2004 Concourse D'Elegance Meadowbrook Photo's ;-) | FerrariChat

2004 Concourse D'Elegance Meadowbrook Photo's ;-)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ClassicFerrari, Aug 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
  2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Fantastic photos mate, but please could you tell me what this is.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Nice shot of Craig Jackson. Looks like a guy I want to buy a car from . . .not

4. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Craig? eheheh did I say Bret? Don't ask . It's Craig. :p

oooopps

5. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Good question. Looks like a Detomaso Pantera but its a Bizzarini. Bizzarini was an Italian design company that only built 125 or so cars. They were featured at the concourse.

6. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Thanks, it looked more like a mangusta to me at the rear but the front was different, thanks again.

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    what s/n did they list for the California?

8. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    It's not a Bizzarrini, Pantera or Mangusta but (I think) a one-off American Motors (hence AMX/3) prototype, that is somehow connected with De Tomaso. If anyone has Wallace Wyss's book on 'De Tomaso Autombilies' you can check it out. (I just sold mine on Ebay - drat).

John

9. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

It's a Bizzarini. It was in the Bizzarini featured circle with many more B's. But I could be wrong.

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Its an AMC (American Motors) AMX/3 (says so on the hood). As to who made it for them or any other history - ??? (Guessing Detomaso)

Cool car.

Regards,

Art S.

11. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Yes, the AMX/3 was made by Bizzarini - as a concept - for AMC....

12. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It's a Bizzarrini designed car for AMC, a prototype called the AMX. It has nothing to do with DeTomaso. It, in addition to the prototyped mid-engined Corvette at the time, among others, was why Ford put major pressure on DeTomaso to get the Pantera on the road (9 months from drawing board to the street). All that rush, and none of those rumored mid-engined cars came out. If Ford would have chilled, and let DeTomaso have another year, the Pantera would have been much better.

13. Alfanick

Alfanick Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    Canada

So, you were there too!
    I missed out on the Italian day as well, but got over 750 quality shots on Sunday...

As you say, I hope you don't mind being re-directed...
    http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e36-lounge/5494834-1.html

BTW, here is the blurb I wrote about the Alfa Romeo GTA...

*...- The Alfa to me was one of the highlights of the whole show - seriously!
    It is THE car that forged my love for motorcars at an early age. As a child growing up in Europe in the sixties these GTA Alfas represented the pinnacle of all things good when it came to autos, particularly sport cars.

What we are looking at is the 1965 1600 GTA - one of the first to be made, and actually THE very first winning GTA for Alfa Romeo anywhere on the face of the Earth. Even before Europe!

This one ended up in Montevideo, Uruguay where it was raced by Olmedo and Lepro in the Argentian road racing events. Olmedo used to own an Alfa dealer in Montevideo so he was the money behind the effort whereas Lepro was the driver with talent - apparently HUGE talent at that too - set the fastest time in many stages - was ahead by over 30 seconds on the first stage beating people like Carlos Reutmann (later on he became the Ferrari works team driver in F1).

Carlos Lepro unfortunaltely died later on in another racing event...

Note the perspex screen on the hood - the car was raced often on gravel roads so it needed some protection against flying stones...it is believed to be the only one in the World fitted with the screen.
    The Cibie Oscar auxillary lamps completed the package for night stages.

The Argentinian rallies that this car participated in were the very same ones in which Fangio cut his teeth before he went to Europe to become arguably the best driver in history, except for the fact that Fangio did this in the 1940's, and 1950's whereas the Alfa ruled in the mid to late 60's. It is also the race which the current FIA Argentinian WRC stages are set on.

The car is nearly finished when it comes to restoration, except for the incorrect engine (still a GTA motor, but the numbers are not matching this particular chassis). The gentleman owning the car has the correct motor (as well as a whole 'nother bunch of Alfa GTA's), but due to time constraints they had to fit the other motor. Once the show is over, the proper engine will be installed.

Value?

Totally priceless!

The restoration is absolutely impecable down to the correct colours for the adverts (correct blue on the hood matching the Uruguayan flag, and the black-and-gold Argentinian Auto Club emblem on the doors!!!).

The owner (Mr. Bernardo Martinez) is a more dedicated Alfisti than me, if you can believe that! We chatted for what felt like hours exchanging stories how we were smitten by the marque as kids, and still are even today.
    He is wrting a book on this particular car, because it is so unique in terms of winning and history.
    It's interesting to note that he also owns a BMW E30 M3 which he enjoys driving - he says, but any time he wants to hear how a car should sound, and drive, he fires up the Alfa...!

Once an Alfisti, always an Alfisti...;)))...!...*
    Sorry about the rant about the Alfa Romeo, but it's a great car - can't help myself...;)...
    Little Dino with perspex covered headlamps looked delicious too...!

14. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Awesome, thanks for sharing.