355 strange clutch behavior | FerrariChat

355 strange clutch behavior

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Capt, Jul 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've noticed the last few times that i have had my 355 out that when I start revving the motor in 5 or 6th gear, at around 5K rpms, I see some slipage..I can feel the car not pulling but yet the rpms start climbing...especially when acccelerating.

The 30K major was done a few thousand miles ago and at that time the clutch was fine.

Any thoughts?

Is there a way to check the clutch? In low gears with the rpms steady climbing the car seems to behavior perfectly.

-Michael

2. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Check for leakage of the clutch slave cylinder. The last ownoer of my 355 had it replaced due to leaking. When I had my fluids chaned last Spring my mech@FOA said there was a bit of leakage but not too much to warrant replacement (yet). He said there had been a change of design or spec and that new slaves were supposed to not leak. I'm keeping my eye on mine. My car has 21K miles on it and will check it again soon and definately replace it when I need a new clutch.

JD Atlanta

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sounds like your clutch is just worn out. It could be that it has gotten wet from leakage but the fix remains the same, replace it and fix any leaks that may be present.

4. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    if it was worn out wouldnt it slip all the time?

-Michael

5. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Most noticable in the taller gears...like a punch on the freeway...

Sounds like a clutch and I would rebuild the slave with every clutch change.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

"A" Exactly right
    "B" Good advice

7. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Can the clutch be changed with the engine in the car? can just the transaxle be taken out? How big of a job is this?

-Michael

8. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    Capt, if you do a search you can find a very detailed clutch write-up for a 348/355 (they are pretty much the same).

It is actually a pretty straightforward job since the clutch/flywheel hangs out at the very end of the motor. The biggest things to remove are the rear bumper and the muffler. You can see the flywheel cover by just looking under the car behind the muffler. It's the thing with the little cavallino stamped on it.

I've never had to do it (yet) but I am told it is a 4-6 hour job.

Best of luck,
    Pino

9. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Pino,

Thanks I did a search on the net and saw a picture of one being done and it made sense. For some reason I thought the clutch sat between the motor and transaxle and not at the end. What is the average life of a clutch on a 355 6 speed?

-Michael

10. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K
    Capt,

You seem to be going through exactly what I experiened on my 348 - see current threads - and the advice offered by the rest on this thread is pertinent.

Have a go yourself - its not that bad, but I do not know if the flywheel issues inherent with the 348 are the same on a 355.

If so, and you spot a leak, I suggest doing the lot.

If you haven't spotted it look at threads by ShanB - 348 Clutch - its all there in gory details.

Good Luck.

John

11. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    On my previous '95, it was up to 22K on the original clutch, but it was sold for the current '98 F1 with a bit over 12K miles, and still going strong. *knocking on wood*. But as they say, "your mileage may vary".

Best,
    Pino

12. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    YMMV. Depends entirely upon the driver. My '95 has 38k miles on it, it had 11k when I bought it. Original clutch as far as I know. And that's with three years of track events on the car. :)

Then again, I managed to get 137k miles out of the original clutch on a 5.0 liter Mustang GT, so maybe it's just me... :)

vty,

--Dennis