Chipping a 355? | FerrariChat

Chipping a 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by lung7707, Aug 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Anyone ever chipped(changed the ecu) a 355? Who does it? Power bands changed alot?

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Many posts on this topic the last 2 weeks... Summary - Chipping the 355 really doen't buy you much - you will lose on the top end power range or bottom - so not really any true benefits... Do a quick search (top right menu option)

Other things you can do:

Sports Exhaust
    Test Pipes
    Mass Flow Carbon Air Intakes (or something like that - takes place of your Air intakes with carbon fiber better flow thingy)
    K&N Filter
    Replace Seats and other heavy things with Carbon Fiber to lighten the car
    Put Shields on the sides - this seems to give and extra 50hp :)

3. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    You can try Total Performance - They are a FCA advertiser.
    They have an ECU upgrade for a 355. They show 22+HP for $595
    phone (352) 473-2999 / email: [email protected]

4. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I had the Total Performance chip and it didn't seem to do much. I bought a Challenge chip a few years ago and that did make a difference. More midrange power and I did not loose anything on top or bottom. I also have the GruppeM intake Hyperflow cats and Tubi. Compared to other F355's I have driven and others who have driven mine, it is much quicker. You have to keep the revs up on these cars. Driving above 4500 in any gear will give good acceleration. I think people tend to drive Ferraris like they are Vipers. There is really no good acceleration below 4500-5000rpm

5. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    Where did you get your challenge chip and if you don't mind what do they cost? I have a challenge muffler on my 98 355 and it gives a nice sound. I once considered the challenge brake chip($1500) I think but learned that it is designed for the track and changes the character of the ABS brakes. the engine chip sounds interesting. Thanks.

6. ART360

ART360 Guest

Anyone seen dyno figures on any of these chips? I wouldn't spend the dough unless I could see actual results.

Art

7. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Oh yes, I noticed you get the claimed 50 HP but only when parked. That is a great addition to any Fcar!

8. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I got the chip from Auto Sport Design in New York. I got it several years ago and it was the last set they had. They ran several Challenge cars. The cost was $900 and also got the rear air scoop that fits over the clutch housing and F40 front brakes and rotors from them. The chip made a difference right away compared to the Total Performance chip which didn't feel like it did anything other than raise the rev limit 500rpms

9. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    Does your car have the 2.7 or 5.2 Motronic? thanks.

10. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

It has the 2.7 It is a 95 F355

11. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Sam, do you mind telling me where you got the challenge muffler? They are the best sounding v8 set up I have heard. thanks, John

12. FerrariCF

FerrariCF Karting

Apr 14, 2004
    I had a customer install tubi test pipes, tubi exhaust and aftermarket air filters along with having his ecu reprogramed. He said it was two different cars. So much more mid-range and top-end power. He said he was going to go look for 360's..... so needless to say, I think he was happy.

13. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I have a 5.2 355, I'm finding it difficult to locate a decent chip for it.

What I'm really looking for is a over-run chip (more flames!!!), does anyone know a good supplier of over-run chips for the 5.2 ??

Not so fussed about the Rev limit increase to 9500, but if there is a chip that does that too - all well and good!!

Cheers
    Ade