Maserati Year 2005 Coupé and Spyder | FerrariChat

Maserati Year 2005 Coupé and Spyder

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by jack, Jul 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    #1 jack, Jul 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    New announcement from Maserati... I do not like the color combo on the presented pics, but it will be easy to make very nice arrangements! I do not like the new grille nor the rear bumper... And you ?

Dear Maseratisti,

The Model Year 2005 Coupé and Spyder will be available at the Maserati dealer network from September.

The main change is to the front bumper which is fitted with a horizontally ribbed radiator grille inspired by that of the Quattroporte. It is one that reflects the ‘family’ feel of the range. The rear bumper is also new. It is sportier and features wide air intakes shielded by a black, tight mesh grille. The link with the Quattroporte is reinforced in the Coupé with the placing of the classic oval and arrow Trident badge on the rear side panels, as styled by Frua in 1963.

With the Year 2005 model, the interior can be contrasted with different coloured leathers for the central zone of the seats, dashboard and upper door panels. The instrumentation boasts new, sporty blue and white graphics that are easier to read.

The seven-spoke rims are now standard while the fifteen-spoke rims remain an optional extra. The aluminium coloured kit on the console and the door moulding will now be standard.

Other modifications have been made to the interior with the central tunnel having been redesigned with a bigger storage compartment.

The reverse gear lever now has a D (for Drive) option for selecting first gear. To complete the changes, the new Coupé and Spyder models come with an extra metallic paint finish, ‘Rame Ghibli’.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Not much of a change. I think that front picture looks kind of weird... Might just be the angle it was taken from. How much power will it have? If you look at the interior picture where the guy is driving it, it looks like the paddles may be adjustable up and down.

3. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think it looks pretty good. Theres a slight difference in the grill, the rear bumper has an opening on the sides now, and an insignia behind the rear window.

I was going to hold out for a 2005, but went for the 2004 since they had the exact car/with options I was going to order.

4. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I am happy not much change for 2005. Big change is said for 2006, That's when I plan on ordering new

5. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    one question:
    what year/model was it first introduced?

6. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    This body style was introduced (outside the American market) I believe in 1997 with it's distinguishing "boomerang" tailights and was called the 3200GT - 3.2 ltr twin turbo V-8. The US started recieving them in 2002??? with the tailights you see in the photos (the same type tailights worldwide) and normally aspirated 4.2 ltr V-8.

Papa G

7. ARAR

ARAR Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    Rough launch dates in the UK:

3200GT - May 98

4200GT (coupe) - May 02

Cars launched a few months earlier in LHD European market. Spyder launched a little earlier than the coupe. Indeed there are a few Spyder mules at Maserati with the boomerang rear lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes please...

8. daveking

daveking Rookie

Dec 12, 2003
    I was told by a dealer in Australia that most international markets liked those boomerang lights, but they were changed as they did not go down well with the North Americans (Don't know if he was referring to the NA market or just the NA delaers)

Since they changed, the car just doesn't look as special in my opinion.

9. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
  10. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Why did they change to a NA engine? what was wrong with the turbo unit? probably much room for tuning, and lets be fair, i LOVE the current maser, but i liked the boomerang tailights better;)

11. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Even though the cars look similar, the 3.2 Turbo and the 4.2 are very different cars mechanically. Per the Maserati Coupe History book (available from your local Maserati / Ferrari dealer), the 4.2 is substantially faster and significantly different in both the drivetrain (engine, gearbox, etc) and the suspension. The interior is also different - for example the 4.2 uses the steering wheel and various dash and interior bits and pieces from the 550 Maranello.

I believe that 4.2 car was first available in Europe in late 2001, and released in the US in 2002. The 3.2 Turbo was never available in the US.

- Jon

12. ARAR

ARAR Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    Jon

In UK spec, both cars have the same power to weight ratio with the 3200GT usefully ahead on torque to weight. However, the 4200 clearly has better traction given the linear power delivery (the 3200 struggles in the wet) but the differences in performance are actually small - 3mph on top speed and 0.2s on 0-100kmh.

In my opinion, the electronic suspension on the 3200 was actually better than the Skyhook replacement on the 4200 for the 02MY but for 03MY onwards Skyhook got a lot better. Ditto for the manual gearbox - 2nd on 02MY 4200's did'nt exist at <10k miles!

13. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    I Totally agree with guys "missing" those boomerang taillights
    those made the car look very unique. currently it looks common and predictable.
    anyone has pics of an early model rear?

14. Iggy_Type_R

Iggy_Type_R Karting

May 16, 2004
    Do you think you could fit the boomerang tail lights to the 4200?

15. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    does anyone have the story and facts about Ferrari purchasing Maserati?
    is the 3200 a Pininfarina design?
    what was the last Maserati prior to it's rebirth?
    was it brought back to life because of Ferrari?
    thanks in advance.

16. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    Some 4200 cars here in Switzerland have replaced the rear lights with boomerangs, my dealer said it cost around CHF 10'000.00 !!! Beautiful, exotic but expensive...

17. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    the only one i've seen in oz had the number plates "4200GT", and it's kinda funny, coz i remeber seeing it driving around several times in my neighbourhood, and it was bunny-hopping like mad, but not even knowing the car back then, i knew it was something special.

then one day one of my mates rings me up: "there's this guy next to me in a wicked maserati, plates "4200GT", who can't drive for shyte!". it just cracked me up.

but then again, i'd rather be driving badly in a maserati than pushing the envelope in a mitsubishi. :D

18. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i don't like the back seats, they look kinda porta-potty to me, but i've never driven a "family" car that's likely to hold it's own against a lotus so the deep-well style is probably suitable, but the actual dash colour scheme... loved it.