STOP!!!! (New Brembo brakes) | FerrariChat

STOP!!!! (New Brembo brakes)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by enjoythemusic, Aug 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mr. UPS man just stopped by :) MANY thanks to Fchatter Wayne (and Eugene) of Pelican Parts as MANY folks said i could not get SLOTTED rotors. Well... Wayne can :)

Will wait for the new Kinesis rims to arrive in about two weeks, then have these installed for the front of the Euro spec 308GTS QV.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    "remove sticker before use"

i see. is that sticker made of ****ing titanium or something? what possible harm could come to steel pressing against steel because a tiny piece of sticky-backed paper got in between them?

amusing.

g/l with the upgrades, dude.

doody.

3. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks my friend. And yes, you should read all the disclaimers in the installation book. Guess it takes MANY lawyer types to alert you, ummmm, like, ya know... brakes are kinda important to have installed, like, you know, correctly and stuff.

LOL

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, dragging your feet like Fred Flintstone is a little passe.

You mean you had trouble finding slotted, but not drilled? I thought the brembo kits offered slotted, drilled, or both......

5. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Drilled rotors are bling accessories -- he did right by getting the slotted (for a street car -even seeing track time- solid rotors are preffered.)

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Those are the same cailipers used on porsche's. I hope the propper mounting brakets and all related hardwear pluse measurment instructions came with the kit.

7. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Debated the whole solid/slotted thing. Decided slotted as she is mainly road with some track time.

Yes, the Brembo kit i got from Pelican Parts is specifically for the 308 so all proper mounting parts are included. i COULD try my hand at doing it as the instructions included are very good, yet will wait for Verell or ??? to give me a hand.

FYI: the kit was dropped shipped directly from Brembo USA to me and it has the proper Ferrari 308 part numbers on it.

8. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Seems MANY retailers only sell drilled. i called a few folks and many said slotted were not in their book, only drilled for the 308. Seems wierd, but in the end i got me slotted :) Not sure if i could have received solid (floating) rotors. The car DOES see driving in the rain and whatnot...

9. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Drilled more prone to stress breaks on the track. From bad personal experience I would not use them again. Fine for the road. Slotted great for track as slots wipe away gases coming off pad under heavy braking/high temps.

Brembos are expensive. I use after-market slotted rotors at half the cost of Brembos on the 360CH. Just replaced front set after 2 years. Work just as good as the original Brembos, use the same aluminum hat for floating.

Do 308's not have floating rotors? Also be careful you have enough air going to the brakes after the upgrade. They will produce more heat. Many 360 owners put in Challenge brake systems but forgot that Challenge cars have dedicated brake cooling ducts. Those systems did not last long.

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Drilled seems like a fashion versis true usability. Went with slots due to keeping the pads clean and i do drive in the rain. The 308 is a street car that WILL be seeing track time. So i need something workable/changeable for street driving, yet with some basic planned changeovers she can be on the track and ready to go within a few hours.

Street: 'normal" brake pads, more forgiving shock adjustment, no brake cooling ducts.

Track: more appropriate brake pads, remove fogs for brake ducts, adjust suspension according to track/conditions.

Am debating changing springs for track days, yet this greatly adds effort and time.

Who makes these less expensive units?

For me it was easy to get the entire Brembo kit. With a 'set known' the possibilities open up. Debated other manufacturers (Tarox) yet Brembo is a 'known good'. Better than stock that is for sure!

Same goes for the new suspension as it is dual adjustable and due to standard spring size i can now choose from many different types/suppliers... but i digress.

Stock 308 is the old type solid rotors so the Brembo kit is a vast improvement for float and also lighter aluminum hat. As for more heat, will wait and see. There are a few different solutions. One is to remove the protective covering on the inside, but this opens up road debris getting caught in the works. Another option is to remove the front fog lights and run a brake cooling duct to the rotors. For track i could implement BOTH, yet for street there are debris issues. Naturally street driving should not incur overheating.

Decided the stock brake fluid is a yawner so am replacing it with Motul. This whole project has been about compromise :( She IS NOT a dedicated track car and do indeed drive her as a daily fun car.

Any other words of wisdom as ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Steve what is the suspension set up your using and could you please tell me the company who makes it? I really want to upgrade the suspention on my 308 but I have not found any real feed back as to who is the best to use. I know QA1 has a coil over sytem that will work..but what other options are there out there? I really don't want to do the add on purch idea as I think it's kinda chessy. Also if your could post pictures..it would be most helpful

Thanks

Tom.

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    MK E has Ohlins(sp?) on his car I believe.

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Nice!!! It looks like a great setup. I really need to find time to get propper brakes on my car....

Tom, any of the top shock makers can assemble shocks for a 308. I have Ohlins, but penske, carrera, bilstein are all great. Nick, rexracer, or italian design have kits as well. There are a lot of options, the QA1s are the about the cheapest, top-shelf stuff (that I don't think anyone needs on a street car) can run $2500 per shock.

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Seen a ladder lately?? They look like little billboards with all the safety and legal disclaimers on 'em!!

