dibs. I have a friend who received an Enzo. He owned a F40 but it was purchased used and he did not own a F50 so who really knows? :)

13. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    He did in fact pick it up from the factory however I am sure it was a cancelled order but why he was "invited" to buy it when he obviously did not meet the criteria previously mentioned I do not know.
    Dave Mc

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Jay Kay was one of the 'chosen' and had his name on the list but he decided not to get an Enzo. Then he saw one at the auto show and realized what he was missing. About that time another 'collector' who was on the list decided that he had experienced enough "Ferrari enlightenment" with his current collection and withdrew his name from the list. So as a result, Jay Kay was back on the list. He was able to special order his black on green Enzo and enjoy a factory deliver experience.
    ch

15. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Roy James
    Black on Green? As in a Black Enzo w/ Green leather?

16. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    yes

17. A.D.K.

A.D.K. Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Andy Klueber
    If you can get the June '03 isse of CAR Magazine. They did a story on Jay Kay and his Enzo. At the time the only two Ferrari's he own at the time were a 360 Spider and 550.
    But he has owned at one time or another an F40 (he regrets selling) and could other Ferrari's.

Has far has get inline for an Enzo it was pretty much like getting an F50. You had to have at least two Ferrari's that you owned at the time and be in good with a dealership who would vouch and also show that you where going to own the car and not flip the car after two months of owning it.
    So all you'll ext tie is the will and the MONEY to buy that Super Ferrari.

18. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

The factory did hand select Enzo buyers, but ownership of specific models was not a prerequisite.

19. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Why do you call the Enzo an "NNO"?

20. Ilya

Ilya Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Ilya
    and what does IMO mean???

:)

21. sk90077

sk90077 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2004
    In My Opinion

22. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    IMO = In my opinion

23. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

DO A SEARCH! :p

n's o = enzo

24. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    No, you dont have to have owned a 288, F40 and F50. If you have onwed those cars however, i would imagine getting on the list is pretty easy. You just have to be a serious collector and even then your not guaranteed an Enzo. You have to convince them your a serious and passionate enthusiast.

-Doug

25. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Carbon is very active and seems like a nice guy and offers funny quotes, but I still don't understand why he, and being the only person on Fchat, calls the Enzo this.

RocketBoy