celeb lifestyles...real or blown out of proportion? | FerrariChat

celeb lifestyles...real or blown out of proportion?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bostonmini, Aug 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Guys, this is eating away at me...Just finished watching another one of those damn "its good to be" shows on MTV or one of the similar channels. My question is, do the TV stations and the celebs you see all over TV (Hiltons, P. Diddy, J. Lo, playboy mansion types,) etc really have this good at time? sure seems like they just dont work if thats the case, and I just dont get it. The things they show are just..I dunno, call me strange soo distant, for example, on one show last night Nicole Kidman was said to spend get this, 350K for 25 hours of flying on her private jet....WHY? WHO DOES THIS STUFF? YOU COULD GIVE ME A BILLION DOLLARS AND I COULDNT SPEND LIKE THESE GUYS!!! I assume it must be for publicity that they promote this "fantasy" lifestyle no? they gotta dump on a porcelain toilet, I know that much....your thoughts fellas? this is a relatively elite crowd, for the most part so...good insight is available;).

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Who wants to watch a show with celebrities explaining how they saved and invested in no load mutual funds?

3. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#3 maranelloman, Aug 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Fact: 95% of celebrities that answer the door, do so wearing a ratty-ass white terry-cloth bathrobe.

5. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    oh my god... MARK! How do you come up with this stuff? I mean geez - thats perfect and you should get your work published, if you haven't already.

The detail is the kicker... "coming soon: bankruptcy" LOL!

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Shallow, materialistic, phoney ,thick, generally talentless LUCKY BASTARDS :D

7. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    There's a lot of pressure on celebrities to have an extravagant lifestyle. Its just what the general public expects and demands to see from them. Still, a lot of celebrities are very stupid in the way that they go about having that lifestyle. For example, I saw on The Fabulous Life (one of those VH1 shows about celebrity lifestyles) that some celebs spend up to $600,000 a year to rent homes in the Hamptons for the summer. If they want to spend that much on summer homes, thats fine with me, but in my opinion, its really stupid of them to spend that much on renting when they could at least be building equity (and get some income in the non-summer months) if they spent the same amount to actually purchase the homes.

And then there are stupid things like Brittany Spears using her private jet to fetch Coffee Bean for her. Now, I'm an Angeleno, and I love my Coffee Bean (I practically have a physical addiction to the eXtreme Mocha Ice Blended), but it isn't worth the extra several thousand dollars of a private jet trip over a Starbucks Frappacino. Stuff like that is downright foolish, and is how so many celebs end up bankrupt.

And really, who needs things like $90,000 watches? I love expensive things and congratulate them on their ability to spend money, but even I have my limits of what I would consider reasonable (and mine generally are much higher than your average persons'). It's possible to lead a very glamorous lifestyle without absolutely throwing money away. 99% of people can't tell the difference between a $100 bathing suit and a $600 one. 99% of people can't tell the difference between a $10,000 watch and a $90,000 one (and by the way, having a watch that is completely encrusted with diamonds and practically burns your eyes out when reflecting the sun looks more cheesy than classy, IMO). 99% of people arn't going to notice if you wear the same outfit more than once, so why have a new outfit for every single day of your life? I mean, are there any celebs out there who at least have some common sense in them?

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    You need to remember that most Celebs do not pay for certain items. Its given to them...example, Dr.Krane was p/u by helicopter to and from work by the studio, as a signing bonus he received a Viper. The cast of freinds as a bonus all received new Porches as a gift from the station. Will Smith gets free clothing from designers at premiers and the new sub culture of advertising is no longer commercials (because people change stations on commercials) New form of advertising is during an interview with Leno or Letterman or anyone else. What are you wearing *****, things of that nature. In most cases thats why the celebs seem to live this lifestyle, its all for the show and advertising so you can go out and spend $$$ on the same things as them...like special coffee beans.

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Happiness does not come from blowing $. Happiness comes from being secure and calm and relaxed & it doesnt really cost much
    As long as you have the basics of food, water, shelter, health, & sanity you can achieve high levels of happiness.

Desire on the other hand which our consumer society is based & driven by is what really causes suffering

Desire to have more stuff, to be thinner, to be more beautiful to be more popular, to find the perfect mate, to have people envy you. Any kind of desire that you allow to drive you will cause you to suffer

10. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Last two posts really hit it home, I figured the whole advertising thing went to new extremes, but its amazing that some celebs request bottled water...to wash their hands? WTF!!!? The funny thing is that most of the TRULY wealthy seem to act pretty darn normal. Im sure plenty on our board wouldnt have a problem showing 7 zeros in their bank account, and maybe a few showing 8! but you dont see all saying "sorry guys, gotta leave for a month in St. Tropez, then I gotta jet to Rio, then get the jet over to the hamptons, then rent the island of tahiti.."

11. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Very well said.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While celebrities do have money to burn, they are poor in comparason to some vested gentry around the world. When I was in St. Barths earlier this year I spoke with the Captain of a 200+ foot yacht docked there. I ask him whether or not a celebrity owned the yacht, he laughed and said,..."a celebrity couldn't afford this yacht, it belongs to a wealthy French oil baron..."

13. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    jerry seinfield has a shower that uses Evian water... but i think he has a little more cash then most celebs...

just thought that was kinda cool...

14. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Not my work, I just found it.

I can show you all the zeros you ever wanted to see. Just don't expect to see any other numbers.

15. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    You know everybody has a different magic number. I think if you have $30 million in liquidity, anything beyond that point pretty much does not make a difference. You will still live the same way if you had 30 million, 40 million, 60 million or 80 million.

The important part is not to allow the money to get to your head. Some hardworking or lucky (whichever way you prefer to call it) people earn their wealth quick but it is hard for them to understand and degest their new money. In the case of most celebs, this is precisley the case. Many of them come from poor back grounds. So when they see 7 or 8 digit figures in their bank accounts overnight things get a little out of hand. Hence, the jets and the 4 sports cars, 3 houses and 250k diamonds all over them.

However, then there is a case to be made for some celebs that are level headed. They understand there new found wealth and invest it into business ventures and assets that will help them if they happen to lose their celebrity status. They too have luxurious lifestyles, but understand that life will go on if they do not drive around in a bentley. A comfortable Mercedes or BMW is alright too. Yes, if you have money live life to the max, but understand that there is a tomorrow too.

16. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    guys, not to sound naiive, but your insight is really quite helpful, growing up today, the rush to get wealthy etc is more present I think than ever, so this is interesting assuming not all answers came from 21 year olds with 21 year old priorities!

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Boston mini, I think you have to beware saying things like, "I could never spend X amount of money, ever..." because there is always something bigger and better and the sky really is the limit on spending. And you'll find that once you have a certain amount new things (like $20,000 toilets or $1M garages) will be presented to you. Then you get a hobby like collecting vintage Ferraris or art, and then you get into huge, huge money. Unless you have a strong will and control over your wants, the consumption function will easily expand with your bank account.

For many people with jets and helicopters and such, [they feel] their time has become more valuable than the cost of running the jet. Which can be true for someone with a productive life. I think a lot of this stuff about Britney flying in coffee or Madonna certain things on their jets is just done to be a publicity stunt and a power ploy (the "I have so much money I can pay $32,000 to have a meal flown to me" move).

Frank is right though, most Hollywood types can't compare to these large business types and wealthy families who have serious money. Not only that, they can usually shop at stores without being hassled for autographs and such.

And I think a ton of these young rappers on Cribs are probably financed up the ying-yang.

18. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    they have this image they HAVE to up hold.

?I would love the money and attention. Mostly the woman and cars.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    imperial83, $30m would be a lot for me. However, when you own a $200m yacht as in my St. Barths example, $30m represents annual operating cost and crews salaries.

20. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I choose not to have a yacht like that. I find that my 14 ft kayak is somewhat less capital intensive all things considered.

21. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Keep in mind most of the blingers don't pay for half their crap. Snoop Dogg is sponsored by some guys to put the 24" wheels on his car ... so the 40grand price tag is actually zilch of his money ... pretty cool uh?

Would be pretty interesting to see how each of use would stay level headed with an insane amount of money ... how would you say "wait ... this is getting ridiculous"

22. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #22 writerguy, Aug 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Right now there is a trend to glorifying thug culture on both sides of the spectrum. RedNeck or white trash is cool (kid Rock, Jesse James etc) and The Urban Thug is big on the other side.

Here is a little tidbit for you Funk Master Flex the dude who does the show on spike was going to do a show on a "special" car maker and wanted a Free car in return. Pretty bold but if you can get away with it...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I get your point. The $200m yatch type of extravagance is exactly what I am talking about. It would give me the same if not more pleasure to own a boat of $1m than to deal with the headaches of operating a $200m yatch. Why do I need a $200m yatch when I could still enjoy the company of my friends and family on a $1m boat? I could certainly affoard a $1m boat if I had $30m in the bank. As I said, the magic number is different for everyone. But I think it its crazy to blow money just because a person has it.

24. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    what i think is for every star on those shows there are 100 actors, rappers, basketball stars, that we all would say wow that guy was hot, what happened to him. that are dead broke because they spent it all, you just never see them or hear from them again. Its not hard to spend 10 million in 10 years, and then owe the IRS millions.

john

25. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I think what it is, is what i was getting at when starting the thread, they buy this stuff bc even though a man with plenty of money is not interested in a $200 million yacht, to stay in the limelight and have ppl say "look at what so and so just bought" they want to, to stay "cool". also remember, their careers are viciously short lived and/or hot/cold, so I guess they buy it while they can?