15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Many of the top-end units -- at least those that use fluid (oil) damping (instead of gas) -- can be rebuilt, rather than replaced.

16. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Went with those offered from Fchat sponsor Nick as seen at http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1005.htm . If you order these, i would have them not do the STOCK lower 1-5 setting on the compression and 1-2 on rebound and have them better spread out the adjustments from 6 to 11 on compression and 3 to 6 on rebound. The STOCK lower setting are worthless, so better to have them make the USABLE adjustments finer (hope that makes sense). i weighted in all the factors and desired DUAL adjustability (and ride height adjustment of course). You may/should want to redo ALL your stock bushings with Energy Suspension's graphite units at the same time.

As others have mentioned, there are other shock/spring alternatives at various prices. It all depends on your budget and usage. Would LOVE to have an electronically controlled system, yet that gets VERY pricey... fast! Is it worth it? Sure if i had bucket loads of money. Alas, my bucket is only half full... or as an engineer may say, my bucket is improperly sized for the amount of money in it ;-)

PS: as for pics, i REALLY threw my back out a few days ago so that will need to wait. Jacking up the car and removing the wheels is easy enough, but am trying to NOT add stress to my back right now. PLEASE wait a week and ask me again on a new thread and i should then be able to take/post pics.

17. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    LOL, actually i JUST bought two ladders a few weeks ago at Home Depot for a friend. You aint kidding!!!

18. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    beautiful brake package.

19. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks Jeff, "your" little car is growing up ;-)

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    <Montgomery Burns>Excellent, Smithers!</Montgomery Burns>

Come up with a battle plan on the vents/foglights yet?

Litter each post with info about your back, and we can litter each post with info on treatment at the same time. Hie thee to a chain "drugstore" and get a box filled with "External Pain Relieving Patches" - Salonpas is just a few bucks - works wonders, is a 70 yr. old Japanese product using an even older "recipe." Puts the right kind of heat on & relieves discomfort. Doesn't just mask it - relieves. Big time. Let's put it this way - my Pop and Brother have both had back surgery - I haven't, though I have hurt mine time and again.

21. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    LOL <Burns> As for fog/ducts, it will be easier than i though. Was looking at a plan for a while and was deep into the front end yesterday. Basically will get small inlets and duct it with the better orange tubing to the center/top of rotor. Fairly straightforward actually. Plenty of room to work there and the ducts will 'rest' above the heater tubing.

All i need to do is remove the bumper (3 minutes), bolt off the fogs lights (3 minutes), then bolt on the air duct (previosuly modded with top bolt and wire mesh front, and lastly attach hose to the duct as hose will be perminently in place all the time.

Well, it is all because of my previous job years ago installing car audio. One needs to be a contortionist. It rarely flairs up nowadays (about once a year) but when it does, it hurts :( i just work it out and (ignoring the pain) keep stretching it out. Usually last a few days, that's all. Masking it does no good really and no need for surgery(!). Reminds me of my sk8board accident where i BADLY popped my knee out. That rarely aches BTW. Damn i feel like a whiney old Jewish man!

(Said in good humor like a Jewish mother retired in Florida)
    And let me tell you about my grandson. Oy, such a nice boy, a real mensch... but what a schmuck sometimes. He got a Ferrari, a really nice one too that looks great and goes fast and he loves it. Anyway, he has been busy, can you believe this Yetta, changing it all. You'd think the Ferrari parts were good enough, but no. Not for Mr. Big Shot over here with all his toys. He has been poor and should know better about wasting money on a car. We had a Buick when I was growing up. A nice car, but those black seats would get really hot in the summer so we would put towels on them. Anyway, so Mr. Big Shot is a nice boy and all, but... He has to redo the Ferrari's suspension, the brakes, the interior... Oy, i swear that car will be the end of him. And he was such a nice, happy boy when he was young. Where did we go wrong? <Takes photo of Steven at age 7 out of purse> Look at him, he is so cute... but he is 39 now and has never been married and has no kids. I don't understand kids nowadays. All they think about is fun fun fun. When we were young we walked to school in the snow uphill... both ways...

NOTE (in humor): Don't whine to me, my people PERFECTED it :)

FYI: i use http://www.frmedicalsolutions.com/store/product.aspx?prdId=43992

PS: thanks for the advice on a back cure. i do have a proper medical heating pad. ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated.

22. Roryferrari

Roryferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    Just purchase the same brembo pkg for my 328. Will be installed this week. As for the rears I'm investigating feasability 348/355 rear drilled rotors and calipers. Will make necessary mods when I receive. Will maintain stock e-brake sys as well. Will update with pics!

23. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Tell me what you find out about the rears. If all else fails, you can contact MOVit for your rears. They offer a system that will retain the use of the rear parking brake.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Looks good ... pity IMHO they decided to paint the bolts ... never liked painted bolts and nuts, etc. ... just gets ruined when you have to remove them, and Catapiller earth moving equipment are things that I think of when everything is painted ... it saves money, Brembo are expensive they should paint then assemble.

Pete's humble opinion

25. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed, would prefer the 'raw' look. But that can easily be done with new bolts during the first time she needs to be separated.