Boss' Camry vs Your Ferrari?? | FerrariChat

Boss' Camry vs Your Ferrari??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JamesR, Aug 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JamesR

JamesR Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    In a very conservative and reserved corporate setting where many senior executives drive low-key family cars (such as Camry and Accord), does junior staff (or staffs ranked lowered than senior executives) driving/owning nicer and fancier cars (like 355) leave negative impressions to senior folks?

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it funny you should ask that... i own both a camary and a 360spider....i never take the spider to work.. but then again i am the boss but i dont want my workers to see it.... they will want a raise!!!!

3. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    When I worked at a a major silicon valley industry, that exact scenerio unfolded. The "senior mgmt" had an Acura NSX..... the "worker" rolled up in a 355ts.

I wouldn't think so... a corporate world should be driven to success and you would at least expect, that they would be happy for your success.

4. JamesR

JamesR Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    So, if a junior person work under you shows up in a 360 at a corporate event, would that leave a negative impression (i.e. would you question whether you are paying him too much)???

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "My investment portfolio pays for it..."

My boss is STILL trying to figure out how I do it....LOL!

6. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I wouldn't think so. The money could have come from within the family to purchase the car.

7. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Paying them tooo much??? I don't buy into that, some people can manage their money better than most or they ran into a lump sum of cash, we don't know their story. The "Boss" may have other obligations and debts in his personal life.

8. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    It all depends on th type of boss. Bill Gates has always driven to office in medium sized family Toyotas or Hondas. I am certain some of the programmers that work for him have Ferraris.

However, if your boss has a big ego and you drive to work in a Ferrari, you can kiss that raise or promotion good bye. :)

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Last I heard, Bill Gates drives a Lexus LS430.

I've always been a believer that it's not what you make as much as how you SPEND what you make.

10. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    When I toiled away for HP, they provided a company car for all managers above a certain level (Not that high). They all got Ford Taurii or Mercury Sables.

So the lot was filled with those. Lots of worker bees drove MUCH nicer wheels.
    No Ferraris that I ever saw, but tons of Porsches, Beemers, Lexii, NSX,

Erich

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    If they ask about it, just tell them you're leasing or that you financed most of it and are barely surviving. If you don't have wife/kids/house, say, "well, I don't have ____, so I figured I would enjoy my money..."

They will think you're silly and making poor personal financial decisions, but if you play it off like you'll be more dedicated to the company because of the expenses (like you just slapped on the golden handcuffs yourself), you might pull it off just fine.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Does your "very conservative and reserved corporate setting" have clients or customers?

13. JamesR

JamesR Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    Yes. Does it usually matter?

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Love that term.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The customers will likely think they're overpaying if they see a Ferrari, depending on the business.

For a plaintiff's lawyer, it's a great sign, for a contractor it would likely be the kiss of death to closing.

The way you describe it, I think there is probably a reason the execs drive modest cars - to show clients they are frugal and cost effective.

16. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think anything that draws attention to yourself like that in a corporate setting is a definite no-no.

I own my own company and would never pull up in a new BMW much less a Ferrari.

If you pull up at work in a Ferrari you will be labeled "The Ferrari Guy" or "The guy that drives the Ferrari" It will not get you anyhwere fast. It's no different than showing up at a meeting with a $5000.00 hot pink Gucci suit.

Guaranteed, Count on it.

17. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Was that Reese at Farallon by Chance?

18. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm a blue collar kind of guy in middle management now. When people first found out I bought a Ferrari there was some good natured ribbing. The thing is most of them don't realize that I paid less for my car than a lot of them paid for their new trucks or cars.

Not too long ago I ran into one of my bosses just as I was pulling the car into a local club event. Of course he made the same kinds of comments but later took pictures of me driving the car (which he keeps telling me about but I haven't seen yet).

I can see where some might be jealous but too bad! In certain business situations I imagine it would not be good to pull up in a Ferrari.

If your truly that worried about it don't drive it to work! Besides it will give you a reason to get out of the office and home so you can go for a drive!!

19. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    It does effect their perception of you depending on their stance. You can be seen as frivolous and irresponsible to buy something like that on your salary. Then again if you can easily afford the car are you seen as a risk taker that rewards himself?

We are a youth centric culture, it is always hard for older guys that have to heed to voice of reason, code for the wife wants you to not have fun at all so they resent those that are young enough to enjoy it.

For you OC guys there was a silver 550 owner, he got the car and loved life, it was a bone to pick with the wife that wanted him to drive the Range Rover to take the kids to soccer practise. In the divorce she nailed his ass for the 550. Poor sob probably cruises around in a Camry now envying the kids in M3s. It has a lot to do with backstory and management style.

My dad says he cruises in his Vette thinking of all the girls he sees on the beach on his way home. With my ride, they got in the car. Dad always hated that. What he no longer has of his youth and my playboy lifestyle.

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Absolutely.

Do you have "clients" or do you have "customers"?

21. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I am a graphic designer in a small office. I drive a camry daily, but recently (february) purchased a Ferrari. Because of the small "family like" office setting, everyone knew how long I have wanted a Ferrari and they were very happy when I drove it to work the first week I had it. Last week I celibrated my 10th anniversary with the company and the owner handed me a check to pay for my Monterey trip next week. He told me if it doesn't cover all of my expenses to just send him an expense report and he will pay me back. We also only have 2 covered parking places designated for our office (the boss and his wife), he always tells me to take his spot when I drive the Ferrari. One employee gives me a hard time, pretty much every day, but hey she doesn't sign my check.

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I wouldn't do it............ I don't think it is prudent to take a chance on changing perceptions in the work environment. You might be the one guy who has an understanding boss, but chances are slim this will work in your favor. It's always better to be humble in most settings. For me, I own the company and wouldn't drive it to the office. It's just not the perception I want to give.

Hell, I have enough neighbors who mumble...... I don't need employees doing it. Most, I would think, don't want their bosses raising an eyebrow.

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    What was really hard to explain was when I had the 2 Ferrari's coming to work.... My old boss actually did drive a Camry. :) Heck of a nice guy though.

I changed jobs at work this past Monday. My new boss has a Pantera & loves my TR. :)

24. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    I agree there is always a perception risk run when myself as the owner shows up to work in my 355.Better IMO to take a humbler approach.The guys don't need the constant reminder.Even though they would say different if asked.=,and halfway believe their own bull****.

I am definatly not a lay low type of person and this alone sometime offends as is but hey can't please everyone all the time................

I appreciate the car for its lookmand performance "not" because the name .

25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Dont do it. IMO it is always best to be humble. But being humble doesnt mean you should not get what you want.

Did you take Latin?