TR......access to throttle cable | FerrariChat

TR......access to throttle cable

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by henryk, Aug 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    After completing the major service on my car, I am unable to get enough slack from the throttle cable to reach the throttle lever...........engine is already back in the car.

It seems to be "stuck" at the accelorator pedal end. How to I get to this? Do I have to remove some of the center console, or just the very front end of it?

Thanks

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Your problem is most commonly the engine end of the throttle cable. The outer part of the cable has a metal piece that is supposed to slip into a recessed hole in the casting that it travles through at the front of the motor. They are sometimes a close fit and very difficult to properly seat. To compound this with the location of the fuel distributors and everything else in the way they are also very difficult to see. Armed with a mirror, and a flashlight you will be able to see it but you will prob need an extra set of hands to properly seat it. Try that first, of the many, many TR's I've had the motor out of I have only once had to get to the front end of the cable to reposition it. It's been a long time but I believe if you remove the plastic piece surrounding the throttle pedal, as well as slip out the lower carpeted trim piece below the leather portion of the console you can gain access to the front end of the cable, this is of course after removing the floor mats.
    Don't forget to leave a little slack in the cable and to ck for full throttle when you are done.

3. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Thanks Brian. I have the metal piece, of the sheathing, in the proper hole of the casting, and the cable coming out.......however, it seems that the cable is too short. Even with the end piece attached, it will not reach the throttle linkage, where it is supposed to attach to. The accelerator pedal moves freely, and the wire does move with movement of the pedal. It seems that it is just too short!!!!!!!

It is tricky, as you say.........however, I have the fuel distributors removed, and that made it easier.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Make sure it is fully seated, then if required go to the front end as I described. If the front end is not reaching its recepticle you may have routed it incorrectly.

5. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I will check the front end of the cable. The interesting thing is, that I never removed the cable.........just let it hang from the engine end, when the engine was out.

I think it is caught on something at the front end, not allowing full extension.