I need help from anyone with a Ferrari Database... | FerrariChat

I need help from anyone with a Ferrari Database...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SefacHotRodder, Aug 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've just realized that the layout i had planned for my own database would not work. So, i just want to know if anyone has any ideas. I'd be using access and know quite a bit about it (relationships etc). The problems i have are as follows:

1. History of a car can always change. In access, if you enter data somewhere on a table and then i have to enter something about the car that happened BEFORE that data, i can't. In excel, you could just right click and go to new row. How do you get around this?

2. Layout. I need it to be simple and easy to enter new data. But, not too simple. I need to be able to have color history, owner history, plate history etc all laid out. Also, more in depth stuff like an engine change or crash history will have to be able to be implemented.

3. Each piece of data has to stay in sync with each other. Ie. if the car had a repaint on say... 5th Nov./1987, i have to be able to know by looking at that who the owner was, plate, location and then have detailed info on the repaint (who did it, where, price etc. When it is avaliable of course).

I have pretty much all the fields sorted:

Serial
    Postfix
    VIN
    Year
    Type
    Subtype
    Style
    Production #
    Series #
    Original Engine Type
    Original Engine #
    Other Engine/Production Notes (Original Engine)

Current
    Engine Type
    Engine #
    Other Engine/Production Notes
    Configuration
    Exterior Color
    Interior Color
    Interior Material
    Livery
    Race #
    Owner
    Wheel Type
    Drive Type

Original
    Style
    Body Type
    Configuration
    Exterior Color
    Interior Color
    Interior Material
    Livery
    Race #
    Owner
    Wheel Type
    Drive Type

I'm not really worried that some stuff on there may need to be changed as thats really a rough guide (not in any order) and i have an updated list on paper.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks a lot

Chris

2. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    please, i know lots of people here have them.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Chris, I don't think that "Other Off-Topic" is the right place for this. Moving to "Vintage" discussion forum.

4. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, i was going to ask someone to do this. It seems you guys are the ones who know about these things.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Chris -

Before getting too deep into the individual fields, I think you should concentrate on the specific tables you'll need, and what key fields will go accross all of them.

In the simplest terms, the VIN should be your primary key. You'd have a single "Base Configuration" record for each car, but multiple records in the other tables for each car. Maybe establish tables such as:

Base Configuration
    ------------------
    VIN
    Year
    Model
    Original Color

Owner History
    -----------------
    VIN
    Date Acquired
    Mileage Upon Acquisition
    Owner Name
    Owner Location

Attributes
    -----------------
    VIN
    Attribute Notes
    Date Noted

Race History
    -----------------
    VIN
    Track
    Race Date
    Driver
    Start Position
    Finish Position
    Race Comments

Service History
    -------------------
    VIN
    Service Date
    Service Work Performed
    Service Performed by
    Mileage

and so forth....

6. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you, i assume by VIN, you mean Serial. Do you know how i could get around problem #1?

Thanks

Chris

7. rloewy

rloewy Karting

Aug 4, 2004
    Don't know nothing about Access, but generally speaking if you set the purchase date in the history table as one of your keys (along with the VIN) - you are going to be OK. You can always sort using this field (most databases end-user databases will display tables using the primary key as the default sort order).

Ron.

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Still after many years I use simple Word documents to list most of my data (maybe 10.000 pages as plain text or so). I list cars per model sorted by chassis number. I then list all known history in chronological order. Plain documents are very easy to go through (joyfull reading too!) and it is very easy to locate keywords like names, places... etc.

I also use some Excel-files to list purely 2-dimensional data: this allows me to sort cars per model or chassis number and so on. I also maintain separate files for assembly numbers, engine numbers, some technical data, around 500 paint colors used over the years and so on.

Sofar I have deliberately decided not to use a "real" database. I am quite certain that I would only run into problems before I could create system that would outperform the way I run things at the moment.

My advice: start simple and easy. Start using a proper database only when you know what you are going to do and how. I'm convinced that this way you will save many many hours of work; maybe more than you ever realize!

Best wishes, Kare

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thank you Kare, i was thinking about this but i wasn't sure how effective it would be. Thanks for the tips and it seems i may do that instead of a full database.

10. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Chris, I invite you to take a look at my registry's info submission page to help give you an idea of how I've arranged mine. I'm simply looking for basic vehicle details and ownership history and leave it up to the submitter to go into any more detail about the car. I'm pleased with this set-up. When I receive the info, I go through it, confirm it with other sources (if I already have it in my files) and add it manually (straight HTML code) to my online database. Not the way most computer-people would do it, then again, I ain't one and this way works for me.

Please visit:
    http://www.dino-gt4-registry.com/Reg-Submit.htm

11. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thank you Peter. That does help actually. Your setup is simple yet effective.

I'm still not sure about the word idea. I really would like to stick with access.