Thoughts? 355ch or 348ch? | FerrariChat

Thoughts? 355ch or 348ch?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CarreraScott, Aug 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Have an opportunity to pickup a 355 challenge (1996) or 348 challenge (1989). price differential $15k. Big advantage of the 348 is it's street-drivable. Big advantage of the 355 is it's 6 years newer and just a newer/more advanced F-car.

All other things being equal (assume same engine work done, similar history, condition etc), which of these 2 cars would be more fun? I'm hoping to get more track time in in the future so not being able to road-drive the car isnt the WORST thing in the world -- but to be able to take it out on the public backroads would be fun in the 348.

What would you suggest? ;)

2. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    I personally preffer the 355 over the 348 .I'm not a nostalgic type of person "usually" .I must admit though I wish the 355 came w/ the 348 doors "the 348's are way cool!!

The performance of the 355 is "far" superior IMO to the 348.
    nimble drivability as well as dependability.This to me is well worth the additional "up-front" cost .My "day off" is worth thousands when that car starts 'every time" and I've NEVER been stuck on the side of the road in my 355.
    I purchased my 99 355 w/ 30k on the ODO and now has almost 50k 1 and a half years later.
    The 355's manual is "much" smoother vs's the 348 notorious "notchy" and difficult to shift precisely and quickly.Not to mention depedability issues w/ the 348.(I opted for the F-1) which is dead accurate ALL the time and a hell of a lot more enjoyable for me especially when driving agressively.PS... In support and dis-agreement w/ most F-cars opinions I still have the original clutch almost 50k on it and shifts "perfectly!"

Either way you go you'll surely enjoy the ride.Hope this helps and be safe!!

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    IMO 95 355CH, else go for 348 so you can atleast drive it around....unless you leave near a track.

4. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    First off, there's was no factory 348 Challenge car for '89 model year....It first appeared in '94. So this 348 car was converted to "Challenge" specs at some point (a negative in my opinion). Besides the '89 348 cars are the least desirable to own (first year production) and have well documented shortcomings with suspension, brakes and electronics....Ferrari made several upgrades to the later model 348s ('93, '94).

The 348CH is streetable and cheaper to buy (+)

The 355CH is a newer car with better technology and faster around the track vs 348CH in stock form (+)

A $15K price difference seems like a bargain when comparing these two Challenge cars....I would opt for the 355CH just because it's a newer and better car for only $15K more if both cars had service records available...

In most cases you can convert the 355CH to be steetable as well (for a few $$ more).

How about service records, maintenance, mileage, track time, engine rebuild records etc...The $15K price difference can turn into a nightmare without any records.

All the best - VK

5. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    You may be able to title a '95 355C or a 348C, depending on where you live, but how do you plan to get it past VA's inspection in order to keep it tagged? Neither car is street legal, by any means. As for desireability, the 348C is cheaper to maintain and lacks power steering (which is a good thin in my opinion), although 355Cs are pretty cheap these days and offer a lot of bang for the buck. Converting either car to street-legal form emasculates it, costs a bunch, and is of dubious legality anyway. Of course, in their Challenge spec they're real hair shirts (hot, noisy and rough-riding, with very little ground clearance and no amenities)- take my word for it.
    Edit: I assume you're aware that nearly every Challenge car was wrecked (some often), so check carefully. I bought mine largely because it was the only one I'd found that had been only lightly raced (3 or 4 events in '94) without being crashed.

6. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Scott, In 1995 the 355c came with a title and to my understanding that was the only year and to make anything later 'streetable" would be very expensive and difficult. There is one for sale that I know of, raced only a few times and in excellent condition. It is low miles and very well serviced. I have driven it on two occassions and the sound is the best I have ever heard. Nice handling and though very stiff, in the softer mode is ok for hiway travel and rough roads. Not a car to get the groceries in but a great canyon and track car. Pm me if you want more info. John

7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I get groceries in mine all the time! I drive it almost every weekend, last weekend 350 miles, the weekend before, 648 miles to Asheville NC and along the blueridge parkway.

The roughness, rawness if you will, is part of the experience or "charm". Open track exhaust, earplugs, no air...I love it!!

No problems so far, over 5000 miles in the last 5 months.

PS: there is a 355 carbon fiber wing for sell on ebay, now price is 2500. The seller said it cost over 16K. Could that be true? My 348c has one as well.

Incidently, the one I have supposivly is the 348c Jim Kenton won the 1996 348 Series with.

8. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    355 is so much nicer looking imho

shifts nicer
    has 6 speeds
    pwr steering
    will hold its value better
    has adj ride
    bigger displacement

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hmm, not much time to post now, I need to get the newsletter out.

Anyway, a 348 C goes for between $30-45k, a 355 for between $55-80k.

I would be extra careful with any of the 348's and the lower end 355's. Driveline rebuild $20k+. Most 348's haven't been cared for or driven much lately. I can't remember the last time I saw 348 C's at the track. They're all gathering dust. Many 355 C's still actively tracked and right now you can find several with fresh rebuilds (like mine), but in 2-3 years I think they will be more like the 348's. Racers rebuild every year and make sure everything is perfect, track guys will sit on them for years without upkeep.

I think a nicely painted 348 and 355 C look about the same. I do like the 355 C Carbon wing.

Performance wise a 355 C will have a few seconds on the track.

If you're price sensitive I would almost shop around and find a $40k 348 that has great leak down and compression numbers. If not, then 355 C is a much better and reliable car, but probably not worth the extra $35k.

10. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Whenever the question of buying ferraris comes up, the most common advice I read is to buy the newest one you can afford. I guess that applies to cars you want to track aswell.