More Questions about buying my first. . . | FerrariChat

More Questions about buying my first. . .

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SoBay Jim, Aug 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoBay Jim

SoBay Jim Rookie

Jul 31, 2004
    South Bay / LA
    Full Name:
    Jim Adams
    Thanks! You've all convinced me of what I wanted to hear. Buying a Ferrari for daily use is a GREAT idea! So, a few more questions. Is there a complete registry that I can use to look up the car's history via the serial number? I expect to use Carfax for a first pass, but am interested in the references that I've seen that also track SN. Of course, I will also review the maintenance records and go over the car with a fine tooth comb. Can anyone refer me to a good mechanic in the Lomita / Palos Verdes area that might point me to a car, or inspect a potential candidate?

Also, since this won't be a garage queen, is there a comprehensive listing that shows the various options available for 308s, 328, and Mondials by year. I'm especially interested in compression ratios (91-92 octance pump gas would be really nice), 2/4 valves, interior/exterior colors, AC, ABS, power windows, locks, etc.? I've also seen a few references to the maintenance requirements that appear to indicate some models DON'T require the engine to come out for major PM visits. Is this true?

I do have tools and am willing to use them for the basics. I've spent five years racing 3/4 midgets and could not find a general mechanics that will touch those - I'm not afraid to pick up a wrench. BTW-Anyone want to go circle track racing? I've got a two complete cars with spares that need to be sold to make room in the garage. A wet clay track, 120+hp and an 800lb car make for some major excitement.

Thanks for all the responsed on the other thread.

Jim.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well, maybe not GREAT, but they are functional daily drivers and fun. There will be compromises...

There's not a comprehensive registry. There are many enthusiasts of particular models that run registries dedicated to that model. Even then, unless it's an extremely rare car (most 3x8 series don't count) detailed records may not be available. When you find a potential car, post the VIN and see what shows up.

Go get yourself a copy of Original Ferrari V8 http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1870979788/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-4180229-6768667#reader-link

Baseline:

74-77 == 3.0 litre, ~250 HP, 2 valve, carbs
    78-79 == 3.0 litre, ~205 HP, 2 valve, carbs
    80-82 == 3.0 litre, ~205 HP, 2 valve, FI
    83-85 == 3.0 litre, ~240 HP, 4 valve, FI
    86-88 == 3.2 litre, ~260 HP, 4 valve FI
    88.5-89 == 3.2 litre, ~260 HP, 4 valve FI, ABS

Those are factory numbers, Ferrari tended to be a bit optimistic in their ratings.

308 and 328 do not require engine out procedures. All Mondial have a subframe and require engine removal.

3. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    "308 and 328 do not require engine out procedures. All Mondial have a subframe and require engine removal"

I had a major on my Mondial 8. Engine stayed in the car. Is it different for newer Mondials?

Also, the chart shows the late 70's carbed models have the same HP as an early 80's FI. I always thought the cvarbed models were more powerful than FI????

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Thanks for the correction on the major. I was told otherwise, but I will defer to the owner :)

There's conflicting info within the literature from Ferrari, and some owners of late model carb cars will swear that their cars are the same as earlier ones, but it's been pretty well documented from various dyno tests by owners that the later cars are also down on power. As I understand it, there were changes in timing for emission purposes that hurt the power on that motor.

5. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    78 and 79 carb models were down on power for US models as compared to the earlier versions (cams and emissions). Euro models in 78 and 79 still have the more aggressive cam profiles and retain the power of the earlier models.
    john
    78 308 GTS Euro

6. milstanselnino

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Would a late 70's carbed 308 be faster or quicker than a 19890 FI 308?

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    A 1989 car would be the last year of the 328...and I would suspect should be pretty quick. Having said that...I had a Euro 308QV (1985) that was way faster than any US 328 that I have driven.

As far as the engine out service on Mondials go....only the t versions which had the 348 drivetrain require engine out for a major.

Your best source for info on specs would be the Original 308/328 book.

Good luck...Ciao...Dino

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    As an owner of a US spec '78 I would be inclined to say yes after a few runs with some 'i' cars.

My manual also says I have the same 205 HP at the flywheel that the early injected car has.

My dyno chart shows 176.5 at the rear wheels, this with ANSA sport exhaust, no thermal reactor or cats and XR700 ignition.
    The only reason why (that I can think of) it might be faster is due to tuning flexibility of the carbs and throttle response.

9. milstanselnino

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Sorry for my sloppy typing. I meant a 1980 308.

By the way, I appreciate the responses to the question!

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    [QUOTE

Baseline:

74-77 == 3.0 litre, ~250 HP, 2 valve, carbs
    78-79 == 3.0 litre, ~205 HP, 2 valve, carbs
    80-82 == 3.0 litre, ~205 HP, 2 valve, FI
    83-85 == 3.0 litre, ~240 HP, 4 valve, FI
    86-88 == 3.2 litre, ~260 HP, 4 valve FI
    88.5-89 == 3.2 litre, ~260 HP, 4 valve FI, ABS

Those are factory numbers, Ferrari tended to be a bit optimistic in their ratings.
    QUOTE]

The NW region FCA has done quite a few dyno runs with various 308's and 328's. For the most part, the cars run right in line with factory specs for hp. The only times they don't, is when there are obvious problems with distributor advance, or something.