Anybody buy their first Ferrari new from the dealer? | FerrariChat

Anybody buy their first Ferrari new from the dealer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CChung, Aug 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    I've been a Ferrari enthusiast for a long time and have been lurking on this forum for several years. I finally would like to get my first Ferrari and would like to purchase a new one. I first wanted a 360 Modena but when I saw the F430 coming out with 100 more horsepower and Enzo-like rear end I decided to wait and get this model. I called several dealers and they said I have to buy a car in their inventory first before they even let me get on their wait list. They also said that in order to be in good standing with the dealership that I have to sell my car through them also. I guess they're trying to make money on the same car by selling it over and over again. So I'm wondering if anyone on this board was able to buy their first Ferrari new from a Ferrari dealership without having to purchase a Ferrari from them first. Thanks for any replies.

2. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Wow, I didn't know you guys in the States have those kind of hassles from your dealers!

3. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Time to try another dealer..

Sounds like Bullsh!t to me.

4. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    unfortunately, its not bull****...I went through the same hassle enquiring about a new ferrari and getting on a list....gave me a line about buying a used ferrari from them first and then I would get on a list with a probable 2 year wait because their "best customers always get to the front of the line"

Nice way to get new customers...

I won't pay over MSRP and I won't be dictated to....hence no Ferrari !

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I was in the same boat. Buy used, I bought a TR after coming to the realization that the 360 was not to be. Its been a great 5 yrs with her and spent a fraction of the cost, and get dbl the looks and as much pleasure. Or you can eait another 5yrs and buy the 430, but just imagine how much less the 360 will be by then ? No win situation, enjoy life and you should dictate it not the dealer.

6. mja360f1

mja360f1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2004
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Mike Ancona
    I went on the 'list' for a new 360 F! coupe in July of '02 without first buying used from Lake Forest Sports Cars with a two year wait.

Of course, that was in third model year, I don't know what the 'list' status is for the F430. Call Tyler Dean at 847-295-6560

7. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    I got on the list for a 360 in 2000, late 2002 my turn came up and was picking out my options but didn't feel right about the car so turned it down. This was my first Ferrari and my local dealer was going to order the car for me no problem and they keep telling me to just let them know when im ready and they will get me a car,so find a new dealer.

8. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I must have the best dealer going. Back in I believe 1997 I ordered my first ever Ferrari a 360 Modena sight unseen, no spy pictures, just rumors from Algar in Philadelphia. There was NO bullsh$$ just a $1000 and they placed my name on there "list". Three long years later I received a call to come down and see and drive there demo car, and a year later April of 2000 I took delivery of my rossa corsa/beige 360. I have since left my deposit there bought a 2003 Spider and am one of the first people on the list for the 430. I am offfered Cappacino or any other drink while waiting for anything and my salesman Francis, and there service manager Mark are always polite and accomidating. Anyone looking for an Fcar I couldn't recommend Algar anymore highly. They seem to be a rarity in the Ferrari community. The real shame is that you seem to have to buy new fcars from your nearest dealer, because I guess many are filled with paumpous aholes.

9. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    In Hong Kong, bought 355 in 1996 and 550 in 1998; both cases only 2 months wait. In Tokyo 2001 bought 360 Spider with 10 months wait. No BS from dealer and paid MSRP.

Although US wait lists are generally much longer, but you need to find another dealer. No point expecting service from people who do not have to or want to make any effort to sell F cars, because you will always be at the bottom of their priority list.

10. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    CChung,
    I bought my car from a dealership in your area, and I got the distinct feeling that the prior owner was put under pressure to sell his car through them so that he would be allowed on the list for a 360. Very interesting...

TWS